One Ball One Pocket

BRLongArm

Verified Member
BTW, Weenie Beenie talked about playing game, way back in the old days. He said they started with the OB a few inches out of the opponent's pocket, which pretty much necessitated a defensive shot. Bottom line is -- a defensive shot to start with no matter what.
I think this is a solution looking for a problem. To stop four railers, you just say if you make your ball on the opening shot, it is a foul. Stops all the nonsense.

Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
or you put the CB froze on the head rail middle diamond to start and let them shoot offense or defense, they are not making the 4 railer from there, and if they do they deserve the win :)

BRLongArm

Verified Member
or you put the CB froze on the head rail middle diamond to start and let them shoot offense or defense, they are not making the 4 railer from there, and if they do they deserve the win :)
I would not mind the pros starting from there, but it's a tough spot for us regular players. Lots of sell outs with both balls frozen.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would not mind the pros starting from there, but it's a tough spot for us regular players. Lots of sell outs with both balls frozen.
good point.

I was just thinking if there might be an easy solution to a defensive shot. In your solution, I can still cut the ball over near my pocket and just not make it so therefore it's no foul. I realize this would be frowned upon but maybe there is a solution that fixes it all together, or not, and just as darmoose said hope to have honor amongst thieves, hehe.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
good point.

I was just thinking if there might be an easy solution to a defensive shot. In your solution, I can still cut the ball over near my pocket and just not make it so therefore it's no foul. I realize this would be frowned upon but maybe there is a solution that fixes it all together, or not, and just as darmoose said hope to have honor amongst thieves, hehe.
Cincy, Would the changing of these few words help keep a player from shooting towards their pocket? Whitey
1. The break: Start with just one ball frozen to the center of the foot cushion. The breaker chooses their pocket and ‘breaks’ from behind the head string. Standard legal shot rules and foul penalties apply on the break. The player to shoot first cannot shoot at their towards their own pocket; they must play a safety.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy, Would the changing of these few words help keep a player from shooting towards their pocket? Whitey
1. The break: Start with just one ball frozen to the center of the foot cushion. The breaker chooses their pocket and ‘breaks’ from behind the head string. Standard legal shot rules and foul penalties apply on the break. The player to shoot first cannot shoot at their towards their own pocket; they must play a safety.
No, either way reads the same and I did not think about that when I posted. I was going by what Joe had proposed, "If you make a ball in your hole off the break it's a foul"...which by the way I think should also be true if it ever comes into play.

The break rule is self explanatory and it probably doesn't come up much if at all on shooting at their pocket.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Again, our organization is not charged with inventing the game or the rules...Only standardizing them. Don't fix what isn't broken is my mantra. The fewer rules, the better.

Set up: 1. Ball set up on the footrail in the middle. Cue ball in the kitchen, ball in hand.
The break: 2. Alternate break, cannot shoot towards your hole on the first shot. Banking the ball to your side of the table indicates that is your pocket. Novel breaks require you to call your pocket before breaking.
After the break: 3. Thereafter, regular one pocket rules apply.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy Kid,
I agree either using 'at your pocket' or 'towards your pocket', is almost one and the same. I rather wish I had not even mentioned it!

Carry on Gentlemen, I enjoy your ideas and your good discussions!
Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy Kid,
I agree either using 'at your pocket' or 'towards your pocket', is almost one and the same. I rather wish I had not even mentioned it!

Carry on Gentlemen, I enjoy your ideas and your good discussions!
Whitey
no problem Whitey, sorry if my response came off the wrong way. I only meant that I should not have said I could cut the ball at my hole and not make it because clearly rule #1 covers it, you can't do it, that's my mistake!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If you are going to penalize the breaker for making the break in their own hole by trying to tease it close, a foul is not enough. Loss of game would appropriate 😆

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I believe this to be true from what I am learning:
If the cb is froze to the head rail then you can attempt to pocket the ob.
But,
If the cb is played from anywhere in the kitchen then you can not shoot at your hole.

When I first joined OP.org I seen the thread on Cole and Keith Thompson. They were in a bar and there was no action, so Cole set up the cb frozen to the head rail center diamond w/ ob frozen to foot rail center diamond, and told Keith to get off his stool and cut it in the hole. He made it first try.
Well there was no action anyway!
Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think this is a solution looking for a problem. To stop four railers, you just say if you make your ball on the opening shot, it is a foul. Stops all the nonsense.
You are missing the point.....most players would shoot the 4 railer at their hole knowing that they probably won't make it, but could very well hang it or get it close. A one ball foul for making the 4 railer is not going to stop that shot.

I already gave the solution if we must have a rule to stop players from taking an offensive shot. "Breaker must direct the OB to the opponents side of the table........under penalty of loss of game."

There are NO offensive shots available under that rule.... :rolleyes:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You are missing the point.....most players would shoot the 4 railer at their hole knowing that they probably won't make it, but could very well hang it or get it close. A one ball foul for making the 4 railer is not going to stop that shot.

I already gave the solution if we must have a rule to stop players from taking an offensive shot. "Breaker must direct the OB to the opponents side of the table........under penalty of loss of game."

There are NO offensive shots available under that rule.... :rolleyes:
Why would you put the ball on their side?:unsure::unsure:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Why would you put the ball on their side?:unsure::unsure:
Larry...............because that is the rule. Everyone is trying to come up with a rule that would stop an offensive shot on the break. I personally don't think a rule is necessary, but if we must have a rule..........that is the rule that would stop an offensive shot on the break, don't you see?

If you disagree please tell me what OFFENSIVE shot you would play following that rule? :rolleyes:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The rule states; you can not shoot at your hole, must play a safe.
So, a 4 rail is going to end up going at your hole, and if you slice it thin you going at your hole.
Guys, that how I interpret the rule.
I am sure this gets discussed prior to the match starting.
Does it need to be more specific, I don't know, that is what we are mainly discussing.
Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
The rule states; you can not shoot at your hole, must play a safe.
So, a 4 rail is going to end up going at your hole, and if you slice it thin you going at your hole.
Guys, that how I interpret the rule.
I am sure this gets discussed prior to the match starting.
Does it need to be more specific, I don't know, that is what we are mainly discussing.
Whitey
Good enough for me...................this is what you run into trying to write a rule for every little thing. Like I have said, I have seen this played many times and never saw the break become a problem.... :)