Jumping in one pocket

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH
I'm just about certain the restriction is about the length of the cue.
That would mean I could use my jump/break cue with its phenolic tip, if I leave it fully assembled. Not saying that would be easy to get a jump accomplished though. Just easier than a standard cue.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That would mean I could use my jump/break cue with its phenolic tip, if I leave it fully assembled. Not saying that would be easy to get a jump accomplished though. Just easier than a standard cue.

5. Jumping​

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player’s own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Steve, would have to weigh in on this one. For your question and the intent of the rule, he would be much better than I to get a solid response that can be relied upon.
Whitey

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH

5. Jumping​

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player’s own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Steve, would have to weigh in on this one. For your question and the intent of the rule, he would be much better than I to get a solid response that can be relied upon.
Whitey
Thanks Whitey. Seems like no issues swapping cues for jumping to another standard cue. I doubt anyone would even balk at it, but I tend to overthink things.

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Okay, How about this example?
I sometimes switch playing cues during the game, based on the deflection I want (how much English I want or don't). Both cues are standard. Legal to switch to another regulation playing cue to jump during the game? I don't know why not unless you are required to play with the same cue throughout each game.
I thought about this, its ok to use what every cue or shaft you want during play but as soon as you switch to this cue or that cue to specifically jump--It's not ok, afaik. Only in tournaments where jump cues are not allowed and maybe not in 1pocket.

The logic makes sense to a degree, your going to switch to a standard maple shaft to jump and an LD shaft for english /accuracy shots or some variation but you would never use a LD shaft to help with your jump. I always thought pool would eventually mimic golf to a T--Haa get it.
you have 3 to 4 cues to cover all shots but I think it's too pricey. ATM we have jump cues, break cues, Masse cues, playing cues. It's getting close. I have seen pros switch out shafts before.

For example, you have a long draw shot, grab your 12mm carbon. You want to just hit center ball, grab your 12.9 carbon. You need to jump, grab your 13.2 stiff maple. Does the physics actually benefit you? A video for Spin Junkies maybe. My thoughts are not much but there is a balance point.

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH
I thought about this, its ok to use what every cue or shaft you want during play but as soon as you switch to this cue or that cue to specifically jump--It's not ok, afaik. Only in tournaments where jump cues are not allowed and maybe not in 1pocket.

The logic makes sense to a degree, your going to switch to a standard maple shaft to jump and an LD shaft for english /accuracy shots or some variation but you would never use a LD shaft to help with your jump. I always thought pool would eventually mimic golf to a T--Haa get it.
you have 3 to 4 cues to cover all shots but I think it's too pricey. ATM we have jump cues, break cues, Masse cues, playing cues. It's getting close. I have seen pros switch out shafts before.

For example, you have a long draw shot, grab your 12mm carbon. You want to just hit center ball, grab your 12.9 carbon. You need to jump, grab your 13.2 stiff maple. Does the physics actually benefit you? A video for Spin Junkies maybe. My thoughts are not much but there is a balance point.
Thank you for your input.

I think it feels like it should not be an issue other than a certain house or TD's rule or determination.

My personal example would be not really anything odd. Just a stiffer shaft cue for more accurate long shots (and more than a sliver's worth of jumping), and still a standard cue/shaft/tip). Think Joss vs. Meucci.

Knowing this game, someday the OP rules may add a blurb about not changing regular cues or shafts for other than an equipment failure.

I sometimes avoid a more flexible cue when I don't play much, but might switch during a game if I need extra spin/action. Should not matter the way it is phrased now, as long as the cue or shaft isn't designed or sold as a special-purpose type like the ones you mentioned.

I agree the equipment variations are getting to be a lot like in golf. People adding/removing weight, different style tips, screw-in extensions, using vacuum tubes as extensions or slip-ons, specialty bridges, specialty chalk of course. It seems only limited by one's imagination until a rule tries to compensate.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I started playing/gambling at one ball one pocket in the 60’s. The last time I played it was 3/4 years back with one of the members here. We did not allow jumping with any of your cues.

There will be some one ball one pocket at Buffalos on 5/25 before the big one pocket tournament, and poolactiontv will be streaming it, and yours truly will be helping with commentary.

unoperro

Verified Member
I started playing/gambling at one ball one pocket in the 60’s. The last time I played it was 3/4 years back with one of the members here. We did not allow jumping with any of your cues.

There will be some one ball one pocket at Buffalos on 5/25 before the big one pocket tournament, and poolactiontv will be streaming it, and yours truly will be helping with commentary.
You trying to restart the rules conversation😛

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
As an old snooker player who learned how to kick, it’s ok with me if they did not allow jump cues period. Maybe that’s why one ball one pocket is becoming so popular. No balls to jump.

However, it is one of the best things that ever happened for cuemakers.
I agree with you. Pool has always been a two dimensional game, so adding a jump technique causes it to be three dimensional. Jumping started as a lark, a trick shot. IMO intentionally jumping in pool should not be permitted....... with ANY cue. But of course the Genie is out of the bottle now.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I agree with you. Pool has always been a two dimensional game, so adding a jump technique causes it to be three dimensional. Jumping started as a lark, a trick shot. IMO intentionally jumping in pool should not be permitted....... with ANY cue. But of course the Genie is out of the bottle now.
Years ago we small town‘er’s would attempt to jump by hitting the cue ball and the cloth simultaneously. Frowned upon by the house. By the way, what ever happened to the ubiquitous sign that hung on the wall pool rooms, “No Masse Shots”?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
every time yo uhit the ball even slightly hard the cue ball jumps so it is a dificult to draw a line about intentionaly jumping a ball, not to mention I would like tho think that just about every one here has jumped the edge of a ball with there playing cue. I do think that in one pocket I prefer no jump cues but honestly the abylity of the pros to jump these days is preaty impresive and though I like kicking a lot I also think that not learing to jump if you plan to play any rotation games is like cutting off your foot because you do not like shoe laces

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Years ago we small town‘er’s would attempt to jump by hitting the cue ball and the cloth simultaneously. Frowned upon by the house. By the way, what ever happened to the ubiquitous sign that hung on the wall pool rooms, “No Masse Shots”?
Is that a legal stroke?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I agree with the majority here that jump cues should not be allowed in one pocket, but -- besides catkins' two very legit points about edge-of-ball jumps and inadvertent jumps when shooting hard -- think that jumping with standard cue is a skill that should be allowed; and it won't rescue anyone from poor banks and kicks.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree with the majority here that jump cues should not be allowed in one pocket, but -- besides catkins' two very legit points about edge-of-ball jumps and inadvertent jumps when shooting hard -- think that jumping with standard cue is a skill that should be allowed; and it won't rescue anyone from poor banks and kicks.
And our rules are pretty clear — they are only allowed with your actual playing cue. I would interpret that to dissalow special shafts — meaning you can’t just switch shafts for a jump either — it has to be your playing cue including butt and shaft.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
it has to be your playing cue including butt and shaft.
I don't think it's previously been disallowed to take two playing cues to the table and switching back and forth for particular types of shots, has it? I have seen several people do it without being challenged, and I thought it was permitted.