COREY DEUEL V JUSTIN HALL ACTION

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
btw...thank you Ray and Terry and poolactiontv for the steady supply of replays these past covid months. And for continuing to produce excellent new matches. Putting the replays up creates solid value for your subscribers and makes the entry fee a no brainer for everyone who loves top speed one pocket. Good one pocket action with JJ's great commentary has kept my pool mind active during these hard times for the pool world where I live. All props!

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
The new "clause" in the race format sounds like a strategic angle by Corey all the way. Hats off to him. Just like the break shot, got 'em😂😂😂💀

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
btw...thank you Ray and Terry and poolactiontv for the steady supply of replays these past covid months. And for continuing to produce excellent new matches. Putting the replays up creates solid value for your subscribers and makes the entry fee a no brainer for everyone who loves top speed one pocket. Good one pocket action with JJ's great commentary has kept my pool mind active during these hard times for the pool world where I live. All props!
Well said tobermory 👍

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Special table...lol
Heh, heh. Well it looks like the 4-1/2" pockets was misinformation. I used to play at Livingston's several days each year when I'd go to Bradenton to visit my mother. As I recall, the tables were mostly Brunswicks with fairly large pockets. So guess even having a Diamond with 4-1/2" pockets made it a "special" table....:sneaky:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
You write very well. I hope you come through these difficult times in great shape. I hope to meet you again and would love to play you some 1P.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
those pockets are smaller than standard regulation. and why do people have to play on sub sized pockets.
for championship games at basketball they dont raise the back board or make the basket smaller.
a big golf match doesnt come with a smaller hole.

The three point line is further away in the men's pro game than women's or college basketball. The pros play from the furthest tips in the PGA, unlike the club players. In football, the field goal posts are narrower than the college or high school posts. In MMA, the pros' gloves are 4 oz. and the amateurs fights with 7 oz. gloves. The APA plays on 7 foot tables rather than 9 foot tables.

In short, if you let the top professionals play on 4.5 inch pockets in one pocket, they make a mockery of the game. Smaller pockets make for a better game at the pro level. As John Schmidt told me once, "I want the biggest pockets I can get when I am giving weight. With big pockets, I'll never really miss and I can get out in one inning."

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
People have different opinions about the comparative advantages created by easier vs. tougher tables. I've heard knowledgeable players opine that the tougher table favors the better shooter because they are more likely to make the shots they shoot than the lesser shooter, but I've always believed that the tougher table favored the better mover. Maybe the correct analysis is that the tighter table favors the better player. That said, if this table is 4 1/2+ rather than 4 1/4, which of these players gains an advantage?

Take it to the extreme. Play one pocket on a snooker table. The straightest shooter will always win because straight shooting is a premium on tight equipment. The mover has very little advantage because every time he traps his opponent, the opponent need only go off a ball and leave the mover long, daring him to shoot. Because of the difficulty in pocketing balls, the mover can never capitalize on his moving advantage. Tighter equipment will lengthen the game, and make runs tougher. But in the end, the straighter shooter will win more than the mover.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
sorry you cant just disagree without making a personal attack jim. but to be fair, to even things up then maybe it is because you need to feel superior to someone because you fly all around the country and play one pocket, and lose in almost every pool room you go to and are known as a sucker around. however, with your good job though your money will hold out.
i can be harsh as well.
It wasn’t meant as a personal attack, just a pointed criticism.
I do have a good job and enjoy losing my money all over the country. I try to have fun and learn something while losing. It can be frustrating at times. I still wouldn’t mind playing you sometime and we could just play for fun😀

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Harder to trap a guy with big pockets when he has equal banking ability.. I still need to figure that one out. You really get punished when playing around the stack on cross corner banks with 5" pockets.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Learning to play one pocket on a 5x10 wit h4 inch pockets taught me some very bad habits when it came to switching to a 9 footer. Mostly I thought leaving some one froze on the back rail was guaranteed safe. I learned fairly quick this was not always the case

MrBouncy

I didn't see an answer. Are they still finishing today like the flyer says?
Seems unlikely, at the very start of the event they mentioned that the format would be shifted to a best of 15 each day, but on the third day if they were close it may stretch on to close out with the original timeline.
During yesterday's play Ray said there had been talk of letting somebody go to 9 instead of 8 for the day, but after Justin hit 8 Corey declined to continue.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I didn't see an answer. Are they still finishing today like the flyer says?
One of the posts on Facebook mentioned that once a player gets to 8 for the day they will stop. If that's the case they're playing Saturday.

I'll try to find the post...I think it was from Terry.

Found it:
Screenshot_20210115-134459.png

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
Take it to the extreme. Play one pocket on a snooker table. The straightest shooter will always win because straight shooting is a premium on tight equipment. The mover has very little advantage because every time he traps his opponent, the opponent need only go off a ball and leave the mover long, daring him to shoot. Because of the difficulty in pocketing balls, the mover can never capitalize on his moving advantage. Tighter equipment will lengthen the game, and make runs tougher. But in the end, the straighter shooter will win more than the mover.

This isn't necessarily true. I have played quite a bit of one pocket on a snooker table and I am not an especially straight shooter and felt I had an advantage with my moving and banking skills over straighter shooters that didn't have the same skills in other areas of the game. A tight table will definitely slow down the straighter shooter it is pure logic. A crooked shooter will miss regardless of pocket width.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's a pic of my 4.5'' on a GC I with totally rebuilt underwood on all top rails. Brand new cushions (6) and 860HR.
David Isaccs, Diamond Rep table man outta Ft. Collins CO. Does great work....he's not a pool player turned mechanic, he's a table mechanic period, travels in his Benz High top Van vehicle with his wife. Nice rig. The pics I see of the table being played on are bigger than my, pro cut pockets.

Attachments

• 1027201543.jpg
    1027201543.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 10

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This isn't necessarily true. I have played quite a bit of one pocket on a snooker table and I am not an especially straight shooter and felt I had an advantage with my moving and banking skills over straighter shooters that didn't have the same skills in other areas of the game. A tight table will definitely slow down the straighter shooter it is pure logic. A crooked shooter will miss regardless of pocket width.

If a tight table will slow down the straighter shooter, what will it do to a guy who doesn't shoot straight? Answer: He will never get comfortable on the table, his traps will give him a chance at one ball, and he can never capitalize on his moving prowess because he can't run balls on the equipment.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Here's a pic of my 4.5'' on a GC I with totally rebuilt underwood on all top rails. Brand new cushions (6) and 860HR.
David Isaccs, Diamond Rep table man outta Ft. Collins CO. Does great work....he's not a pool player turned mechanic, he's a table mechanic period, travels in his Benz High top Van vehicle with his wife. Nice rig. The pics I see of the table being played on are bigger than my, pro cut pockets.
That pick looks just under 4.5 which should play great for all games. The pocket angle looks good, Well done. Too bad I don’t live close.