who were/are your one pocket heroes?

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
It's Buddy Hall for me for sure. His smooth stroking the balls is absolutely hypnotising. He doesn't shoot pool, he paints with balls and conducts with his cue! The best cue ball whisperer to boot. I fell in love with the game when I first saw his match against Steve Dobrowolski from 1994 Roanoke.

baby huey

Verified Member
I was so impresssed with Cliff Joyner when I played him about a dozen years ago. He wasn't the best ball striker, banker or ball runner. But he had tenacity and never gave up in any game even if he owed ten balls and you were on the hill. He we so long winded both in phisicality and intellectual function that he just wore you out and broke you down. There are many here that have posted Artie as the best they ever saw and maybe so but Cliff in his prime was a force to be reconed with.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Many of you know lfigueroa on this board.

I started playing against Lou when I was 14. I am 42 now. To the extent I ever do anything good playing one pocket (or even pool generally), a lot of credit has to go to Lou's willingness to share some of his knowledge with me. Lou has always threatened to write a book. If he does write a book and I know it is available for purchase, I would enthusiastically be the first to purchase one. After 25 years of friendly competition, I believe Lou is even more knowledgeable than even his biggest fans realize.

Over the years, he has shared with me extremely astute observations of other players' games and other ideas that I think hint at a creative and unique understanding of pool. Were he to share more with all of us, I think we would all be made better or it.

After Lou, I would add Shannon Daulton. When I was a kid, Lou told me to rent (we could rent Accu-Stats VHS tapes at the pool hall we played at) any tape with Shannon Daulton's name on. I did. At that time, (late 90's), I think Shannon Daulton may not have been the best at every aspect of 1 Pocket, but he certainly performed every aspect among the best. I thought he had absolutely no weaknesses in his game, and he was fun to watch. Every year I go to the DCC, I hope I draw Shannon Daulton.

kollegedave

Thank you, David.

I haven't been following this site for a while now and it wasn't until Dustin mentioned that I should check out this thread that I was aware of it. Your words mean a lot to me. If/when I write a book I'll be sure to set one aside for you. Thanks again.

Lou Figueroa

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Nice story about your session with Gentile. He's one of the few guys who most of us could learn something from by watching. He never rushes, is patient, and almost always chooses the right shot. OTOH watching Frost, Chohan, Alex, etc. is entertaining, but unless one has those CB and shot making skills there's not much to learn about the game.
Most people have no idea what an offensive force Chris is when he wants to be. I had him playing the one pocket ghost five inning game. He was destroying 38 on tight equipment. He could really play, but poker was more lucrative so he has kind of fallen off. But he is VERY underrated in one pocket.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Most people have no idea what an offensive force Chris is when he wants to be. I had him playing the one pocket ghost five inning game. He was destroying 38 on tight equipment. He could really play, but poker was more lucrative so he has kind of fallen off. But he is VERY underrated in one pocket.
Not by Anyone around Chi-Town!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Yeah, the locals know. But how many around the country really know his speed? Not many.

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
I was extremely lucky to learn the basics from Shannon D., Scott F., John Brumback and Mary K. (who taught me cue ball control), but Jason Moran has been my mentor/devil for the past 15 years...and yes I have seen him play better than the pros many times...
Funny thing is, when I was on the phone with Buster this morning, he asked how Jason has been and made the comment that he plays a lot better than he gives himself credit for and is one of the nicest guys he has met! I have always enjoyed playing Jason and have learned a lot from him over the last 5-6 years!

For me I always enjoyed watching Shannon D, and Tony C., but what really created my love, passion, and obsession with 1 HOLE was getting to play and learn from Mike Surber. I told our story many times on here and in person, he is definitely the reason I started to play this game. He gave me the tools I felt like I needed to compete with anybody, witch I did as much as I could, so much so that I was able to match up with one of my other heroes Cliff Joiner a lot as I was learning, Yes I was getting a ton of weight(and not hardly winning) but those sessions (even though they were cheap) are something I will never forget. But my real heroes are the guys that match up, compete, and keep me in stroke, if Col. Bille Miller(aka: wgcp) is not willing to take my emotional, verbal, sometimes physical abuse( last session was 12 hours, we both felt that one in the morning), I would not be playing today for sure. Every time we play I'm expecting to lose which actually pushes me to try harder because(to a fault) I aint trying to lose a game much less a match no matter who you are.
Matt tell Buster I said Hello, and yes I may some spurts where I come with it, but they have never been consistent, and complete, and these days those spurts are get further and further apart. Everyone on OP.org is my hero, because I would love nothing more than to match up and compete with all of yall at some point.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

With or without ball in hand after the break?

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
my dad introduced me to pool, but I'm not sure he was 'hip to 1p..
efren was/is another pool hero, and I credit him as much as anybody for inspiring me to give 1p a try
I also feel compelled to shout out the gang at accu-stats
even before I knew anything about the game (which wasn't that long ago)
I'd listen to commentators like billy and danny and be wowed by their knowledge..still am!
Red
my dad introduced me to pool, but I'm not sure he was 'hip to 1p..
efren was/is another pool hero, and I credit him as much as anybody for inspiring me to give 1p a try
I also feel compelled to shout out the gang at accu-stats
even before I knew anything about the game (which wasn't that long ago)
I'd listen to commentators like billy and danny and be wowed by their knowledge..still am!
Red.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I love hearing the links in the chain go directly back to some of our Hall of Fame members, like Jersey Red, Weenie Beeinie (via Mike Surber to 1 HOLE NUT) and Grady!!

For me, living in a state where there was close to no One Pocket played, I learned mostly from Accustats matches, which I devoured -- especially paying attention to Grady, Billy, Freddy and the host of guest commentators that Pat brought in. I didn't get introduced to One Pocket until I was about 40 :oops: Once I started to play I sought out anyone within a drive that I could play and learn from while playing and gradually adding shots and moves to my took kit. I spent a year or two, every weekend driving to MA to play with the old player, Bob Ingersol, who was a peer of Boston Shorty's.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Grady first, I watched his tapes a hundred times each. Then George Dawg, taught me more about the thinking , decision making part of one pocket, than anyone else, and George Rood who taught me 1000s of little shots and moves, and helped me figure out, how to make my opponent play the game, the way I wanted to play it, not the way they wanted to.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If I'm not mistaken both Mike Surber and our man Tom Wirth were products of Weenie Beenie's Jack & Jill Cue Club in the Washington, D.C. area. So there's a line back to Bill Staton. I believe Staton had learned a lot from Squirrel Carpenter and Eddie Taylor; maybe also Cleo Vaughn. Interesting lineage.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I love hearing the links in the chain go directly back to some of our Hall of Fame members, like Jersey Red, Weenie Beeinie (via Mike Surber to 1 HOLE NUT) and Grady!!

For me, living in a state where there was close to no One Pocket played, I learned mostly from Accustats matches, which I devoured -- especially paying attention to Grady, Billy, Freddy and the host of guest commentators that Pat brought in. I didn't get introduced to One Pocket until I was about 40 :oops: Once I started to play I sought out anyone within a drive that I could play and learn from while playing and gradually adding shots and moves to my took kit. I spent a year or two, every weekend driving to MA to play with the old player, Bob Ingersol, who was a peer of Boston Shorty's.
I first saw one pocket played in 1967 at LeCue downtown Houston. I was in college in East Texas and would go to LeCue to watch and listen. Red was a regular and always entertaining. The game in college was 25¢ six ball ring game so what was going on at LeCue was totally foreign to me. Characters out of a Damon Runyon novel. I wish I had learned more of their names but I was a wallflower when it came to interacting. I would end up at Parker’s on Washington Avenue and observe another cast of characters. Thirty years passed and I would run into a few of the LeCue/Parker’s crowd at Cue and Cushion on Shepherd. I’ve run into a couple of the players from Houston back in the day in San Antonio the past 12 years.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

For me, living in a state where there was close to no One Pocket played, I learned mostly from Accustats matches, which I devoured -- especially paying attention to Grady, Billy, Freddy and the host of guest commentators that Pat brought in. I didn't get introduced to One Pocket until I was about 40 :oops: Once I started to play I sought out anyone within a drive that I could play and learn from while playing and gradually adding shots and moves to my took kit. I spent a year or two, every weekend driving to MA to play with the old player, Bob Ingersol, who was a peer of Boston Shorty

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
During the, 60's, 70's Shorty and Ingy were the Best all around (Straight pool, Nine ball, 1 hole and 3C) players in Boston.

You also had Paul Melinchuk and Charlie DeValier, the latter not as good.

Played them All, 3C. In order, Charlie, Paul and Bob at, Olympic (The Mines) Billiards in the, 'Red Light' district. Played Shorty the first time at, McGirrs in 70. He gave me 3 on 25, we broke even.

A few years later, I went back to the, 'Boston' area, Dorchester. There was an All Night bowling/billiards room with two 3C tables. First time I ever saw, 'Candle Pin' bowling.

At McGirrs, other than Abe Rosen, the Best player was, Gene Levy. Tall thin guy in his 60's at the time, He had a guy in a wheelchair that used to stake him. First time I met, Frank (Little Frankie) Filerino. This Guy Gene beat me and Paul Jones out of about $1,800 with side bets. At first i couldn't figure how this "Old F**k" beat me. When we finished, Frankie came and asked where I was from, "I said Chicago." Frankie says, "You know my man, Freddy the Beard?" When I acknowledged, he comfited in me, "You got f**ked on that table." "Play him again tomorrow on another table." I called Freddy that night and asked about Frankie, He said, "Be careful, Frankie was schooled by Pancho and Johnny Ervolino!"

Behind Freddy's/Frankie's info, I went and played on a different table the next day. The whole joint bet on Gene! Paul and I took down about 6-7K. That's when Vinnie Spa called Shorty to come and play.

Last edited: