CAN YOU NAME WHO IS IN THIS PICTURE???

jay helfert

Verified Member
I thought the guy in the back row holding his cue was a short guy named Jr. Goff and I thought the guy in the second row next to Beenie was the man himself, Hayden Lingo.
Thank you, you are correct. My memory failed me there. Jr. Norris was another good player. The man in the photo is indeed Jr. Goff!

jay helfert

Verified Member
I thought the guy in the back row holding his cue was a short guy named Jr. Goff and I thought the guy in the second row next to Beenie was the man himself, Hayden Lingo.
You could well be right. I didn't know him and wouldn't have known him if I had seen him. That does look like him from the few pics I've seen. I did know Irish. He was also a small man but balding, so I'm probably wrong on him. I'm not sure if Lingo actually played in the event. He must have if he's in that photo. He is alleged to be the man who invented One Pocket in the 1930's in Oklahoma. I would date this photo as being from 1963 or 64, and I was there both years. Probably 1963 because Cornbread, Puckett and Ronnie were there by 1964.

The best One Pocket player in this photo has to be Eddie Taylor. This was in his prime, before Ronnie took over.

jay helfert

Verified Member
I'd say either Johnny Irish or Eddie Taylor.
I played Irish in New York (9-Ball) in the mid 1960's (in 7/11). He was old then and no longer competitive with the top players. His heyday was 1940's and 50's. He could still beat a kid like me at $2 9-Ball! That's not him in the photo. Probably Hayden Lingo.

jay helfert

Verified Member
i will start a list
edit this list is with the help of all the respoders
first row
1)danny gartner.....2)AlCoslosky....3Alton "babyface" Whitlow......4)paulie jansco 5) george jansco 6)detroit whitey ....8)danny diliberto...... j 9) norman jockey howard
second row
1weenie beenie...2)hayden lingo...3)sonny springer...4) eddie taylor 5)tugboat whaley...6don watson ,, 7) luther wimpy lassiter...8)joey spaeth ....9?...
third row
1bunny rugoff...2)junior norris...3)cicero murphy...4)earl shriver,...5")jersey red" jack breit...6)tom cosmo.....
I don't see a #9 next to Spaeth? Is he missing from this photo?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I played Irish in New York (9-Ball) in the mid 1960's (in 7/11). He was old then and no longer competitive with the top players. His heyday was 1940's and 50's. He could still beat a kid like me at $2 9-Ball! That's not him in the photo. Probably Hayden Lingo.

Thanks so much, Jay.. Here's a photo I blew up of Lineen. just for fun.. . It occurs to me he might have just sort of dropped his last name off kinda like some actors do... He should be in the hof imo.... And do you remember if Tugboat played at all that year or was he just used as a ref?

2022-08-01 00_16_35-Window.png

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
as wrong as some things might have been in the past, there was also a lot more right.

men were men. dressed and acted respectfully. my grandad and great uncles would never curse in front of a woman. if you were out of line, an ass-whooping would never, ever, end up in a law suit - probably had it coming - if not, should have gotten off first - the end.

these people grew up through the depression, fought a war (where there was no choice - us or them), and not a lot of chickenshit stuff existed.

a bye gone era.

(they'd all get drilled by today's players.....:D)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes, people were better back then. I happen to be more than a fair judge of character, if I do say so myself. Although I didn't know this gent, I can say without a doubt, that he was a fine distinguished, honorable, individual. Even his upright posture and attire as he sits for the picture, says a lot. His name, Beauchene, strikes me as hallowed and acclaimed. This is one of the group that I would put on a plane with my entire roll to go score in some other state or country. Agree?

2022-08-01 01_54_53-Window.png

• Haha
Reactions: lll

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Yes, people were better back then. I happen to be more than a fair judge of character, if I do say so myself. Although I didn't know this gent, I can say without a doubt, that he was a fine distinguished, honorable, individual. Even his upright posture and attire as he sits for the picture, says a lot. His name, Beauchene, strikes me as hallowed and acclaimed. This is one of the group that I would put on a plane with my entire roll to go score in some other state or country. Agree?

View attachment 438779

Sir Edward Beauchene himself would agree with you.

Your money would be safe with him.

😆

Jimmy B

Verified Member
no jay
there is no 9 in that row

Right, Larry. I've seen that photo several times in several places, and I've never seen anyone to the right of The Jockey, Joey, or Cosmo. I have seen old heads miss getting Cosmo's name at all. Lots of people of all ages thought he was some entertainer slash comic slash singer slash vaudevillian, but he was a good straight pooler. I don't mean top ten but I mean look at this from the same year (I think). The straight pool board. He's three and three against monsters. Meanwhile Hayden Lingo is O and 5. So from here on out, if anyone says to me he couldn't play again, I'm just going to go ahead and slap the piss out of them.

2022-08-01 19_53_52-Window.png

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

View attachment 438779

Sir Edward Beauchene himself would agree with you.

Your money would be safe with him.

😆

Better known as 'Detroit Whitey!'

ok, i get it. you cherry picked a piece of trash (that apparently jerked off dogs or something disgusting like that...) and was an all around opportunistic and bad man in every way imaginable.....

sure. bad/evil people have always been with us.

my overiding point being...generally speaking...there was once decorum in society....(and being an asshole was looked down upon)

:unsure: