Alex pagalyuan bank shot

Shorty Bankz

What is best technique for hitting this 2 railer to the bottom left hand corner ???? Thanks CB2CE0DD-B0F0-4758-A0CB-71E20D09753E.png

Last edited:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Well what are you putting on the cue ball ??? thanks
Normally, I am putting straight high or straight high with perhaps a half tip of inside spin (about 1030 on the cue ball) on the cue ball. In your diagram it appears that I would be striking less than 50 percent of the object ball (probably 25%) with enough speed to two rail the object ball to the down table corner. As you practice shots like this two rail bank, you will discover that hitting 25% of the object ball with speed causes the cue ball to take an angular swing up table. Usually when a player shoots this shot he is attempting to make the shot while at the same instance keeping the cue ball as far away from the object ball should he miss the shot.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
How do you think the shot should be hit?
Shoot it many times and the cue ball will speak. Similar to the thought process of when your lined up straight in on a shot that you THINK you can bank BUT. Over 90% of the time it's a double kiss. One develops the ''feel'' through trial and error. I loved watching the Masters this weekend when they talked about the winner/Dustin. He plays by feel. His caddy/brother would suggest to em the correct shot, but his feel/memory/muscle memory gave em the true answer to the shot at hand. It's like Grady said yrs ago. Ya gotta hit at least 2 million balls to get a ''feel'' for play. It's not something we are all wired with in life. I'm truly a feel player when it comes down to it. I can look and the ball coming off the obj. ball and know over 90% of the time where it's gonna hit the rail or when it's gonna hit a ball in flow with the cue ball direction coming off the shot.

Reactions: lll

Shorty Bankz

Normally, I am putting straight high or straight high with perhaps a half tip of inside spin (about 1030 on the cue ball) on the cue ball. In your diagram it appears that I would be striking less than 50 percent of the object ball (probably 25%) with enough speed to two rail the object ball to the down table corner. As you practice shots like this two rail bank, you will discover that hitting 25% of the object ball with speed causes the cue ball to take an angular swing up table. Usually when a player shoots this shot he is attempting to make the shot while at the same instance keeping the cue ball as far away from the object ball should he miss the shot.
Great reply ... thanks

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Try to hold your cue ball with spin like you would if you were taking a ball off the rail. The cue should move forward for a second, giving the shot enough time to not double kiss.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
when I was younger I just picture these as a one railer from the ball position and use spin either throw or counter act the english

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I would hit it just above pocket speed on the natural bank angle w/ 2 full tips below center and 1 full tip of natural english which is rhe. Do not concern yourself about the ob over spinning and widening out the approach angle to the pocket, it will not, for the little bit of natural english will let it role natural. Use your knowledge of the diamond system or develop your own, for that bank.
It is a natural bank angle which means; that anywhere the ob lies upon that rail the bank angle will be parallel to your known bank angle.
There is no kiss imo if it is banked on the correct angle.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GGUFhNJ8bVMEzj1D6
Whitey
I played with it some more, and when I I move the cb 4" closer to the center I still get out of the kiss with this english. At 5" I then use HRE or 1 o'clock, at 6" I then use HLE or 11 O'clock, if you use straight High you can get a kiss.
Possibly Bob would set it up using VP and see what results he gets. As you know I am on a 5 x 10 so the set up has to calculated. But at 6" closer to the center then I am at 1-1/2 diamonds off the side rail.

It turned out to be an interesting bank to work with.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q7qvBJvQtDBViuiY6 This video and the previous posted video show examples of how to stroke it if you want to play better position for the next shot. Otherwise use the english as per the below video. You can not use straight high for it can kiss.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnRxq5XKEm57aNX99 this english works extremely well as the cb is progressively moved more towards the center of the table.
Whitey

Last edited:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Nice dissection of the shot. You could hang up a shingle 'Dr. Whitey Bank shot Examiner'

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, Howdy;

Nice dissection of the shot. You could hang up a shingle 'Dr. Whitey Bank shot Examiner'

hank
Howdy back to ya, Hank! Yes, it is quite a bank when using HRE, it is as if the cb with its bending and ducking and flatting out, knows its job and performs so remarkably. It reminds of a beautiful positioning shot that Buddy Hall performs.
Its good to hear from the most popular bank threader! We surely miss your weekly episodes!
We are also now in total lock down, which seems different than when the bars were open and you could go play but didn't because of the high risk. Whitey

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Yea, I'm missing the tables at the local VFW too. Trying to continue the learning
but only with books and videos. Not nearly as much fun but according to "those that
know", safer and healthier. sigh ...
Keep on dissecting always something to learn from your videos.

hank

Shorty Bankz

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GGUFhNJ8bVMEzj1D6
Whitey
I played with it some more, and when I I move the cb 4" closer to the center I still get out of the kiss with this english. At 5" I then use HRE or 1 o'clock, at 6" I then use HLE or 11 O'clock, if you use straight High you can get a kiss.
Possibly Bob would set it up using VP and see what results he gets. As you know I am on a 5 x 10 so the set up has to calculated. But at 6" closer to the center then I am at 1-1/2 diamonds off the side rail.

It turned out to be an interesting bank to work with.
Thanks 👍

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
To the OP, If you really want to learn how to play. You should follow Whiteys lead, and go and shoot the shot, every way you can imagine. That is assuming you are proficient enough to have a repeatable stroke and are hitting the cueball exactly where you think you are, almost all of the time. { I believe this is the real reason, most people never get beyond a certain skill level } If you can't do this , spend your time mastering this , before going forward, or you will continually have to relearn how to play shots.
Set the shot up and shoot it with no english first, until you can make it. If the ball isn't coming close or is always short or long , no matter what you do with just speed, try a tip of side spin and see what happens. That is the way to guarantee , that you understand this type of shot or similar ones forever.
If you try to learn the other way , you will never truly know, what to do when the situation is a little different. I believe there are a finite amount of types of shots in pool, I would guess Dr Dave pretty much has the majority catalogued and explained in detail. Compare that with Willie Mosconis book on pool ,which is about all my generation had when it mattered, age 10 to 20 and you will be shocked that anyone ever learned how to run 3 balls.
jmo
I was 30 when Bob Byrne wrote his first pool book, I was physically sick, when I realised how little I knew about the game.

Last edited:

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
Point on the wall system. Changes slightly if frozen. Works for a few multi rail banks. There was a by the rail bank match for a big sum at High Pockets between to well known players a few years ago. One player made this shot routinely and the other was complaining about his "system". Lol

Edit.... The system may have been for the top rail first, side rail second two trailer. Hopefully my morning coffee will jog my memory. Im helpless without it.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
I believe the spin doesn’t matter if the OB is frozen to the rail. There is virtually no spin transfer from the CB in this case. The cut induced spin will still occur (although to a lesser extent) and therefore the thinner the hit the more the OB will shorten off the top rail which you need to make the 2-railer here. Obviously you can’t go too thin as the OB will catch the point of the corner pocket.

The precise thickness of the hit you can only establish by trial and error as Bill said.