Spring Members Tournament

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Don't mean to step over brother Bill's thread, but I thought I'd let everybody know we have made contact and started to work with the new owners of Southaven Rec Center regarding a 24 player March, Mele in Memphis 3 members tournament. Included is a open bank tournament Thursday. Format similar to the last ones. Andy is also a member here. Hopefully things will look a little a little different next year so we can get something going.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
when in march are you thinking john
later in the month will be better for me
to be honest i am nervous flying these days but if the risk is less i may come.... :)

lfigueroa

Verified Member
From all I've read, there is no reason to think the status of the virus in the US will have changed by then.

In fact, if could be worse. Several members have already said a firm "no" to the DCC next year in January, so planning a members event just two months later makes little sense to me. Why not shoot for later in the year when there is a reasonable chance that a vaccine has become available? That way some of the older, more vulnerable members, could attend and be safe.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Well, first off, there's only a couple of guys for whom that would be a reasonable concern.

For the rest of the field, it's about a fun get together and I believe keeping the entry fee down is the more inclusive path. Traveling nowadays is not cheap.

Lou Figueroa

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Lou, Fun is fun but for many the expense for an event like this will run at least $700. and probably closer to $1,000.
To up the entry fee to $200. only adds 10% to the cost of the trip. Now anyone planning on attending isn't gong to mind that.
It's one thing to have fun and see all the guys but let's get real. To win or to finish in the top three should at least net a few bucks.
24 players @ $100. each = $2400. First place is typically 40% of the total bringing 1st place to $960.00. Net return....
Squadoosh.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
when in march are you thinking john
later in the month will be better for me
to be honest i am nervous flying these days but if the risk is less i may come.... :)

Larry, I understand your concern. I’ve been flying and air-lining around more than ever. Not that masks are 100% but everyone uses them on the airlines. Maybe it’s the vitamin D3 and Zinc I take but I’ve had close contact with two Covid victims and I’m still going strong. I’m averaging playing once a week so come get me😁

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, I understand your concern. I’ve been flying and air-lining around more than ever. Not that masks are 100% but everyone uses them on the airlines. Maybe it’s the vitamin D3 and Zinc I take but I’ve had close contact with two Covid victims and I’m still going strong. I’m averaging playing once a week so come get me😁
You are younger and in better shape than me.
plus you are so ornery the virus is afraid of you.... :giggle: ( just kidding)
I know I am dead money against you and the guys but it would be worth it to see everyone
i had a blast in Houston for the seniors and philly for the MOT

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Tom, I know what the expenses can add up to, having traveled to tournaments all over the country.

But if potential ROI is your priority, there are plenty of other events for you to consider. For a members tournament I personally feel that is the wrong priority. IMO, there are only a small number of guys that can reasonably expect to compete for first place. For the majority of participants it is not going to be a money-maker. And many guys, with the same level of potential expenses that you outlined, come to the event anyway in the knowledge that they are likely to go two-and-out. But their priority is to hang with friends and acquaintances they've made here over the years and IMO that's what a MOT should be about.

Personally I'm financially comfortable and am not going to blink whatever the expenses and entry fee. Nonetheless, I strongly feel that raising the entry fee is not the right move.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
It's not just about flying.

It's also about being in close quarters with a large number of folks from all over the country, some of which are infection hot spots. So some guys are young strapping bulls and have little to worry about. But others are getting up in years or are in close contact with friends and family who are even older and more vulnerable, or perhaps have medical issues. In my case, Gail is a cancer survivor -- and she has a depressed immune system.

We're getting closer to a vaccine being available, so what's the rush?

Lou Figueroa

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Lou, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I on the other hand will stick to mine. I wonder what the other members think about it. How bout a poll? Camaraderie is fine but there is more to a pool tournament than just that. If all we want to do is meet up for a party than that's okay by me. I"l bring the booze you bring the girls.

As far as covid. I trust as time goes and more information comes our way just as we do now, we will all make our own informed and personal decisions regarding that.

Tom

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thanks for the input. Your interest and ideas are always appreciated. After we get the event confirmed and dates set with Andy I'll make it a priority to go down there in person and touch base with him to see what he's done with the place. Entries aren't going to happen until after the first of the year with the tournament 5 months out so we have plenty of time to iron out concerns and details.
I know Miller and myself take the virus situation seriously so we will keep an eye on it to make sure we are all as safe as possible. Needless to say I would make darn sure any travel reservations are refundable.
We will address any concerns and suggestions mentioned here before we start taking entries.
Tom, i'll discuss this with Miller, but IMO 100 is plenty for an amateur tournament and makes it more accessible to our members.
We do have a player auction and other ways to increase your bottom line. Our spring tournaments have had bigger payouts than our main members tournament.
I think it would be a great idea for you and our tournament to use our events to advertise your book and schedule lessons. We could even put it on the poster for you.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
All in for the Spring Melee in SouthHaven. Reasoning for March tourney, Andy, Crabbcat and Miller are thinking it will give us enough time

between this tourney and MOT in ChiTown for all who want to play in both the opportunity to do so.

Tom, I see your point on increasing entry fee. Maybe something to think about for MOT.

Let's get it on ! Thanks to Dustin, John and Andy for effort in organizing this. Count Warren and me in. (y) :ROFLMAO::)(y)

Lou, the rush for me is I am getting the Joneses from not playing at all. We can all wear masks, if needed. Plan to start hitting balls

after Medicare Enrollment season - have to be able to pay for my hobby(habit). Told my wife I could be a deer hunter. :LOL:

Last edited:

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I am in for a spring tourney for sure!

As Crabb had mentioned, the player auction at The Rec has always gone high because the locals love to bet it up!!!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Tom, I know what the expenses can add up to, having traveled to tournaments all over the country.

But if potential ROI is your priority, there are plenty of other events for you to consider. For a members tournament I personally feel that is the wrong priority. IMO, there are only a small number of guys that can reasonably expect to compete for first place. For the majority of participants it is not going to be a money-maker. And many guys, with the same level of potential expenses that you outlined, come to the event anyway in the knowledge that they are likely to go two-and-out. But their priority is to hang with friends and acquaintances they've made here over the years and IMO that's what a MOT should be about.

Personally I'm financially comfortable and am not going to blink whatever the expenses and entry fee. Nonetheless, I strongly feel that raising the entry fee is not the right move.

Lou Figueroa
Tap, Tap, Tap

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
John, I hope you will at least consider upping the entry fee. Any of us who chooses to pay the expenses to travel to one of these events can easily afford it. The player auction doesn't help much. As an example. In Chitown I bought myself and afterwards found that I had to come in second just to break even!
BTW. if all you wish to do is make it accessible to more members than why not lower the entry fee to $50.00?
I vote for a poll!

Tom

Last edited: