Players to watch 2022

BRLongArm

Verified Member
With some of our old stalwarts out of action (Dennis, Busty, Danny Smith), we look forward to new blood threatening the top 15 this year. My candidates for breakout:

1. Joshua Filler: He's coming, and hell's coming with him.
2. Roland Garcia: Learning fast and cash already, he has an underrated style but his pedigree is elite.
3. Devin Poteet: Bubbled the monster Buffalo's tournament in his first attempt at One Pocket's premier field in 2021.
4. John Morra: Some would say he is already in the top 15, but he's now an elite one pocket player.
5. James Aranas: Been under Dennis wing for several years, now is the time for James to make that leap into the elite ranks.
6. Fedor Gorst: With his cue control, ball pocketing and pool IQ, I expect Fedor to be elite this year.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
some good picks there Joe. Speaking of top 15, what does that look like now in 2022 in your opinion, with the players missing above out of it? I know about Dennis, but did Busty have something similar? No Danny Smith because he isn't playing much lately or? (just curious)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
With some of our old stalwarts out of action (Dennis, Busty, Danny Smith), we look forward to new blood threatening the top 15 this year. My candidates for breakout:

1. Joshua Filler: He's coming, and hell's coming with him.
2. Roland Garcia: Learning fast and cash already, he has an underrated style but his pedigree is elite.
3. Devin Poteet: Bubbled the monster Buffalo's tournament in his first attempt at One Pocket's premier field in 2021.
4. John Morra: Some would say he is already in the top 15, but he's now an elite one pocket player.
5. James Aranas: Been under Dennis wing for several years, now is the time for James to make that leap into the elite ranks.
6. Fedor Gorst: With his cue control, ball pocketing and pool IQ, I expect Fedor to be elite this year.
I’m guessing that list isn’t in any pecking order, other than Filler

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Looking back at my prognostications, what do we see?

1. Filler: Still hasn't come over to play one pocket, but he has been his usual dominant self in rotation.
2. Roland Garcia: had early success in one pocket but went home in March.
3. Poteet: has retired from pool.
4. Morra: made a bang in action at Buffalos. He has improved.
5. Aranas: stuck in the Philippines
6. Gorst: breakout player in 2022

Biado is one we missed. Look forward to seeing his steady improvement.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Looking back at my prognostications, what do we see?

1. Filler: Still hasn't come over to play one pocket, but he has been his usual dominant self in rotation.
2. Roland Garcia: had early success in one pocket but went home in March.
3. Poteet: has retired from pool.
4. Morra: made a bang in action at Buffalos. He has improved.
5. Aranas: stuck in the Philippines
6. Gorst: breakout player in 2022

Biado is one we missed. Look forward to seeing his steady improvement.
Maybe one additional player.
Robert Frost said he’s going to be playing a lot more 1P and traveling to tournaments. He did go Two and Out at Buffalo’s, both matches went hill hill.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Robert Frost said he’s going to be playing a lot more 1P and traveling to tournaments. He did go Two and Out at Buffalo’s, both matches went hill hill.
Come on, man.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
He was always a solid player, among the best who played when they could while at the same time holding down a genuine day job outside of pool. But his recent surge is fueled by him taking a sabbatical from his day job, so he is playing a LOT more. Might need to add him if he continues to jump his game! Or drop him if he goes back to work lol.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
One Question: Who in the top 15 would he beat in a long session? Filler? Deuel? Morra? Kiamco? Biado? Fedor? JHall? Lunda? If the answer is anyone, I'll bet the don't. He's a good guy and he plays good, but he is not elite yet.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
One Question: Who in the top 15 would he beat in a long session? Filler? Deuel? Morra? Kiamco? Biado? Fedor? JHall? Lunda? If the answer is anyone, I'll bet the don't. He's a good guy and he plays good, but he is not elite yet.
His Fargo is about 100 points low of most of those guys..... I know some don't like Fargo, but I've found it to be a pretty good indicator.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Good indicator of firepower. And that's
His Fargo is about 100 points low of most of those guys..... I know some don't like Fargo, but I've found it to be a pretty good indicator.
Fargo is the firepower element. And that's what he lacks. He has all the other elements; banking, safety play, knowledge. But he is not an elite ball maker and that is why I believe he is not in the top 15.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Justin Hall, Fargo rate- 757
Alex Calderon, FR 750
Evan Lunda, FR 745
Robert Frost, FR 704

I guess you should work on your math skills :ROFLMAO:

I'm just saying lets see what he does in the future. He did win Big Tyme against some tough players

Last edited:

shw

Verified Member
Justin Hall, Fargo rate- 757
Alex Calderon, FR 750
Evan Lunda, FR 745
Robert Frost, FR 704

I guess you should work on your math skills :ROFLMAO:

I'm just saying lets see what he does in the future. He did win Big Tyme against some tough players
Robert also finished 3rd in the Southeastern One Pocket in March 2022 against some tough players. Mora and JHall were also there.

Screenshot from 2022-06-04 09-29-11.png

I do agree he lacks the ball pocketing firepower of an Alex, Oculla, Filler, Fedor, etc. but he's one of the better bankers out there and one of the best in the world at multi-rail banks (always in action with BillyT, Delawder, etc.). He also focuses better than most, nothing seems to shake him when he's in a match.

I think he has a chance against Kiamco, Biado, Lunda in a long match.

Still maybe not in the elite today but close and may get there if he stays on it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Robert also finished 3rd in the Southeastern One Pocket in March 2022 against some tough players. Mora and JHall were also there.

View attachment 438326

I do agree he lacks the ball pocketing firepower of an Alex, Oculla, Filler, Fedor, etc. but he's one of the better bankers out there and one of the best in the world at multi-rail banks (always in action with BillyT, Delawder, etc.). He also focuses better than most, nothing seems to shake him when he's in a match.

I think he has a chance against Kiamco, Biado, Lunda in a long match.

Still maybe not in the elite today but close and may get there if he stays on it.
In that tournament be beat Billy Thorpe 771, Can Salim 762, and Josh Roberts 776.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Would anyone stake him in a race to 30 against any player in the top 15?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Once in a while, you see a player hit a gear, where they do in fact move up a chunk in the pecking order. The jury is still out on Robert Frost, but at the moment, he seems to be making one of those moves, propelled by his giving up his day job (at least for a while). How high it takes him, and how long it lasts remains to be seen. In general, at his age it is a lot tougher to have much of a meteoric rise. But given he has always been a "working stiff" I'm rooting for him!