Gorst v. Frost One pocket July 8-10, 2022 on Omegabilliards.com

1pwannabe

Verified Member
He'll never be the shot maker he once was, but that doesn't mean he forgets all his knowledge. When playing a Dennis, or an Alex, or a Tony, you have to slow them down. Playing Fedor means pushing the balls up table and using your knowledge to offset the fire power. When you give up a shot, you give up one ball. Scott never even tried to do that. In three days, the longest game was 61 minutes once. The average game today lasted 13 minutes. Missing balls is understood and forgivable. Playing right in to your opponent's strength is unforgivable when you are a Hall of Famer. Very disappointed.
To be honest, he never got a chance to knock balls up table. Gorst was so aggressive and precise it looked like he knew power 1p better than Scott. His cue ball control was just too good and left very little for Scott to shoot at. I think the first day was enough for Fedor to understand Scott and his abilities and shot selection, the rest was putting on a clinic on how to shut that all down and dominate.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Robert Frost slowed him down in Houston. Calderon showed all of them how to beat Gorst at Buffalos. Squeeze him, move them up table and break him. It can be done, but you have to commit to it. It's not a comfortable way to play, I agree. Chip Compton might not be able to beat Gorst, but I guarantee you that he will take him into deep waters. He won't let Gorst run around the table and have fun. As Henderson said, "He might beat me, but he'll be too tired to spend the money."

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Robert Frost slowed him down in Houston. Calderon showed all of them how to beat Gorst at Buffalos. Squeeze him, move them up table and break him. It can be done, but you have to commit to it. It's not a comfortable way to play, I agree. Chip Compton might not be able to beat Gorst, but I guarantee you that he will take him into deep waters. He won't let Gorst run around the table and have fun. As Henderson said, "He might beat me, but he'll be too tired to spend the money."
Just keep in mind that Gorst is learning the game at an accelerated rate and whatever worked before probably won't work now. Like Josh said, he's a sponge and learns something every time he plays a game.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am sure there will be a lot of matches before then, but it will be fireworks to see Gorst vs Filler one day. I just hope it resembles one pocket and not just shoot until you miss. :)

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Just keep in mind that Gorst is learning the game at an accelerated rate and whatever worked before probably won't work now. Like Josh said, he's a sponge and learns something every time he plays a game.
We've seen this before. Dennis in 2016 was a sucker. In 2017, he was beating almost everyone, but he still didn't know the game at the elite level. The Dennis of 2022 could give his 2017 self 10-8. In 2017, Lil John was beating Dennis 11-6, and Lil' John was winning the end game. Not so much now. Fedor and Filler are going through the same process. Fedor is learning shots, but he hasn't been put in the sweat box yet in a long, grueling game. Calderon had him beat in New Orleans, but Fedor survived to take 4th place. Robert Frost put him in deep water in Houston, and beat him in a long, grueling match. At this level, a lot of it is mental. And on behalf of one pocket enthusiasts everywhere, I don't want Fedor to have a cheap trip up the ladder. I like him and think he is the future, along with Filler, but knowledge still means something. Here's to hoping Chip can give him a huge dose of one pocket defensive play, combined with timely offense and banking. What will Fedor do when he doesn't have an offensive shot in 10 minutes?

Maxwell

Verified Member
Gorst seemed to do everything right except shooting long shots. The only thing I remember him missing much were long shots where the cue ball is fairly close to the object ball but the pocket was far away. These shots can be challenging for anyone but they were the only shots I remember him missing.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This match was not a good barometer of what Fedor does poorly or average because Scott was too busy trying to out shoot a man 25 years younger than he is. If you want to see how to put the heat on Fedor, watch his match with Robert Frost in the Houston open or his match with Calderon in Buffalos Pro Classic. They took him into deep water. Frost cracked him in Houston and Calderon took him where he had never been before Gorst made a good out to beat him double hill. You aren't going to outshoot Fedor. You have to deny him any air; play stifling defense on him and move the balls up table to defend against his firepower. That means long, slow, painful games. He is human and he will miss, but after you get him out of tempo. The way Chip cracked Roberto Gomez is the way to beat Fedor. Play up table, move them into the wedge and see what he DOES NOT know. Eventually, you see the cracks. No one is a finished one pocket product at 21. No one.