So how can OnePocket.org do more to support One Pocket?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I’m in no way suggesting we move over to Facebook but it can be used as free advertisement for the site. The more you post there, the more traffic you’ll get here. One Pocket has a demographic and that age group is mostly on Facebook today. If you post snippets of past threads, old WWYDs, or interesting stories I think you’ll entice people to check the site out. Posting regularly is key. You have to constantly remind people of your existence.
All good suggestions and several of us do that now. We just need more participants to post. My idea for Facebook was to post website WWYD's from the past and after 24hrs link the old post here to show what the pros would do sorta thing. It would drive more traffic to both places and there is enough content here to do that for years. We just need a few volunteers to get it rolling.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Advertise the game of one pocket as the game it truly is.... the greatest game that’s ever been played on a pool table...
offer up onepocket.org as “THE” learning base in this advertisement and prove it by having instructors/mentors available for questioning at certain hours of everyday.... Get the GHOST back and have him post WWYD’s on a weekly basis to create interest and stimulate learning the game from all the interesting choices that are offered up by our membership...
If you want to promote the game of one pocket, you must get the attention of people who are already interested in the game of pool... apply the advertising in appropriate venues!
Good to see you posting buddy, hope you are doing well! And I agree, we all miss the Ghost! 👻👻👻

beatle

Verified Member
i didnt know that my past posts could go from here to facebook by linking them.
if i wanted my stuff on facebook i would put it there and no one else should.

i missed that when signing up here years ago i guess.

unoperro

Verified Member

Screenshot_20211130-181527_Chrome.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Both here and on Facebook, or about anywhere else on the internet for that matter, anyone can post a link to content from one website to another website. That doesn't actually "put it there", since it is just a link/shortcut to here (sometimes with a preview graphic, depending on the content). That is kind of the nature of the internet. So if somone shares a link to something here, those that click on the link are directed here to read the content. Here in the main forums, all of our threads are public except those in the Member's Cafe, so anyone on the internet can read here, except the Member Cafe. Only logged in members can post here, and that is not going to change.

beatle

Verified Member
i understand that. but that is different than the website or the members of it taking personal posts and using them on a different venue other than an occasional use for a specific condition. and using what someone wrote to promote another
commercial site.
while may be legal to do it it is not right in my book. and content is property of the site not the public. so this site has a say in where its content goes. if you condone it than thats your choice of course.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Linking open forum content including images, video, content etc is just sharing open source information as long as your not personally profiting by selling it.
That being said, I understand. It was my idea. Maybe not a good idea in the way I was thinking. Maybe somebody else has some ideas that could work for us.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
i understand that. but that is different than the website or the members of it taking personal posts and using them on a different venue other than an occasional use for a specific condition. and using what someone wrote to promote another
commercial site.
while may be legal to do it it is not right in my book. and content is property of the site not the public. so this site has a say in where its content goes. if you condone it than thats your choice of course.
As a photographer, my images get captured and reposted often. I basically in most cases just try to think of it as a compliment. The exception would be any kind of commercial use -- that is something I would go after. But for Facebook profiles, and vanity shares on peoples Facebook pages I just treat it as a compliment. It's kind of funny -- when a facebook user copies one of my photos (or any photographer for that matter) and they post it, Facebook treats it as if it is the user's own, and so do all the user's friends -- with comments like "great photo" and responses from the user that copied the photo saying "thanks" -- all as if somehow it was the user that took the photo of themselves. Pretty funny actually. When the user actually mentions my name as the photographer that is nice and much appreciated. When they link to me it is even nicer. But most people do not understand that when a photographer takes and optimizes a photo of you, it is the photographer that owns the photo, not the subject person in the photo.

Also any content over here that is decent is a potential target for website developers who are trying to attract clicks themselves, but do not have their own original content, so they oftensteal and maybe tweak. You can find quite a few variations on our One Pocket rules for example -- just taken and obviously slightly tweaked. Likewise other lists and glossary, etc. With the work they put in plagiarizing sometimes they could have got half way through their own fresh research and legitimate own content creation lol.

I don't like any of that but it is tough to control on the internet. Even with legal resources (which cost $$), you would be playing whack-a-mole. For me, I try to look at as doing my part in strange ways to promote the game of One Pocket :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
As a photographer, my images get captured and reposted often. I basically in most cases just try to think of it as a compliment. The exception would be any kind of commercial use -- that is something I would go after.
I can sure relate, Steve. There are hundreds of recordings illegally captured from albums I played on over the years, and a few videos. There's nothing I can do about it, so --like you-- I take it as a compliment to the performance. As far as I'm concerned they can have it. As a result I'm not too bothered by listening or sharing other artist's content, films, etc. On another forum I visit, a guy posed the question, "Why do people pirate films?" My answer: I don't pirate any films. I simply watch films that others have pirated...:)

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
7 or 8 years ago I offered to migrate some cassette tracks to digital for a friend who used to sing in a small band. Nightclubs etc, in Seattle doing covers.
I never shared the digital tracks with anyone or put anywhere except, I think, one track that I sent to her in an email. (I got them to her via memory stick).
A year or two later I found that track on Utube.
She didn't know anything about it until I mentioned it to her. The only possible way they could have gotten it was by stealing it from that private email.
According to uTube:
℗ Meritage Music
Publisher Kokomo Music
Provided by The Orchard Enterprises.

Amazon is monetizing it for .99

Bonnie Raitt's album was from Capital Records, Ocean Way Studios. - song: Nick of Time

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I used to manufacture a item I sold on ebay. The people overseas stole some of my designs and started mass producing them flooding my market with cheap junk copies.

beatle

Verified Member
i look at it as i post here for myself and the benefit of the current members. also post some personal things.
i dont post them to be sent by the members here to another site. if a site robs them that is another matter.
i dont condone any members doing it for whatever reason they feel its for.
just like i havent doxed anyone and posted their personal info all over the net. which i look at in the same light.

chicagomike

Verified Member
We can start slow. Get some volunteers from all over the country new people can contact. Maybe give new players who sign up a sticky where they can ask questions and find someone local to help them. If there is enough interest, we can grow. The site can be intimidating for new people and their own sticky would help them get familiar with the site and become more involved over time.
This is a great idea John!

RedCard

Verified Member
I can sure relate, Steve. There are hundreds of recordings illegally captured from albums I played on over the years, and a few videos. There's nothing I can do about it, so --like you-- I take it as a compliment to the performance. As far as I'm concerned they can have it. As a result I'm not too bothered by listening or sharing other artist's content, films, etc. On another forum I visit, a guy posed the question, "Why do people pirate films?" My answer: I don't pirate any films. I simply watch films that others have pirated...:)
A historic library here held a photography competition of sorts every year for a decade or so. Much of the prize money was underwritten by a local architect. I think the understanding was the photos submitted could be used as seen fit by the library, I don't remember that for sure though.

Some of the photos ended up in an archive at one of the local universities. A couple of other photographers, a newspaper guy and one from an ad agency, were talking to me about it, I think trying to get support for further bitching. I told them I just felt flattered by it. I know they were more protective of their copyrights than I was but the library (and the universities to a lesser extent) could both be considered good causes. They awarded the prize money at this time of the year and it always meant around $400 to me, which was appreciated. Those other two guys just had a festering bad attitude to show for their trouble.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
When I was a kid I used to watch professional pool, mostly straight pool, on the wide world of sports on one of the 3 national networks, forgot which one, maybe NBC, on Saturday afternoons. There was advertising commercials for any number of things, many completely unrelated to pool. They had the attention of advertisers buying time because they had a national audience. The best pool we have today is played in bars, usually late hours of the night, and no live airplay except for streaming with maybe a few hundred viewers at best. Now that scenario is vitally important to pool, pool players, and pool room owners, but it's never ever going to grow a large public following to non pool players. Take a look at Snooker in the UK and more importantly the amount of money involved in it. Shit those players live a lifestyle akin to professional golfers in the US. The difference is they get the major tournaments out of the pubs and into Arena, look up the Crucible Snooker on you tube, it's an event, live tv coverage, family attendance, major sponsors of all kinds. Sponsors don't want to promote something that will be seen by 2 dozen people in a bar at 1 o'clock in the morning, so it's hard to get sponsors for local tournaments. Small tournaments weed out the field for the best players but there is nothing for those better players really beyond those tournaments. The US Open, The Derby, etc,,, and like tournaments should never ever be played in bars, they should be presented to the public in a suitable public place like other professional sports. This concept in my opinion should be applied to pool in general, not just 1p, but certainly including 1p. Pool will never again be respected as a professional sport until it is constantly promoted and presented to the public as one.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
i played i 2 seniors one pocket tournaments
did i have a chance in either?......NO
so why did i bother and "waste" the money?
i am glad you asked..... o_O
it was an adventure
i met new acquaintances
i knew several members would be there
i wanted to "test" myself as i get little chance to play onepocket at that time
i could list a few more but i wont bore you
we have local 9/10 ball tournaments
i have no chance to place in the money most of the time
but i get to test myself with some pressure on the line
i dont mind being "dead" money as i do get value for what i pay
its just not "taking off the tournament"
you guys that play well and gamble well see things from a different perspective than i do
so keith/sappo
handicapped or not / fee based on skill or not
i would bet there are alot of people like me
that rather than go to a movie or out to a nice dinner would rather spend their money being dead money in a pool tournament....😱
jmho
icbw
And possibly I will learn something about the game at the same time I’m getting my ass handed to me.

Reactions: lll

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
When I was a kid I used to watch professional pool, mostly straight pool, on the wide world of sports on one of the 3 national networks, forgot which one, maybe NBC, on Saturday afternoons. There was advertising commercials for any number of things, many completely unrelated to pool. They had the attention of advertisers buying time because they had a national audience. The best pool we have today is played in bars, usually late hours of the night, and no live airplay except for streaming with maybe a few hundred viewers at best. Now that scenario is vitally important to pool, pool players, and pool room owners, but it's never ever going to grow a large public following to non pool players. Take a look at Snooker in the UK and more importantly the amount of money involved in it. Shit those players live a lifestyle akin to professional golfers in the US. The difference is they get the major tournaments out of the pubs and into Arena, look up the Crucible Snooker on you tube, it's an event, live tv coverage, family attendance, major sponsors of all kinds. Sponsors don't want to promote something that will be seen by 2 dozen people in a bar at 1 o'clock in the morning, so it's hard to get sponsors for local tournaments. Small tournaments weed out the field for the best players but there is nothing for those better players really beyond those tournaments. The US Open, The Derby, etc,,, and like tournaments should never ever be played in bars, they should be presented to the public in a suitable public place like other professional sports. This concept in my opinion should be applied to pool in general, not just 1p, but certainly including 1p. Pool will never again be respected as a professional sport until it is constantly promoted and presented to the public as one.
Pool is in the best shape its been since the old tv days. Lots of new events this year.