WWYD here?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This is an interesting wwyd to me due to the options.

13 ball.
Offense ....banking to make, I am going into the 3 because I don't think I can get the 13 to the hole and hold the CB for a shot on the 3. The 3 should end up somewhere between the side pocket and the 1st diamond below. If you come off the left side of the 3 you should have a nice bank on the 1.
The downside is two fold imo. First is you could leave a cross bank on the 3 that will most likely lose the game. Second, the upside is limited to a couple balls.
Defense...2 rail the 13 to near the side pocket trying not to tie up your banking lane. Use stun follow to leave no bank on 11 or 3. Opponent response will most likely cross the 13 and put you in upper left, possibly behind the 13. From there it looks like it will turn to a up table game.

12 ball/straight back. Banking this ball straight back, not to make but to leave close, with inside holding the CB behind the 9 or 5 is great shot if you are confident that you can execute. The dangers here are obvious. That said, if you can execute your opponent will be in a very difficult position.

3 ball. Moving the 3 ball to your side around the 2nd diamond and leaving Cb behind the 11. The danger here is coming up short on the 11 and letting your opponent see the 3 ball or of course going too long and selling out the 11.
If executed correctly, the opponent will bank the 13 up his side and put the CB under the 3...balls start going up table.

My shot selection depends on how I am feeling and score in the set.
Good analysis Ben, you are down 2 games to 1, racing to 3!

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Good analysis Ben, you are down 2 games to 1, racing to 3!
The cloth on this table looks relatively new. That said, if the rails are biting, I am rolling the straight back and putting him on a tough spot.
If the rails are not grabbing I am shooting the 13 and coming into the 3.

beatle

Verified Member
the score of the set has no bearing at all on your shot choice when trying to win the current game.
only on the score of the current game do you change shot choice.

Reactions: lll

beatle

Verified Member
banking the 13 you can go up the rail and get position on other balls like the one and six and maybe the five.
tough shots maybe but you are losing the game right now.

or come out straight and just play position on the one and six and realize it may cost you the game if you miss the bank.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Get the thirteen out of there BUT make sure you stick the cueball on the rail.The game is early and with him on the rail it'll be pretty hard not to leave you something.
Really no mystery here, shoot the 13ball and stick, take a seat. Playing off the 3ball is my second option not much of a difference just don't try to get aggressive, particularly the way the balls are positioned.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
When I first was watching this match, I was really surprised at the shot choice.

This was Alex vs Tony (2016 MIH) and it's Alex's shot. Looking at the layout there was no doubt that I am removing the 13 and sticking/pushing forward an inch - taking away Tony's long rail banks. I don't know if Alex was frazzled from a bad shot/scratch he did a few innings before or if he was just feeling confident on this particular bank, but he tried banking the 12 ball, one rail long and missed and sold out.

Here is the shot Tony shot right before Alex's shot to see how he got here.

Also, here is the very uncharacteristic shot that Alex made a few innings before:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When I first was watching this match, I was really surprised at the shot choice.

This was Alex vs Tony (2016 MIH) and it's Alex's shot. Looking at the layout there was no doubt that I am removing the 13 and sticking/pushing forward an inch - taking away Tony's long rail banks. I don't know if Alex was frazzled from a bad shot/scratch he did a few innings before or if he was just feeling confident on this particular bank, but he tried banking the 12 ball, one rail long and missed and sold out.

Here is the shot Tony shot right before Alex's shot to see how he got here.

Also, here is the very uncharacteristic shot that Alex made a few innings before:

The way Alex banked at that straight back, he went all out firmly to make it, so when he missed it, the cue ball was halfway back down the table by Tony's side pocket. I probably would have missed that bank by more than Alexe did, but I was thinking play it softly, trying to leave the cue ball way up table behind those doubled up balls.

Billy was all over that being the wrong shot as soon as he saw Alex looking at it! Good call Billy (y)

beatle

Verified Member
that changes things with alex. then we know the 13 which turns out to be the 12 doesnt bank on this table.
so the straight back or the removal of the 12 are the shots depending on how they lay.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
The way Alex banked at that straight back, he went all out firmly to make it, so when he missed it, the cue ball was halfway back down the table by Tony's side pocket. I probably would have missed that bank by more than Alexe did, but I was thinking play it softly, trying to leave the cue ball way up table behind those doubled up balls.

Billy was all over that being the wrong shot as soon as he saw Alex looking at it! Good call Billy (y)

Way he played it.....was definitely gonna win or lose the game on it.....

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Would anyone bank the 3 with a bunch of left english to spin into the inside (right side) of the 11 so the cueball would continue traveling toward the right upper pocket?