2022 Top 10

BRLongArm

Verified Member
The following players are not considered based on inactivity: Bustamante, Daulton, Bergman, Owen, Orcollo, Filler

1. Tony Chohan: His tournament record speaks for itself
2. Alex Pagulayan: A little off his normal dominance
3. Chip Compton: Has dominated action matches, but indifferent in tournament play
4. Scott Frost: Mostly a tournament player now, is still a threat in any match
5. Josh Roberts: Most improved player in 2022.
6. Shane Van Boening: Still a threat, though does not play much.
7. Justin Hall: Perennial top 10
8. Fedor Gorst: Moving up quickly
9. Carlo Biado: Like Fedor, another contender learning quickly
10. Evan Lunda: Doesn't play much, but good finish at Buffalos

Honorable mention: Deuel, Gomez, Garcia, Calderon, Morra, Kiamco

This compilation is based on 2022 performance, not potential. Action matches and tournament finishes were the criteria. Chohan is nearly 20K above the next competitor, and has won four tournaments thus far this year. Alex has won one tournament, and not been involved in any action matches. Compton has defeated everyone he has gambled with even except Chohan. This includes his thrilling win against Frost in October and his dominant win against Hall in February. Josh Roberts is the number 2 money player this year Justin Hall played one money match, losing to Chip Compton in February. Fedor Gorst is our breakout player this year, bursting onto the scene with his Derby City wins. Carlo Biado is a close second in breakout player, defeating Chip Compton hill hill getting 9/8 at the Scotty Townsend. Biado is 8th in 2022 cash earnings in one pocket.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was going to start one of these the other day, thanks for beating me to it and as always for your infinite knowledge on the topic! I think you are pretty dead on. My only comments would be:

- It's close for the number one position. Hard to bet against Alex on any heads up match period. I think Tony/Alex/Dennis are top 3 when they are all playing and in good form.

- I still am a Deuel fan so I don't know if I would drop him from the top 10 (I think he fits well somewhere between 7 and 10)

- Morra consistently keeps impressing me every time I see him play. He definitely could land in the top 10 also.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was going to start one of these the other day, thanks for beating me to it and as always for your infinite knowledge on the topic! I think you are pretty dead on. My only comments would be:

- It's close for the number one position. Hard to bet against Alex on any heads up match period. I think Tony/Alex/Dennis are top 3 when they are all playing and in good form.

- I still am a Deuel fan so I don't know if I would drop him from the top 10 (I think he fits well somewhere between 7 and 10)

- Morra consistently keeps impressing me every time I see him play. He definitely could land in the top 10 also.
Morra is really intriguing. Here is a player that I would have always lumped into the "9/10 Ball tournament player" category. Yet the last couple of years it seems he is showing a genuine interest in One Pocket, and in heads up action matches. I think he had a pretty serious bout with Lil John at this last Buffalo's for example. I never saw him as that sort of player before -- but then again, I don't get it out much and might have just been oblivious. But is sure seems like he is recently 100% embracing One Pocket and the action side of pool these days, which is great to see.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Morra is really intriguing. Here is a player that I would have always lumped into the "9/10 Ball tournament player" category. Yet the last couple of years it seems he is showing a genuine interest in One Pocket, and in heads up action matches. I think he had a pretty serious bout with Lil John at this last Buffalo's for example. I never saw him as that sort of player before -- but then again, I don't get it out much and might have just been oblivious. But is sure seems like he is recently 100% embracing One Pocket and the action side of pool these days, which is great to see.
Since John moved to Vegas a couple of years ago, he's been exposed to plenty of 1P. Lots of people playing 1P in Vegas with a number of high dollar games going on.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The following players are not considered based on inactivity: Bustamante, Daulton, Bergman, Owen, Orcollo, Filler

1. Tony Chohan: His tournament record speaks for itself
2. Alex Pagulayan: A little off his normal dominance
3. Chip Compton: Has dominated action matches, but indifferent in tournament play
4. Scott Frost: Mostly a tournament player now, is still a threat in any match
5. Josh Roberts: Most improved player in 2022.
6. Shane Van Boening: Still a threat, though does not play much.
7. Justin Hall: Perennial top 10
8. Fedor Gorst: Moving up quickly
9. Carlo Biado: Like Fedor, another contender learning quickly
10. Evan Lunda: Doesn't play much, but good finish at Buffalos

Honorable mention: Deuel, Gomez, Garcia, Calderon, Morra, Kiamco
Do you think Josh Roberts might have jumped above Chip and Scott or at least equal footing?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Do you think Josh Roberts might have jumped above Chip and Scott or at least equal footing?
Chip is playing Tony 9/8-Even in a couple weeks at Skinny Bob's. In 2020, I staked Josh getting 8-7 from Tony and it wasn't close. I'll have to see how Tony does with Chip before I can answer that. I know Chip dusted Tony getting 9/8 last two times they played and Tony dusted him playing even. They are splitting the difference on Chip's home table in Austin this time, so Chip has no excuse. Would Josh play Tony like that? No, I don't think so. So conventional wisdom is that Josh has improved enough to play the top 10 even, but not the top 5. That's still a 9/8 improvement for Josh.

Reactions: lll

BRLongArm

Verified Member

Morra lost a big money match against Mike Banks, Jr. He is not even on the radar, but was a great junior player. Many don't know that.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Since John moved to Vegas a couple of years ago, he's been exposed to plenty of 1P. Lots of people playing 1P in Vegas with a number of high dollar games going on.
I didn't realize Lil John moved to Vegas. Thought he was still camping in Cajun country (Lafayette, etc.). Is he working? I believe at one point he had a job out on the oil platforms, courtesy of one of the guys who owned the old Hattiesburg "Green Room" poolroom. I always enjoyed watching LJ. He's a very stylish player, although he doesn't always match up well.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I didn't realize Lil John moved to Vegas. Thought he was still camping in Cajun country (Lafayette, etc.). Is he working? I believe at one point he had a job out on the oil platforms, courtesy of one of the guys who owned the old Hattiesburg "Green Room" poolroom. I always enjoyed watching LJ. He's a very stylish player, although he doesn't always match up well.
Wrong John. Morra is in Vegas improving every day. Lil Jon is living in Metairie now.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Sorry I didn’t say Morra

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Hard to put Tony over Alex imo, Alex has beaten Tony soundly for the cash, the last time they played which wasn't all to long ago ( 6 months maybe? ) Alex torched Tony giving him 9/8.

I know you know these things, just wondering why ur always trying to put Dennis or Tony above clearly the best One Pocket player on the planet.

Time.for a.realiatic list for 2022
All lists start with the reigning King 👑 ( drumroll )
1 - Alex the Lion

2. Tony the tiger

Here's where we shake things up
3. Fedor Gorst ( literly worked his way to this spot already )
4 Scott Frost

5. Josh Roberts

6. Chip Chompton

7 Alex Calderon

8 Shane Van Boeing

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Hard to put Tony over Alex imo, Alex has beaten Tony soundly for the cash, the last time they played which wasn't all to long ago ( 6 months maybe? ) Alex torched Tony giving him 9/8.

I know you know these things, just wondering why ur always trying to put Dennis or Tony above clearly the best One Pocket player on the planet.

Time.for a.realiatic list for 2022
All lists start with the reigning King 👑 ( drumroll )
1 - Alex the Lion

2. Tony the tiger

Here's where we shake things up
3. Fedor Gorst ( literly worked his way to this spot already )
4 Scott Frost

5. Josh Roberts

6. Chip Chompton

7 Alex Calderon

8 Shane Van Boeing
I am a big Alex fan, but results matter. Tony has won 4 of the last 5 tournaments in 2022, including beating Alex twice head to head. Should I ignore these results? Alex and Tony played last year and Alex won soundly. But it is a different year, and for this year, Tony is playing better. I think we will see Alex and Tony play in New Orleans soon. If Tony beats Chip, that is the match to make. I understand your argument, and it is sound. Until somebody beats Alex head to head, he's number one. But we don't get many gambling matches these days. So tournaments are our measuring stick. And in tournament play, Tony is by far the money leader.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Wrong John. Morra is in Vegas improving every day. Lil Jon is living in Metairie now.
Ah, sooo... I misread Steve's comment, "...I think he [Morra] had a pretty serious bout with Lil John at this last Buffalo's for example..."

Metairie is a good place for Lil John M. I don't believe he would feel comfortable living anywhere outside of Dixie. I know that I wouldn't...:cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Based upon watching the Chohan/Gorst match in N.O. (admittedly a tiny sample), I wouldn't be able to consider Fedor in the top 6 or 8 1P players. He's a lethal ball pocketer, and has excellent pool sense, but it'll be a little while before he's able to crack the very top echelon.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Based upon watching the Chohan/Gorst match in N.O. (admittedly a tiny sample), I wouldn't be able to consider Fedor in the top 6 or 8 1P players. He's a lethal ball pocketer, and has excellent pool sense, but it'll be a little while before he's able to crack the very top echelon.
I'd be willing to bet that outside of the top 5 including the Philippinos you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to gamble big with Fedor playing even, and this is a kid that doesn't even fancy the game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The thing is, these days learning the nuances of the game of One Pocket is actually the easy part -- developing the general advanced pool skills is the hard part, and he already is a full blown adult pool prodigy. It is no fluke he won the DCC One Pocket and Banks, and came damn close to sweeping the all around there! How long did it take Harold Worst?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
H
Fedor just split the one pocket finals with some of the usual suspects in it with Jesse Bowman at the Bar Box Classic in East Moline, IL. The 8 ball and 10 ball were played on Valley Bar Tables, and they do play quite a bit different than Diamond’s. It was interesting to watch Fedor navigate his way through and adjust his game to the different conditions. IMO he is liable to win at any game on any table against any player. Roberto Gomez won both bar table divisions. Mary Kenniston has a great article on Facebook and AZ Billiards about the tournament.

He and Kristina are supposed to be in Sacramento later this week at Hard Times, so I may get a chance to check him out first hand. Lucky for him I am not back playing yet lol.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
H

Fedor just split the one pocket finals with some of the usual suspects in it with Jesse Bowman at the Bar Box Classic in East Moline, IL. The 8 ball and 10 ball were played on Valley Bar Tables, and they do play quite a bit different than Diamond’s. It was interesting to watch Fedor navigate his way through and adjust his game to the different conditions. IMO he is liable to win at any game on any table against any player. Roberto Gomez won both bar table divisions. Mary Kenniston has a great article on Facebook and AZ Billiards about the tournament.

He and Kristina are supposed to be in Sacramento later this week at Hard Times, so I may get a chance to check him out first hand. Lucky for him I am not back playing yet lol.
Thanks for the report John. I hope you get back to playing soon

Reactions: lll

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I just watched the Make it Happen match between Efren and Danny Smith, Know Efren is "retired" but what happened to Smith? That match was great.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I just watched the Make it Happen match between Efren and Danny Smith, Know Efren is "retired" but what happened to Smith? That match was great.
Danny still has one of the smoothest strokes I have seen. I think he just started playing again for the buffalos tournament that recently happened.