9-7 8-6 spot difference

8andout

Verified Member
Can any of you mathematicians tell me the difference between 97 and 86. Mathematically. No other considerations.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
9 is 1.125x more than 8
7 is 1.166x more than 6
this is just math
in reality i think one ball is harder for a player who needs 6 to get to 7
than the player who can give the spot and get 8 go to nine
jmho

8 divided by 6 =1.333
9 divided by 7 = 1.28
10 divided by 6 = 1.666
i was told the higher over 1.0 is worse for the guy giving the spot
i dont gamble much
so
icbw
p.s.
love your screen name :love:

Last edited:

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I agree with Larry, I think if you are playing somebody and you feel you need a spot to have a chance always take the lowest you can get.

Reactions: lll

BRLongArm

Verified Member
8-6 is a hair better game for the worse player. Just an excuse to keep playing, and the weaker player thinks it is a much better game.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
If I need 8 and you need 8, then the ratio is 1.0
If I need 9 and you need 8, then the ratio is .88888
If I need 8 and you need 7, then the ratio is .875
If I need 10 and you need 8, then the ratio is .80
If I need 9 and you need 7, then the ratio is .7778
If I need 8 and you need 6, then the ratio is .75
If I need 10 and you need 7, then the ratio is .70
If I need 9 and you need 6, then the ratio is .666666
If I need 11 and you need 7, then the ratio is .636363
If I need 10 and you need 6, then the ratio is .6
If I need 9 and you need 5, then the ratio is .5555
If I need 10 and you need 5, then the ratio is .5
If I need 11 and you need 5, then the ratio is .454545

The closer to 1/1, the lesser the spot. strictly math. By reviewing the math, you see there is no argument anymore over which is a better spot. 8-6 is a marginally better spot than 9-7. If you are adjusting, don't be afraid to give him 8-6 from 9-7. The spot change is negligible. Likewise, the 11-7 is a better spot than the 9-6. Make the better player go to 11, but if you have to give it up, don't be shy. It's a negligible change.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
all good for figuring. other variables do come into the equation.
a longer game is better for the better mover as more likely balls will get up table.
a shorter game is better for the breaker. and the weaker player because of the strength of the break.
and a shorter game usually better for the weaker player as he can run his balls in one inning or two innings, as opposed to an equal spot in a longer game where the better player can get out in one inning..

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I agree with Larry, I think if you are playing somebody and you feel you need a spot to have a chance always take the lowest you can get.
Not always true. 11-7 is actually marginally better than 9-6. And 11-6 is a hair better (.545454), than 9-5 (.5555). But your statement is usually true.

beatle

Verified Member
once you get past the weaker players ability to run out it usually favors the better ball pocketer more by lengthening the game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Not always true. 11-7 is actually marginally better than 9-6. And 11-6 is a hair better (.545454), than 9-5 (.5555). But your statement is usually true.
once you get past the weaker players ability to run out it usually favors the better ball pocketer more by lengthening the game.
as a weaker player i would always want to go to a lower number
joe
regardless of the math
would you really advise a weaker player to take 11-7 instead of 9-6 or 11-6 instead of 9-5?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
as a weaker player i would always want to go to a lower number
joe
regardless of the math
would you really advise a weaker player to take 11-7 instead of 9-6 or 11-6 instead of 9-5?
The math says yes and I am percentage guy. Believe me, I would much rather have TRex going to 14-5( .3571428) than 11-4(.3636). They just run so many balls, you have to wear them out. 10s and 11s are nothing for them and I have over 100 hours of play against Tony. It's not theoretical. And let me tell you, I have beaten him many times at the end of the game where I have 0 and he needs 1. He shoots one and it goes back to my side and I get all my balls in one inning after being shut out the whole game. You want long games against him. Not only that, but it makes for longer games, which means he doesn't get a chance to beat you fast, but you can still win fast. Think of it this way: How many times can you win in one inning versus his ability to win in one inning? Good players cannot focus that hard for long periods of time. Only a few of them can.

Last edited:
  • Love

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I disagree in the instance of a big spot. If the weaker player can move all the balls up table and trade banks with his opponent, it favors him greatly. The good player has to run a lot of balls in his inning, and moving it to an up table game will favor the man going to the low number.

beatle

Verified Member
that is true. i did say usually.

still if the weaker player cant run out what he has to go to, it favors the opponent if he can. that is important.
that was the meaning of the sentence you quoted.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The math says yes and I am percentage guy. Believe me, I would much rather have TRex going to 14-5( .3571428) then 11-4(.3636). They just run so many balls, you have to wear them out. 10s and 11s are nothing for them and I have over 100 hours of play against Tony. It's not theoretical. And let me tell you, I have beaten him many times at the end of the game where I have 0 and he needs 1. He shoots one and it goes back to my side and I get all my balls in one inning after being shut out the whole game. You want long games against him. Not only that, but it makes for longer games, which means he doesn't get a chance to beat you fast, but you can still win fast. Think of it this way: How many times can you win in one inning versus his ability to win in one inning? Good players cannot focus that hard for long periods of time. Only a few of them can.
Thanks for your reply and i appreciate your honest reply
but is your answer determined on for YOU going to 4 or 5 is no problem?
or
you want tony to go to more balls?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Anyone who plays my speed wants him to go to bigger number. Tony will make an average of one error per game. A player like me will get 1-3 balls off his error. That still means I have to earn a shot and get 1-3 more. Which means I need innings, because it will take a grind to earn a shot on an elite player. That means I need the game to last. Which means he has to go to a big number. Now grant you, 14-5 is only infinitesimally better than 11-4. But over the course of six hours, he will tire going to the bigger number. And the spot will wear on him. He'll get tired and he'll miss and make mistakes.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
9 is 1.125x more than 8
7 is 1.166x more than 6
this is just math
in reality i think one ball is harder for a player who needs 6 to get to 7
than the player who can give the spot and get 8 go to nine
jmho

8 divided by 6 =1.333
9 divided by 7 = 1.28
10 divided by 6 = 1.666
i was told the higher over 1.0 is worse for the guy giving the spot
i dont gamble much
so
icbw
p.s.
love your screen name :love:
Well done Larry.

baby huey

Verified Member
I disagree with computing weight. Simply put, when you are playing even, your opponent cannot get more than seven balls..........He wins. So, if your playing someone 8/6, he cannot get more than five balls, he wins. Likewise with the other spots. Playing T-Rex, you'd want to go to 11/4 vs 15/5 as it's about what you have to score to win not so much what he needs to score to win. He can't let you score more than three balls vs four balls to win. Would you rather spot someone 8/4 or 2/1? Same % but its harder for him to win going to four.

beatle

Verified Member
same ratio. think about flipping someone coins. if the ratio is the same the chances are the same.

when you add variables then it can matter to a point.

but it is the variables that change the odds of winning between two of the same ratio spots.