2021 MOT MEMPHIS SIGN UP

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Andy played a hell of a tournament, going undefeated in a tough field! Congratulations to Andy Warren!! He went fairly soft in the calcutta too, even though there were several local bidders who would know him well, so that tells me he shot his best at the right times!!

Congrsrulations to Ben Smith for 2nd place also. I know you set a high standard of play for yourself and in the moment you were a little disappointed in how you played, the rest of us would LOVE to play as bad as you did lol.

The hospitality was amazing, all the way through; I can see why you guys that have been here before were so enthusiastic!

I’d also like to thank “hard luck” Dustin Miller for all the ground work he did leading up to the tournament. Poor Dustin was sitting pretty undefeated when disaster in the form of food poisoning struck and he had to forfeit out.

And again, the grease behind the scenes that keeps things running smoothly, John Crabb took care of running the tournament completely until the last day.

Thank you to all who participated and helped, and congratulations to all the players!! see you next year!!

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Andy played a hell of a tournament, going undefeated in a tough field! Congratulations to Andy Warren!! He went fairly soft in the calcutta too, even though there were several local bidders who would know him well, so that tells me he shot his best at the right times!!

Congrsrulations to Ben Smith for 2nd place also. I know you set a high standard of play for yourself and in the moment you were a little disappointed in how you played, the rest of us would LOVE to play as bad as you did lol.

The hospitality was amazing, all the way through; I can see why you guys that have been here before were so enthusiastic!

I’d also like to thank “hard luck” Dustin Miller for all the ground work he did leading up to the tournament. Poor Dustin was sitting pretty undefeated when disaster in the form of food poisoning struck and he had to forfeit out.

And again, the grease behind the scenes that keeps things running smoothly, John Crabb took care of running the tournament completely until the last day.

Thank you to all who participated and helped, and congratulations to all the players!! see you next year!!
I echo Steve, southern hospitality at its finest, thank you Andy and staff!

Dustin and crabbcat we're the best TDs you could ever ask for, thanks!

Congratulations to all whether in the money or not. It's such a great group to be associated with and everyone plays well. 😘

I fly out early in the morning.

Peace. Out.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Do I get a parachute? How many minutes do I have in the sea? Seems you’re singling me out for torment. Did you and Billie match up? Mitch the Beast?
I matched up with Dave, John, Ben, Chicago Mike, and Fats. Plus a side trip to High Pockets for 9 ball, the Green Room, and back to Buffalo’s. I did go to The Rack in Memphis twice but nothing was happening.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Congrats to Andy!

Also congrats to Ben, Jay and Jason for the top 4 finish and soon to be pics on the MOT page! :)

I realize it wasn't a full field of 32 but I must say I am still impressed that you got to Sunday with only 4 and was able to leave at a reasonable hour and not have it go to wee hours of Monday morning, so kudos to Dustin, John and anyone else involved in planning and running it!

Also, thanks Todd for the stream, I was able to catch parts of a couple matches!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Congrats to Andy!

Also congrats to Ben, Jay and Jason for the top 4 finish and soon to be pics on the MOT page! :)

I realize it wasn't a full field of 32 but I must say I am still impressed that you got to Sunday with only 4 and was able to leave at a reasonable hour and not have it go to wee hours of Monday morning, so kudos to Dustin, John and anyone else involved in planning and running it!

Also, thanks Todd for the stream, I was able to catch parts of a couple matches!
That having been the case, Dustin and John ought to be considered as the official 1p.o TDs for the MOTs..:)
Most of our guys realize how important TDs are to the planning and running of a tournament, but in other events most times their work is almost hidden, and definitely thankless. Good work, lads!

warrenr

Verified Member
I got home Sunday afternoon. Nice to see everyone. got to visit with some people that I never got to talk to before. This tournament seems like the fellowship was more friendly than before. It must need not seeing each other in a long time. Thanks for Dustin and John for a job well done. The hospitality was great and all of Andy staff did a great job. Hope that we can go back with another tournament next year. Glad everyone made it home safe.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That having been the case, Dustin and John ought to be considered as the official 1p.o TDs for the MOTs..:)
Most of our guys realize how important TDs are to the planning and running of a tournament, but in other events most times their work is almost hidden, and definitely thankless. Good work, lads!
They do a great job but it would ideally be nice if we had somebody at the tournament that was capable, but not actually trying to play at the same time. We are very fortunate to have them but I know it’s rough to try to play and run a bracket at the same time. You get a lot of interruptions, which I think are especially not conducive to playing your best One Pocket.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I matched up with Dave, John, Ben, Chicago Mike, and Fats. Plus a side trip to High Pockets for 9 ball, the Green Room, and back to Buffalo’s. I did go to The Rack in Memphis twice but nothing was happening.
As usual, you were a busy man!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I got a little bank pool in with Johnny Willis, Crabb, Bille and I’m forgetting somebody. A little 1b1p with Mitch for cheap enough that he took every flyer available (and maybe some that weren’t even really), and I refused to raise the bet lol, so I came out ahead. I played a lot of One Pocket with local Gary and we broke dead even. We both played the same kind of shots and style so it was kind of uncanny — like playing yourself. Todd and I played a few games about every day. Matt avoided me 😀 oh, and a couple games with Rowsy and I believe I am fortunate it wasn’t more lol. He has $100 minimum so you need to be prepared to play a little smart and careful, because he does!

Everybody was friendly and great to see — staff, locals & our members (of course)!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I even sent my write up to Cincy already , but pics will need to wait until I get home.

this is the story though, in case anyone sees a mistake or omission:

Southaven Rec 2021 MOT

We had a highly competitive field of 24 players at the classic poolroom Southaven Recreation, just south of Memphis Tennessee in Southaven Mississippi. After missing our 2020 MOT due to Covid closure, players were ready to go, and those who had been before were especially eager to return to the great southern hospitality found at the “Rec”. Since our last regional tournament at the Rec, popular owner Bill Rowsy had retired and sold the room to new owners Andy and Nicky Warren. The Rec also generously added all $600 of the green fees to the tournament fund.

There was also $3520 calcutta money raised in the auction handled by John Crabb, pushing the calcutta up over the $3000 tournament money. That’s always a good sign that you have an action oriented crowd!

It turned out, new room owner Andy Warren played pretty sporty himself, as he came through the tournament undefeated, including two wins over calcutta favorite Ben Smith, who took second place. “Arizona Jay” Pettlon — who is actually from St. Louis — ground out a third place finish in his first MOT, after losing his first round match.

So king of the hill Andy Warren is the new proud owner of the unique new traveling MOT “King Cobra” desert mesquite snake stick trophy hand crafted and painted by our fellow member sappo.

1st Andy Warren
2nd Ben Smith
3rd Jay Pettlon
4th Jason Moran
5/6th Dave Gross
5/6th John Rawski
7/8th Dan Moran
7/8th Mark Mariani

Special shout out to “Hard Luck” Dustin Miller who was undefeated in his strongest MOT performance ever, when he was forced to forfeit after food poisoning courtesy of Applebee’s.

Thank you (and congratulations) to our hosts Andy and Nicky Warren, and special thanks to Dustin Miller and John Crabb for as usual handling all the TD and administrative details both before and during the tournament, and thank you Todd Williams for streaming matches.

3AB552D2-65A1-49A0-B67B-F181B04A5783.jpeg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
They do a great job but it would ideally be nice if we had somebody at the tournament that was capable, but not actually trying to play at the same time. We are very fortunate to have them but I know it’s rough to try to play and run a bracket at the same time. You get a lot of interruptions, which I think are especially not conducive to playing your best One Pocket.
Good point. It never worked for me when I was TD. The only 2 guys I've seen both TD and play well were Tommy Kennedy and Grady Mathews.