the end of my home room

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I went by the broken rack in Emeryville yesterday and saw them rolling pool tables down the street to be sold. I found out they are going to keep 4 pool tables and get rid of the rest and turn it mostly into a pot club.

I have been going to this pool hall since 1998 and it certainly was good one pocket room.
I will miss this place and hope that all the pool hall orphans find new homes when this pandemic ends.

I hope no one else losses there pool hall and hope all is well
chris

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Sad end of an era. It was a great one pocket room, despite the inferior equipment. Which 4 did they keep? Prolly not the Diamonds. Unlikely to go there to play on their crummy Olhausens. If they can ever reopen, Draw in Berkeley may become the new place to play one pocket in the East Bay.

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Pool rooms will slowly go out of business in the coming years as the game transitions from physical to virtual. This might seem ridiculous to some, but it's the inevitable reality. Nothing bad about it, though. You'll play virtual pool under conditions that rival those of the real world.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
There's only one other sport that sells more, gadgets and gizmos tools and that's, fishing! The industry will never allow the, 'virtual' world of cue games to flourish. If that ever happens, you take out the most crucial element of these games. Mental pressure, physical ability to execute better or worst than other players. The emotion of, 'dogging it' physically and mentally is completely eliminated.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
The broken rack was not the best run place and had poo equipment but in my opinion had better action for a day to day pool hall than a lot of the others around. I never had any trouble finding a good game there and less whiney people about needing spots. My honest opinion about what I want from a pool hall is I want a place where I can find goo gambling with people who are not gonna be to much of a pain in the ass and the broken rack suited me there. Better to have good gambling on an olhousen than people not willing to bet a dime with some one they do not know on brand new diamonds in my opinion.

baby huey

Verified Member
I hate hearing about rooms closing. There might be only twenty or so rooms left open in Cali when this is over. If its ever over?

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
There's only one other sport that sells more, gadgets and gizmos tools and that's, fishing! The industry will never allow the, 'virtual' world of cue games to flourish. If that ever happens, you take out the most crucial element of these games. Mental pressure, physical ability to execute better or worst than other players. The emotion of, 'dogging it' physically and mentally is completely eliminated.

All of it will be in the virtual world. Every emotion and every physical ability or lack thereof. It's not if, but when. you'll also be buying virtual gadgets inside this virtual world.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
All of it will be in the virtual world. Every emotion and every physical ability or lack thereof. It's not if, but when. you'll also be buying virtual gadgets inside this virtual world.

When I have a player in front of me, and I see their, 'body language/facial expressions' I know how to proceed to get maximum value out of that customer! When you have a, 'Geek in a seat' that, in reality, can't draw the CB 18", and in the virtual world shoots like, Hoot Gibson with a keyboard. that, 'world' will mean nothing in the passing years of history of cue games!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

When I have a player in front of me, and I see their, 'body language/facial expressions' I know how to proceed to get maximum value out of that customer! When you have a, 'Geek in a seat' that, in reality, can't draw the CB 18", and in the virtual world shoots like, Hoot Gibson with a keyboard. that, 'world' will mean nothing in the passing years of history of cue games!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Don't know about recent years, but Chris used to live in Santa Barbara. He played all over central Calif. and Reno.
Henderson would know.
Last I heard he was in Central Coastal Northern California, Santa Rosa, north. He goes to Oscars new place in Sacramento for tournaments. His wife was headed to Arizona, New Mexico I read somewhere you not dare enter. Its’ name cannot be written, but it is not Parler.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Last I heard he was in Central Coastal Northern California, Santa Rosa, north. He goes to Oscars new place in Sacramento for tournaments. His wife was headed to Arizona, New Mexico I read somewhere you not dare enter. Its’ name cannot be written, but it is not Parler.
Right, Bill. It was Santa Rosa-- not Santa Barbara. And there was a pretty good room in Cotati, just a few miles south of there. I think Lee Simon owned it. Evidently Chris and his wife (Barbara?) split a number of years ago. Chris was a great player. He just couldn't quite crack the top echelon. His wife and he came up to Eureka for several good money tournaments, and they'd stay with us in Trinidad. Good guy, but misspent youth, as they say.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Doc, You need to take a nostalgic trip back to Northeern California. The place in Cotati closed, Santa Rosa, and all in between. There is still a little place in San Rafael but Bee says the tables are questionable. Still there is Fast Eddys in Santa Cruz and Chris’s place in Fremont. A few scattered in between but generally no place to play.

Mark T. Gradel

Weirdly a new pool hall open literally around the corner from my house, in Chicago. I wasn’t ready to shoot with strangers when they opened earlier this summer due to the covid. I would just stand outside looking at those brand new diamonds. We will have fun but not till 2021👍🎱