What's the best shot?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We've had a little lull on the site lately, so here's a shot for thought. Just after the break. Your pocket is on the same side as the CB. What is your opinion about the best defensive and best offensive shots here? What would YOU shoot?

1619882735150.png

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Me, too. Try to make the 7 ball - you have to hit it pretty good to avoid a foul anyway. Give it a chance. For defense I would roll Jojo up to the top of his long rail. Tough spot here.

evergruven

Verified Member
that's a thoughtful one..I like whitey's idea, but I'm not sure how confident I personally would execute
what I could do is follow the 14 with the cb into the short rail, maybe knock into the one, and get those balls out of there
leave the cb on the short rail, hidden behind the 10..take away bank/combo bank

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would just shoot the 14 straight ahead and follow with the cueball down to the end rail the 14 will either clear out the 11 or clip the edge of the one, and send it into or near the stack. If my ball would follow lines I would do that, but it hates me and does not follow instructions .

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I kinda like a slight cut on the 14 freezing the QB to the side of the 6. The 14 two rails into the bottom of the 1 taking it out, the 14 goes into the 10 making it in my hole and I keep shooting.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
For offense I don't think the carom on the seven ball is good. It looks to me like you have to hit the seven full coming off the 14 ball, for that reason I would play a straight cut on the seven ball then the cue would rub the 14 ball and go forward for more balls. For just defense I would follow the 14 ball straight ahead being careful not to give up a bank on the 10 ball

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I kinda like a slight cut on the 14 freezing the QB to the side of the 6. The 14 two rails into the bottom of the 1 taking it out, the 14 goes into the 10 making it in my hole and I keep shooting.
Looks impossible to stick to the 6 and get under the one ball to me. Do you guys think it works or doesn't ? I could be wrong as two left feet , just want to see what the rest of you think.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I am cutting the three ball at the 15 and rolling the cue ball forward off the 14 to land by the 10 on the short rail

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Offensively I’m shooting at the carom. Defensively I’m taking an intentional to the upper corner. Defense is the best choice here I believe

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Looks impossible to stick to the 6 and get under the one ball to me. Do you guys think it works or doesn't ? I could be wrong as two left feet , just want to see what the rest of you think.
Your probably right, however moving the 14 and sending the QB to the bottom rail is just going to get you in more trouble.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, y'all had some pretty good suggestions in a layout with not a lot of opportunities. Like a few of you suggested, I'd probably shoot straight ahead with the 14 taking out the 1, and leaving whitey on the foot rail. There might be a free straight-back with the stripe by the side pocket, but all in all a pretty good leave.

The carom was on, and Scott Frost didn't hesitate to shoot it. He was playing Sylver Ochoa. There's a system shooting these carom shots, but I've forgotten it. This one looks like a half ball hit on the 14. It's good for Scott that he made it though, because he sold out the 1ball if missed:
1619969039735.png

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well, y'all had some pretty good suggestions in a layout with not a lot of opportunities. Like a few of you suggested, I'd probably shoot straight ahead with the 14 taking out the 1, and leaving whitey on the foot rail. There might be a free straight-back with the stripe by the side pocket, but all in all a pretty good leave.

The carom was on, and Scott Frost didn't hesitate to shoot it. He was playing Sylver Ochoa. There's a system shooting these carom shots, but I've forgotten it. This one looks like a half ball hit on the 14. It's good for Scott that he made it though, because he sold out the 1ball if missed:
View attachment 435032
does the 14 go by the 7 or does he have to shoot the 10? or the 9?

thx for the wwys er wwyd :)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I watched Scott make many of these carom shots ,I would rate him as one of the best in the world at them, I have also seen a lot of other players try them, usually not successfully.