At Hard Times: One pocket

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Stop quarrels about the opponent racking. Then they went to rack your own, but some learned to make a ball. Stops Table mechanics from doctoring the break to increase their advantage by making the corner ball.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Joe, I really wish that you and Greg could have picked a different date for this event. Yes, they are 1,930 miles apart, but the Seniors
one pocket tournament is a very popular venue attended by and watched by many of our longtime members.
With all the past rhetoric about scheduling tournaments on top of each other, here we go again.

One pocket's popularity is growing faster than ever. I am disappointed that I will not be able to watch the stream of this tournament, as I try to
watch as much as I can.

Bogies' owners and management have contributed greatly to the one pocket scene so many years in the past, they really deserve
our loyalty and patronage. PoolActionTV will be streaming with expert commentary.

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I got to say about that."

Reactions: lll

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Joe, I really wish that you and Greg could have picked a different date for this event. Yes, they are 1,930 miles apart, but the Seniors
one pocket tournament is a very popular venue attended by and watched by many of our longtime members.
With all the past rhetoric about scheduling tournaments on top of each other, here we go again.

One pocket's popularity is growing faster than ever. I am disappointed that I will not be able to watch the stream of this tournament, as I try to
watch as much as I can.

Bogies' owners and management have contributed greatly to the one pocket scene so many years in the past, they really deserve
our loyalty and patronage. PoolActionTV will be streaming with expert commentary.

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I got to say about that."

BRLongArm

Verified Member
When we approached Oscar about a West Coast one pocket event, he was all in. He also supported the idea of a free stream. We committed to this tournament last year. With the entry fee and location, I doubt more than 2 or 3 players have to choose which event they will play in. I believe Oscar put his dates up before the Buffalos event. And with the free stream, there is no choice. Fans can go back and forth if they choose to.

Oscar Dominguez is one of the good guys in our sport. We support him because he is a good ambassador for pool and one pocket. This will be the biggest event west of the Mississippi this year. The fact that Bogies has put their event on the same weekend is a small inconvenience, but I don't think it was intentional. And I know Oscar is not intentionally trying to hurt anyone. Our stream is free. Watch it if you can. I hope Bogies has the stream up when they play.

And I take all your comments to heart because I don't like counterprogramming either. But sometimes it cannot be helped. Bogies is streaming and I know Poolactiontv has a very busy schedule. And by the way, Greg and I didn't pick this date. We put up the money and everything else is decided by the room owner.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I am sponsoring the following tournaments in 2022:

1. Scotty Townsend Memorial
2. Buffalos Pro Classic
3. Midwest Open at Michael's Billiards
4. Diamond Open at Hard Times
5. Onepocket.org Members tournament in Hague 5, Netherlands

Each of these events punch way above their weight. Scotty and Buffalo are Pro tournaments with limited fields and high entry. Midwest and Diamond Open are "David v. Goliath" formats. The members tournament in Europe is important to identify and encourage those members in Europe that love our game. Greg is supporting the below tournaments in 2022:

1. Derby City Classic (which is the equivalent of 10 events)
2. Midwest Open at Michael's Billiards
3. Diamond Open at Hard Times

His company is also supporting many events with tables, cloth and technicians as needed.

Next year, I have committed to Birmingham's one pocket event as well. We are looking for a suitable venue on the East Coast for a David v. Goliath event if any of you are aware of a good venue. The number one thing we need is the room owner. Give me a great room owner, good one pocket support locally and anything is possible.

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Stop quarrels about the opponent racking. Then they went to rack your own, but some learned to make a ball. Stops Table mechanics from doctoring the break to increase their advantage by making the corner ball.
Joe,

I respect all you do for OP. I also understand the reason for reracking if a ball falls in playing rack your own. But if your above post is supposed to serve as a "reasoned" explanation for reracking after a breaker makes a ball and scratches and why it's good for the game, I personally think it falls very short.

I don't see how forgiving a scratch because a ball fell in stops any kind of manipulation of the rack, or any arguing about anything. It just unnecessarily forgives the scratch in this one unique situation for no good reason. Part of the game is to avoid scratching whether it is on the break or at any other time in the game.

It may very well be that if mechanics have learned how to make a ball on the break or just get a better break by manipulating the rack, they may knowingly subject themselves to an increased risk of scratching in doing so.....and therefore should pay the penalty for doing so.

But, you carry on as you please...I just think it is not a good thing to be forgiving scratches under any circumstance and still don't see the reason for doing that, sorry.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Why kick this dead horse? Besides, the chance of making a ball in your pocket AND scratching are probably thousands to 1. I've never even seen it happen, have you?
This happened two weeks ago when I was playing 1holenut. I called foul and Jason said re-rack. When we were at the MOT Steve said it was a foul.

Any scratch is a foul as far as I’m concerned

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I am sponsoring the following tournaments in 2022:

1. Scotty Townsend Memorial
2. Buffalos Pro Classic
3. Midwest Open at Michael's Billiards
4. Diamond Open at Hard Times
5. Onepocket.org Members tournament in Hague 5, Netherlands

Each of these events punch way above their weight. Scotty and Buffalo are Pro tournaments with limited fields and high entry. Midwest and Diamond Open are "David v. Goliath" formats. The members tournament in Europe is important to identify and encourage those members in Europe that love our game. Greg is supporting the below tournaments in 2022:

1. Derby City Classic (which is the equivalent of 10 events)
2. Midwest Open at Michael's Billiards
3. Diamond Open at Hard Times

His company is also supporting many events with tables, cloth and technicians as needed.

Next year, I have committed to Birmingham's one pocket event as well. We are looking for a suitable venue on the East Coast for a David v. Goliath event if any of you are aware of a good venue. The number one thing we need is the room owner. Give me a great room owner, good one pocket support locally and anything is possible.
I’ve signed up for the Seniors but I might switch to Hard Times if my schedule allows it

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
This happened two weeks ago when I was playing 1holenut. I called foul and Jason said re-rack. When we were at the MOT Steve said it was a foul.

Yeah, I agree. Scratch negates the ball made. I just don't think it's worth worrying about if that's not the rule at the tournament.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I am sure I said that because our rules say this (I added the underlining for emphasis here -- the underlining is not in the rules)

2.3.2 Modern re-rack option: When playing “rack your own”, players may agree, or a tournament director may stipulate, that in the event the breaker scores a ball in their own pocket on the break, the breaker is to re-rack and break again, rather than scoring the ball and continuing their inning.
My interpretation being, you do not actually score if you also scratch -- ever. So you would only be continuing your inning if you made a ball without scratching. Therefore it is not a rerack if you make a ball and scratch.

However, I am also well aware that many pro players (and most certainly non-pros too) do in fact strongly prefer to rerack if they make a ball EVEN IF THEY SCRATCH at the same time. The way they explain it to me is that under these new rerack rules, they are already being punished for a perfect break; they should not be further punished for a perfect break when they happen to scratch. If players agree to play that way, of course they should play that way -- unless they get overruled by a referee or TD in a tournament situation.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I am sure I said that because our rules say this (I added the underlining for emphasis here -- the underlining is not in the rules)

2.3.2 Modern re-rack option: When playing “rack your own”, players may agree, or a tournament director may stipulate, that in the event the breaker scores a ball in their own pocket on the break, the breaker is to re-rack and break again, rather than scoring the ball and continuing their inning.
My interpretation being, you do not actually score if you also scratch -- ever. So you would only be continuing your inning if you made a ball without scratching. Therefore it is not a rerack if you make a ball and scratch.

However, I am also well aware that many pro players (and most certainly non-pros too) do in fact strongly prefer to rerack if they make a ball EVEN IF THEY SCRATCH at the same time. The way they explain it to me is that under these new rerack rules, they are already being punished for a perfect break; they should not be further punished for a perfect break when they happen to scratch. If players agree to play that way, of course they should play that way -- unless they get overruled by a referee or TD in a tournament situation.
Of course you are correct that people can play individually any way they want to......this should have NO effect on the official rules.

Do you really think that your above rule that says players and TD's can do this or that has any restrictive effect on what they decide to do any time they choose to do it? Why is it even mentioned in the rules?

I had the very same experience that Pilot relates a year or so ago.....playing one of the best players in Baltimore, playing rerack because he wanted to do so.....no discussion of what happens if there's a scratch.....he breaks, makes a ball and scratches.....immediately he starts arguing he gets to rerack and break again.....to which I say NFW....ultimately he's ready to fight (unbelievable)....I let it go and now he's established how we and most locals want to play....stupid, IMHO.

Everybody wants to take the breakers side....what about the opponent....why should he "be penalized" and have to forgive a scratch....

MY point to you is this rule and rerack itself makes no sense and solves no problem. For decades OP was played with the opponent racking and the breaker always had the right to inspect the rack, no problem. There are endless reasons to argue about something in OP....you can't stop argumentative people from arguing. Ignore the crybabies.

Otherwise, they are gonna get in your pants...... :rolleyes:

unoperro

Verified Member
Joe,

I respect all you do for OP. I also understand the reason for reracking if a ball falls in playing rack your own. But if your above post is supposed to serve as a "reasoned" explanation for reracking after a breaker makes a ball and scratches and why it's good for the game, I personally think it falls very short.

I don't see how forgiving a scratch because a ball fell in stops any kind of manipulation of the rack, or any arguing about anything. It just unnecessarily forgives the scratch in this one unique situation for no good reason. Part of the game is to avoid scratching whether it is on the break or at any other time in the game.

It may very well be that if mechanics have learned how to make a ball on the break or just get a better break by manipulating the rack, they may knowingly subject themselves to an increased risk of scratching in doing so.....and therefore should pay the penalty for doing so.

But, you carry on as you please...I just think it is not a good thing to be forgiving scratches under any circumstance and still don't see the reason for doing that, sorry.
Funny that the purpose of shooting is to score but if you are breaking it is to not make a ball? See the irony there?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Funny that the purpose of shooting is to score but if you are breaking it is to not make a ball? See the irony there?
There are plenty of players that prefer the traditional way — and that is in fact still there in our rules also, I just did not quote that section because here it was already stated they were playing rerack.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I don't know of any pro or open tournament that doesn't play rerack. Are there any major tournaments that still play keep shooting?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Why not.. You rack, you break, you sit? ... If you scratch, it's still just like old school op. If you make a good or bad break and nothing goes, it still old school op.. But if you make one in your pocket, then you get credit for it just like always, but it's the other guys shot. That helps nullify some quirky shit going on with a table that has been beat on, or for whatever reason, a ball in scooting in on the break???

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Why not.. You rack, you break, you sit? ... If you scratch, it's still just like old school op. If you make a good or bad break and nothing goes, it still old school op.. But if you make one in your pocket, then you get credit for it just like always, but it's the other guys shot. That helps nullify some quirky shit going on with a table that has been beat on, or for whatever reason, a ball in scooting in on the break???
Are you still arguing about an issue that has been decided? Everything you said is logical, but the train has left the station. I understand that the rule agreed on is not perfect, but which one is? I am ok with the rule, even though it has some logical inconsistencies, as you point out. As we said in the army, keep it simple, stupid. This is a bright line rule everyone can understand, even if they don't like it.

unoperro

Verified Member
Are you still arguing about an issue that has been decided? Everything you said is logical, but the train has left the station. I understand that the rule agreed on is not perfect, but which one is? I am ok with the rule, even though it has some logical inconsistencies, as you point out. As we said in the army, keep it simple, stupid. This is a bright line rule everyone can understand, even if they don't like it.
Jimmy B's rule is KISS also 😉

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Yes Sir....... Another old saying I would use at my businesses.... "I pay, I say'. And you have been paying a lot in time and dough. Let's Get It ON!!! I agree...The train has left. I love a free stream. Thank you...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Why kick this dead horse? Besides, the chance of making a ball in your pocket AND scratching are probably thousands to 1. I've never even seen it happen, have you?
Making a ball on the break and scratching happens many times when a player is actually trying to make a ball on the break!

It's that fine line between the front and 2nd ball that causes the OB to be made and that, slightest kiss on the 2nd that causes the CB to scratch.

I'd take that, 1,000-1 and would go for 500-1 on the onions!

BTW, breaking the balls in 1P to, 'Open them up' requires a different, timing, tempo, stroke. Just like in 9 ball only softer.

Making a ball on the break requires a more, 'precisely measured' follow-thru.