Memories of Leon Yonders

sam and leon

Hi, my uncle was Leon Yonders, and unfortunately he died many years ago and I never got to speak to him alot. If anyone has any memories about him, I would certainly appreciate it if you would share them with me. I have a scrap book that I put together and all info is great.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I moved this post from "Links and Reviews" because it doesn't really fit there, and it could use more views. Any of our members remember Leon Yonders?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I saw the initial post but since I had not heard of Leon and a quick search brought up nothing I could find, I stayed quiet. :)

Hope you get info here, welcome to the site!

EDIT - dont know how I missed this but saw this post on AZB from 2009. Apparently he was the "behind your back king" running 180 balls that way!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting reading, Chris. And I'm sure that Sam will enjoy it.

I hadn't heard of Yonders, and he wasn't mentioned in Freddy's "Gospool". Of course Yonders would have been before Freddy's time.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I saw the initial post but since I had not heard of Leon and a quick search brought up nothing I could find, I stayed quiet. :)

Hope you get info here, welcome to the site!

EDIT - dont know how I missed this but saw this post on AZB from 2009. Apparently he was the "behind your back king" running 180 balls that way!
I remember a stocky man, at JOB's TN that bet it up 9 ball shooting behind his back, and he always got weight, not a bad scam if it works. His hair was a light color, he seemed to like the limelight, this man. He gambled on the front 9 footer in this bar table room.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I found a post from 2009 from someone who said Hal Houle told them the guy was an awesome player from out of Cochrans, another was the Ripleys Believe it or not post in one of Bob Byrnes books about the 180 ball run.
That reference said he was from Boston.
It's hard to imagine {although not impossible} that no one else ever heard of him, saw him, or has any idea who he is, aside from these 2 references. I have never come across the name in any tournament lists or stories of great players.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Unfortunately, we recently lost Don Lim who actually saw Leon play in SF. Here are some images stolen from AZB. The first is from one of Robert Byrne's books and the other three are from Edward Knuchell's book.

Yonders1.png
Yonders2.jpegYonders3.jpg
Yonders4.jpg

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Yonders used to be one of the Masked Marvels, or so I'm told.

A search of Charlie Ursitti's records of 14.1 tournaments comes up blank.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Yeah , If I tossed the balls out , not him or a partner, he would have gotten to show me also. not saying he didn't do it , I' just think he would have been more famous if he was that strong.
Like at least Gene The Almighty Glove level.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
He was a legend in Baltimore, He was known as the Masked Marvel. He did many exhibitions in the 1950's.

A Fan!!!

Hi, my uncle was Leon Yonders, and unfortunately he died many years ago and I never got to speak to him alot. If anyone has any memories about him, I would certainly appreciate it if you would share them with me. I have a scrap book that I put together and all info is great.
YES, Between 1960-1963 i hung out in the pool halls/bowling alleys watching the better players shoot pool... The Tower Bowl in San Diego downtown broadway a lot of sharks hung out there... I was in high school learning the strategy... 1 morning there was a sign ????? Yonders (one of the masked marvels) will give an exhibition.. i thought his name was Billie... He did a lot of trick shots.... But what i remember the last thing he said "I am now going to break and run the rack without the cue ball ever touchimg a rail!" He broke and was doing ok then he missed a shot and hit the rail... People werent very impressed. Then he said, "Come back to afternoon show and if I dont do it I WILL GIVE EVERYONE A $20 BILL that has one of these tickets!!! In the afternoon show noone got a twenty!!! M
I tried that but never succeeded. I learned how to shoot one-handed also with my hand behind my back to give people a chance... Oh there are a lot of people that shoot one handed but i did it without using a rail!!! Only 3 things touched the cue stick: chalk/ my hand/ cue ball!!! My "english"? I could get my shape!!! I used to practice sucking back the cue ball for hours behind back no english or masse... Got discouraged with bar tables. And the games changed... Money balls got spotted until it went down in order/no ball in hand/ I Gave up the stick about 1995....
I never shot my best game always played a notch above... Never did tournaments couldnt get the killer instinct...
WATCHING YOUR UNCLE TAUGHT ME HOW TO PERFECT MY PERSONA!!! THATS WHY I REMEMBER HIM!!! I REMEMBER HE HAD POSTERS OF THE MASKED MARVELS.... THINK THEY WERE SPONSERED BY COKE OR PEPSI....

A Fan!!!

YES, Between 1960-1963 i hung out in the pool halls/bowling alleys watching the better players shoot pool... The Tower Bowl in San Diego downtown broadway a lot of sharks hung out there... I was in high school learning the strategy... 1 morning there was a sign ????? Yonders (one of the masked marvels) will give an exhibition.. i thought his name was Billie... He did a lot of trick shots.... But what i remember the last thing he said "I am now going to break and run the rack without the cue ball ever touchimg a rail!" He broke and was doing ok then he missed a shot and hit the rail... People werent very impressed. Then he said, "Come back to afternoon show and if I dont do it I WILL GIVE EVERYONE A $20 BILL that has one of these tickets!!! In the afternoon show noone got a twenty!!! M
I tried that but never succeeded. I learned how to shoot one-handed also with my hand behind my back to give people a chance... Oh there are a lot of people that shoot one handed but i did it without using a rail!!! Only 3 things touched the cue stick: chalk/ my hand/ cue ball!!! My "english"? I could get my shape!!! I used to practice sucking back the cue ball for hours behind back no english or masse... Got discouraged with bar tables. And the games changed... Money balls got spotted until it went down in order/no ball in hand/ I Gave up the stick about 1995....
I never shot my best game always played a notch above... Never did tournaments couldnt get the killer instinct...
WATCHING YOUR UNCLE TAUGHT ME HOW TO PERFECT MY PERSONA!!! THATS WHY I REMEMBER HIM!!! I REMEMBER HE HAD POSTERS OF THE MASKED MARVELS.... THINK THEY WERE SPONSERED BY COKE OR PEPSI....
He might have gone by Leo

sam and leon

Hi this is Sam again. My father, who was Leon's brother, once told me that Leon once challenged Willie Masconi to a game of pool shooting with broom sticks.. Anyone every hear that story? My understanding was that Willie declined...