Official Entry Thread for 2022 Member's Tourney @ Q-Masters

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
John, Hopefully MOT will fill up. Still 4 months away.

Of course, with all our talk about B. White, some members may not make the trip. I hope that all our playing members make the

tournament. Everyone is truly going to love Q-Masters. Will be plenty of tables to match up on.

The members that bring their wives and families are going to be amazed at all the historical sights and old (1600's, 1700's) houses.

And if anyone has not been to Monticello, I recommend that trip to everyone. Thomas Jefferson was an amazing man.
I’ve never been to Monticello myself, but it is on my bucket list so to speak.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just a reminder, these are the qualification requirements for all of our MOT tournaments at this time, so if you are intending to play in one, plan ahead and get more involved here in the forums if you are not already. You can always take a look at your own profile to see if you qualify. (copied and pasted from our MOT page under the "About" tab in the main menu). These requirements are our specific guidelines, but in truth the whole idea is for these tournaments to be get togethers for our active members -- meaning the players here that chip in to the conversations that continue to keep us coming back here to learn more, to be entertained, and to be engaged with fellow onepocketeers from around the country and the world.

Tournament Eligibility Requirements​

• Verified Member status
  • Minimum of 6 months as a registered user on the forums
  • Minimum of 20 posts no later than 30 days before the tournament date

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Just a reminder, these are the qualification requirements for all of our MOT tournaments at this time, so if you are intending to play in one, plan ahead and get more involved here in the forums if you are not already. You can always take a look at your own profile to see if you qualify. (copied and pasted from our MOT page under the "About" tab in the main menu). These requirements are our specific guidelines, but in truth the whole idea is for these tournaments to be get togethers for our active members -- meaning the players here that chip in to the conversations that continue to keep us coming back here to learn more, to be entertained, and to be engaged with fellow onepocketeers from around the country and the world.

Tournament Eligibility Requirements​

• Verified Member status
  • Minimum of 6 months as a registered user on the forums
  • Minimum of 20 posts no later than 30 days before the tournament date
Thank you Steve for reiterating these.

I have an idea that may alleviate a lot of the headaches which come up most years. What if we change that last requirement to:

“Minimum of 20 posts at the time the tournament is announced”

This way we know it’s our “Current active membership” and no need to worry about anyone posting filler only to be added to our roster.

Would this be a change that we could consider or vote on or something?

Thanks much!

chicagomike

Verified Member

I have an idea that may alleviate a lot of the headaches which come up most years. What if we change that last requirement to:

This way we know it’s our “Current active membership” and no need to worry about anyone posting filler only to be added to our roster.

Thanks much!
I think Mitch has a legitimate idea here. Regular active members know that these tournaments pop up from time to time and should be already qualified to play if interested. Also I don’t necessarily think that tournaments should be used an incentive to post and contribute or ask questions about a game that you love. When people start posting in order that they can qualify for a tournament I think the content of their posts can become watered down as they are simply trying to hit a number of posts quickly.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Thanks much!
I've already suggested the same thing.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Thanks much!
Yes, and I am not opposed, and as Crab commented, we’ve already been talking about it. But I am not in agreement to changing requirements for the events we already announced, with our current guidelines already in place. That’s all 😀😀 Future events, fine.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Yes, and I am not opposed, and as Crab commented, we’ve already been talking about it. But I am not in agreement to changing requirements for the events we already announced, with our current guidelines already in place. That’s all 😀😀 Future events, fine.
That makes sense 👍

youngstown

Verified Member
I think we need to acknowledge that some of our members participate in the Facebook group even if they don’t in the forums. I don’t know the best remedy for this but just wanted to voice a concern that someone came to me with recently. I probably fit into this category as well lately. I would think we could count participation in each equally, I’m just not sure how difficult it would be to get stats from the Facebook group.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
While I agree with the sentiment of requiring a more sincere effort and participation in forum threads, I think there is a flaw in the suggestion that 20 posts prior to the announcement of a MOT is adequate.

If no other requirement is stipulated, i assume anybody could qualify once as Brian is now doing and be qualified for evermore with no further posting, is that right?

I would favor a requirement more like a certain number of posts every year to keep your MOT eligibility in tact. I would think we are looking for "active" contributing members, no?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think we need to acknowledge that some of our members participate in the Facebook group even if they don’t in the forums. I don’t know the best remedy for this but just wanted to voice a concern that someone came to me with recently. I probably fit into this category as well lately. I would think we could count participation in each equally, I’m just not sure how difficult it would be to get stats from the Facebook group.
Yes we’ve been talking about that also. It’s a good question. Facebook collects all manner of stats, so they must have some.

So far our MOT’s are strictly for our members here. If we are going to count some degree of Facebook participation, that would be a new thing, not for our currently announced MOT’s. But I’m open to it if we can figure out how. I still want people to have to join and post here; for me it’s just a question of how much and whether we want to also take into consideration significant Facebook participation.

youngstown

Verified Member
On the Facebook group, if you click Your Content you can see how many published posts you've created. There's approximately 20x the participation on there. In the admin utilities, I can view the Top Contributors, and download reports based on any date range I want. So all we need to do is choose to step out of the 1990s.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
On the Facebook group, if you click Your Content you can see how many published posts you've created. There's approximately 20x the participation on there. In the admin utilities, I can view the Top Contributors, and download reports based on any date range I want. So all we need to do is choose to step out of the 1990s.
It's not 90's but it is 2000's :LOL:

But keep in mind, Meta owns and controls Facebook, and you never know what they are going to do next to continue to monetize. I have a Steve Booth Photography page there, but they basically have killed "business" pages -- unless you pay to promote, your reach is super limited. Our content here seems to archive very nicely and is google searchable. Facebook archives seem a bit less accessible, to me anyway, but hell I am a product of WAY before even the 90's lol.

I am open to incorporating genuine participation there in combination with here. But I'm not quite ready for a player to only participate on Facebook, yet qualify for our MOT's.

beatle

Verified Member
it seems wrong since we have such a small group of regulars that post often. that you have a facebook page which draws others away from here.
the group hasnt grown and probably gotten smaller since i came around. but plenty of looky loo's that suck up the free advice and return nothing.

i feel there should be participation to view the main forum. and perhaps give a limited view for new people so they can decide to post or not.

i regularly question why i post and not just look on. ive erased many of my past posts, and have and will put less on here and be careful what i say, since you changed it so i cant erase a post i feel isnt good or even edit it.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
As much as I dislike FB/Meta, I don't think it's going away.

I do believe the younger generation uses / will use social media more so than website forums but of course I could be wrong. I am not saying we shouldn't have forums, of course we should and for so many reasons they need to stay! But if we want to reach and attract a younger crowd and keep promoting one pocket to the masses, we definitely should be using social media and things like discord to communicate, educate and promote.

As far as FB participation for MOTs I do think we need to consider it for future events if we want to attract new members. Maybe they have to still register here on the forums and once they hit whatever threshold on FB, they are made "qualified" or some status that lets people know they are an active member.

Beatle, I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure of a better solution. How do you preserve the history and the education or insight or entertainment value of a post if we allow the original poster to delete it whenever they want. Besides when people are in an argument or something, I think most posters are pretty thoughtful in their posts and won't say something hateful they may regret. And if they do, they still have 3 days to edit or delete the post if they want to.

Just my thoughts on all the above, carry on! :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
What happened to the 24hr delete option. I liked that
Delete option is either yes or no so we cant have people able to delete posts but you have 3 days to edit it. So you can change your wording or erase the whole thing if you want.

PS - we should probably move all of the qualifying stuff to a different thread, we are de-railing the tourney thread.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
appears members comments might be falling on deaf ears Larry........ :rolleyes:......good highlighting tho.....

Yes it was. I think the requirements should be very modestly stiffened a bit to say that entries should have offered a shot selection on at least 30% of the WWYD threads in the previous year leading up to the tournament, and not only that, but that it would be a requirement for them to be diagrammed using Screenshot or some similar ap. And to give a little insight into each players character, have them do 500 to 1000 words on The Pledge Of Allegiance and what it means to them. That's about the same as a grad school admission essay...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes it was. I think the requirements should be very modestly stiffened a bit to say that entries should have offered a shot selection on at least 30% of the WWYD threads in the previous year leading up to the tournament, and not only that, but that it would be a requirement for them to be diagrammed using Screenshot or some similar ap. And to give a little insight into each players character, have them do 500 to 1000 words on The Pledge Of Allegiance and what it means to them. That's about the same as a grad school admission essay...
I actually do think its a pretty good idea to have them participate in the wwyds to see their thought process. It helps get to know what kind of player they are in my opinion. Would be a nightmare to try and track it, but like the idea all the same :)