Question?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What’s you fellas thoughts on Losers side flip for last break?
Why would you do that?? Alternate break is standard, along with either flipping (shudder) or lagging for who gets the first break. That’s what everyone knows and expects and it is totally fair. What on earth would be the advantage of flipping prior to the last break?? Somebody could easily get back to back breaks — or get the shaft and watch their opponent get an extra break. Am I missing something?

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
I've had people ask to flip for break after playing for a while and calling last game. Because it ended up with the winner of the flip breaking last. I've always declined, either way. I get the logic of it, but shit happens. I'd rather just go with it. Once had a guy tell me I couldn't quit (down a game) because it was his break, and I had gotten to break first. :LOL:
Maybe LAG FOR BREAK, that takes chance out of it, and the winner earned the advantage of breaking.

youngstown

Verified Member
I don’t like it. It’s confusing and it cost me a tourney believe it or not. Long story but it’s just unnecessary. No reason for it if you’re already flipping for first break.

youngstown

Verified Member
Kid I was playing thought he won the first set and grabbed a coin to flip for first break of second set. I thought we were flipping for the hill game of the first set…

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
logically and fairly it makes the most sense in a race to 3 or 5 or any odd number to flip or lag for break in the case game rather than in the beginning of the set........

If the match never gets to the hill/hill it doesn't matter.......

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
in tennis, by having to win by two points, both players are assured of getting an even number of serves which equate to the breaks in OP

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
when you lag or flip you have already determined who gets the last break as the order is fixed.

otherwise it is like saying the person down going into the last game automatically gets spotted a ball.
actually, it makes no difference whether you flip/lag before the first game or the last game.....and when going into the last game..nobody can be down...they will be even.... :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Exactly the point to my question!
short race to 1 now.
So are you suggesting skip the first game flip? Who breaks first game? Or flip for the first and re-flip for the last? By "last" I see what you mean is, if the match goes hill-hill, then you flip again -- because otherwise you would not necessarily know if it was the last game lol. But why???