Bluegrass Billiards WWYD 12

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Since that last wwyd was well received, I kept an eye out last night during my weekly match with Eddie McDermott for another. Side note: Eddie and I have been battling since I was 16 years old and first walked into the poolroom. 35 years! He is one of my best friends and we talk one pocket, shots, and action reports on a daily basis. If you ever find yourself in Philly, we can be found duking it out at Bluegrass Billiards on Thursday nights from 7:30 to midnight. He is a lurker here as well. I hope that everyone here is fortunate enough to have an Eddie.

ok back to the action….

It’s your shot. There is no score. Your pocket is to the right (closest to the 9 and 14 which goes but is most definitely, off angle).

Plenty of options here! Wwyd??
71AADCD1-CE04-4953-8351-FD7573602B5B.jpegBB3BBA8C-262D-40ED-9822-628683D071B1.jpegCF9B1272-EA41-4895-80A8-EA6FCC39B193.jpeg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I like crossing the 10 to my side and lay the CB down on the 1/3 if I can. The reason I like this best is because if I can get my opponent on the 1/3, they won't have the 10 ball to come off of or bank towards their hole and leave me long on the 9/14.

If I execute and stick them on the 1/3 my opponent's entire table will be cut off so they can only try to take an intentional or tap the 1/3 and be on the wrong side of the balls.

Thanks for another WWYD Mitch!

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I would bank the 10 across into the 15 medium speed attempting to get a ball near my hole. Keep the CB up high where the 10 is now. He's got a lot of balls in the way from there and no shot at his hole.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would bank the 10 across into the 15 medium speed attempting to get a ball near my hole. Keep the CB up high where the 10 is now. He's got a lot of balls in the way from there and no shot at his hole.
was the first thing I saw but I am worried I may leave a cut on the 11 or a bank on the 14 or another ball. I think if you can get them behind the 1/3 whichever way you can get there is the best shot.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This what I be doing. No better chance to win the game then running out from here. Cutting the 6 in and killing the CB by your opponents long rail is Not for the weak of stroke! It takes a certain technique to accomplish this shot without over powering the stroke. The extreme 7 O'clock English will help some to throw the 6 into the pocket, allowing me over-cut the 6 to not run into the 13, (the CB will curve) a little bit.

PS; This shot takes a very 'low level' cue & low bridge. Also, the tip needs to stay on the CB a little longer than normal, but Not firmly.

Bluegrass Billiards WWYD 12.jpg

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Another strong offensive shot is to play the 5 carom off the 8 and float the CB behind the 1/3. The 8 banks to your side also and you will have a lot of positive movement towards your hole.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Another strong offensive shot is to play the 5 carom off the 8 and float the CB behind the 1/3. The 8 banks to your side also and you will have a lot of positive movement towards your hole.
you might make the 8 for him.... 😱
at the least the 8 is going towards his side
jmho

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
you might make the 8 for him.... 😱
at the least the 8 is going towards his side
jmho
hard to tell on the pic angles but I see it as this being possible:

1649437668466.png

The 8 banks either into the 11/7 or maybe between the 7 and 3 but ICBW. If the 8 is going to disturb the 1/3 then it's no bueno.

Reactions: lll

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't like the 9-14 combo-kazi, and if I cut the 6 I will run into the 11, so I am banking the 10 across and snugging up to the 1-3 - same as Chris. Early trouble for my opponent. Pretty sure my next shot will be better. I'll wait.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
From the pictures I can't stop my cueball for the 7 , that means I am going to hit the 11 and move 4 balls in front of his hole , I then end up with the 2 12 combo, I think I would take the 10 off his side and roll down beside the 1. If I was playing decent I probably make the 6 8 out of 10 times rolling the ball but I can't slither the cueball over there for the 7 ball,1 out of 10. If that.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There have been a number of good options presented here so there is no need of my reiterating them now, I will say what I will not be doing and that is (in no particular order of importance), banking the 10 with a stop shot. this will not likely result in my pocketing a ball but will likely leave the cue ball exposed to the opposite side rail and anything in that general area.
I will not play the open off angle combo. Having such a commanding positional advantage there is no need to take this risk at this time and should the shot be made there is no guarantee of an additional shot

I would not play such an aggressive shot as the 5-8 combination for the same reason. The situation is already well in hand. the game only requires 8 balls for the win and there are a number of caroms taking place. That in my opinion makes for a complicated shot, A double kiss somewhere during the shot could spell disaster. Why risk it when there are so many simple safe moves that can result is far easier answers?

And I would not cut the 6 though that shot can certainly win the game outright. The shot is also missable, even by excellent players.
Any of these shots can be game winners but they can also backfire on the shooter. If I were sitting in the chair given the poor position I am now facing, I would welcome my opponent choosing any of these shots. simple because my chances of winning this game are greatly diminished if I come to the table with the cue ball jammed up under the 1 and 3.

Much of what we are discussing falls on the ability the the shooter and that of the opponent. As 3C likes to mention. This is how "I" would play it. To each there own but I hope I've pointed out a good bit of logic in my analysis of this situation.

Cheers,

Tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'd like to ask a question to all those that advocate, jamming the CB on the 1/3.

How would you go about doing just that?

I explained my choice in full detail on it's execution.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'd like to ask a question to all those that advocate, jamming the CB on the 1/3.

How would you go about doing just that?

I explained my choice in full detail on it's execution.

The shot I chose was to cut the 13 ball into the 15 ball and cb behind the 1/3. Rolling cb, touch of inside english. No stroke required here. Lol