Jumping in one pocket

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I've not seen many jump shots in real one pocket games. You really should never have to take that chance, just my opinion.

Yea Dave great shot I remember seeing that one!

Also, in rotation games or 8 ball you have to hit a certain ball so jumping makes sense if the kick is too hard, but when you can hit any ball on the table, I cant imagine jumping before I would try a combination to maintain better control of the cue ball.

Last edited:

johnnytronic

Verified Member
In gambling matches you can simply ask before you start if it's ok to utilize a jump cue.
I've used one before but the guy knew I sucked at the time so he also knew that me jumping at things would favor him and it did.
Now I play with 12.2mm LD carbon shaft--it's pretty difficult to fully jump a ball, feels like I will damage the shaft or pop the tip off. 1/4 ball or edge ball jumps are still possible. Players bring Chohan into the mix and he does jump often. He has some slight advantages, he's tall and also plays with a standard maple shaft -Southwest I believe. IME a standard chunky SW maple shaft deflects a lot and jumping is deflection right--My point-The ball gets over easier. For my ability, I would rather have the LD technology over the ability to jump. Actually when Tony was in Chicago he appeared to have a turned down SW shaft but I never played with the cue.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys!
The full ball jump is harder than the 1/2 ball jump for my shoulder is screwed up and not flexible, this also makes it harder to aim. Thus, you'll notice the stroke for me is more of a side arm stroke when using a full-length cue.
But I contacted the cue ball correctly, and I am actually surprised how much height I got on the jump.
Earl would have made it!
Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks guys!
The full ball jump is harder than the 1/2 ball jump for my shoulder is screwed up and not flexible, this also makes it harder to aim. Thus, you'll notice the stroke for me is more of a side arm stroke when using a full-length cue.
But I contacted the cue ball correctly, and I am actually surprised how much height I got on the jump.
Earl would have made it!
Whitey
Whitey, you should get the op.o "demo" award! Nice shooting and thanks.

Reactions: lll

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've not seen many jump shots in real one pocket games. You really should never have to take that chance, just my opinion.

Yea Dave great shot I remember seeing that one!

Also, in rotation games or 8 ball you have to hit a certain ball so jumping makes sense if the kick is too hard, but when you can hit any ball on the table, I cant imagine jumping before I would try a combination to maintain better control of the cue ball.
I have been successful a few times jumping over the edge of an intervening ball, either to play a bank that works "stiff," or some kind of safety that the intervening ball would prevent.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Absolutely it comes up. I have even been known to jump the cue ball after hitting the OB. But that’s a different thread altogether :)

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH
I agree that I rarely have preferred a jump shot over more than a small impedement. But I am not a big jump shot player anyway. Even when stuck hard on the break, I would rather kick/ leave them long/ doubled up, or snugged up on a ball for a cheap foul to hopefully save the game. But if your abilities are there with your playing cue, I will tip my hat to you.

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH
Okay, How about this example?
I sometimes switch playing cues during the game, based on the deflection I want (how much English I want or don't). Both cues are standard. Legal to switch to another regulation playing cue to jump during the game? I don't know why not unless you are required to play with the same cue throughout each game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Okay, How about this example?
I sometimes switch playing cues during the game, based on the deflection I want (how much English I want or don't). Both cues are standard. Legal to switch to another regulation playing cue to jump during the game? I don't know why not unless you are required to play with the same cue throughout each game.
I'm just about certain the restriction is about the length of the cue.