5 rack game?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
billy
sorry to hear about the shape you are in.
wish there was something i could do or suggest to help

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Billy, I was hoping it was something like having spasm problems that would go away, but sorry man, I hope there is some remedy. It sure would be fun seeing you pull off the shots we have been discussing over the past few years.
Your mind is sharp and everyone on this thread and others sure respect your knowledge and input! thanks again, Whitey

I notice Cincy's thread has now hit 5,000 views. Wow! thanks everyone.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Here is my latest attempt at the One Pocket Ghost. As we all know, there are at least two versions of this exercise.
Neither is easy and for different reasons. The version I show here is where I take ball in hand after the break. This
obviously makes it easy to get started. You will always have an open shot to begin your run but there is an
expectation of running far higher number of Balls.

I understand some of the top players have run in the 60s. I'm not settling for what I did here but I think I did a fairly good job.
At least I have a personal target to beat now.

Tom

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Here is my latest attempt at the One Pocket Ghost. As we all know, there are at least two versions of this exercise.
Neither is easy and for different reasons. The version I show here is where I take ball in hand after the break. This
obviously makes it easy to get started. You will always have an open shot to begin your run but there is an
expectation of running far higher number of Balls.

I understand some of the top players have run in the 60s. I'm not settling for what I did here but I think I did a fairly good job.
At least I have a personal target to beat now.

Tom

Tom, you have such a great stroke for pocketing balls, that was fun to watch.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Welcome Tom, and thanks for joining our thread, we have been having a great time. Nice shooting, looks like you are going to get your 50 -50+.
We all wish this virus was over so more could join on in. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Since we're being funny, here's a glimpse of what my wife goes through every day. I went downstairs right after I had lunch; open face bagels with cream cheese and salami. I'm not sure other elderly folks on here have issues with clearing their throats after eating, but I do for 30-45 minutes after every meal, especially when dairy is involved.

With that said, here is a 28 ball run while clearing my throat the whole time. The funny thing was I didn't even know I was doing it until I listened to it. I showed Di and after laughing she suggested I should be counting my throat clearing instead of # of balls. 😂🤣😂

Whitey, that bank I mentioned in your thread that I elevated and over cut is in the 2nd rack.

(I'll be more mindful of this in the future)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Since we're being funny, here's a glimpse of what my wife goes through every day. I went downstairs right after I had lunch; open face bagels with cream cheese and salami. I'm not sure other elderly folks on here have issues with clearing their throats after eating, but I do for 30-45 minutes after every meal, especially when dairy is involved.

With that said, here is a 28 ball run while clearing my throat the whole time. The funny thing was I didn't even know I was doing it until I listened to it. I showed Di and after laughing she suggested I should be counting my throat clearing instead of # of balls. 😂🤣😂

Whitey, that bank I mentioned in your thread that I elevated and over cut is in the 2nd rack.

Billy, I was hoping it was something like having spasm problems that would go away, but sorry man, I hope there is some remedy. It sure would be fun seeing you pull off the shots we have been discussing over the past few years.
Your mind is sharp and everyone on this thread and others sure respect your knowledge and input! thanks again, Whitey

I notice Cincy's thread has now hit 5,000 views. Wow! thanks everyone.
Thanks Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave,
I believe you would of got a kiss on that bank even if you contacted it properly to make the bank, because of how you stroked the cb.
It is hard to tell of course,
but I believe you would need a level stroke w/ extreme high plus plenty of left. You have to get the cb to follow through cleanly plus still get the spin to take off the foot rail.
The other way is to use a level stroke with center ball just above center to get the cb to go straight into the foot rail and then straight back off, but beings you were shooting over a ball then this stroke is not available.

I believe the use of the half masse' stroke is basically only needed when the ob is close to the foot rail and there is not much real-estate to work with.

Nice shooting! It seems like your stroke is smoother. Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I have had acid reflux since my early 20's and that causes me to constantly clear my throat after eating pretty much any meal. It probably doesn't help that I use hot sauce a lot too... :)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I have had acid reflux since my early 20's and that causes me to constantly clear my throat after eating pretty much any meal. It probably doesn't help that I use hot sauce a lot too... :)
My wife is a saint about my clearing my throat after eating, until she's not. After a while she says I have 5 more minutes 😂🤣😂🤣

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vjRTN9pBLRwTGn9n7 This break either sticks the cb or allows it move back forward, but the pause combined with getting the cb to stay in closer to the front of the rack, keeps the cb from coming into contact with the corner ball as it comes around.

I have been consistently getting a shot off of this break, so I thought I would share it. I tried a few soft breaks was this morning and was not getting a shot, plus not opening up the balls, so I decided what the heck, I am going to use more force. I found I can use this above center break and if I do not hit it perfect it still seems to leave a shot whether cb goes to either side of the stack. Usually only two balls go up table, so there is a possibility to score high.
Dave, I see you have got away from the side of the stack break, going two rails to center of the table. It did not work for me, I could not consistently get a shot. I like the results you got using the center of the table break! Nice break, easy to control!

I think with this new break method I now might be able to consistently get a 20+. We'll see, my priorities this time of year are else where, so the focus wains.
I am realizing what Billy Jackets emphasized; pick off the open balls then go after the clusters. This way I am going for a score vs. playing the perfect rack. My stroke and touch is just not there to lay down that perfect touch shot, so when I go to pick off a couple of balls that are somewhat out of play (playing the short side) but I am there, I get in trouble, whereas I could of shot in 4 balls that were definitely open. Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I am realizing what Billy Jackets emphasized; pick off the open balls then go after the clusters. This way I am going for a score vs. playing the perfect rack. My stroke and touch is just not there to lay down that perfect touch shot, so when I go to pick off a couple of balls that are somewhat out of play (playing the short side) but I am there, I get in trouble, whereas I could of shot in 4 balls that were definitely open. Whitey

It is very hard to disagree with this. My break now consistently leaves me a shot and opens 4 to 15 balls to shape for my hole but I get caught up trying to get behind that one hard ball as opposed to running the 6 easy one and end up with a 3

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Agree with all 3 of you guys: Billy J; Whitey (thanks for another break idea); and Chris "catkins" that the key is to pick off the easy ones than attack the cluster(s), but I'm still a sucker to try 🤬. I try not to break balls up in the direction of open balls in fear of creating more clusters.

I hope to run and post a 45+ run in the near future due to Billy J's encouragement. I know I posted a 28 recently but that was because of me clearing my throat throughout that struck me funny, especially after Chris's post about pushups if he doesn't run 20 LOL. I loved that post!

With pushups in mind, I just ran a 32 yesterday because of Chris. I was on 17 after 4 making nothing after the 4th rack, but I didn't want Chris to do pushups so I broke the final rack instead of starting over...and I ended up running 15 doing some fun stuff. Thanks Chris.

Here it is...

I know the music is a little strange, but YouTube blocked my original post because I was listening to Ralph Towner, so I was forced to replace the tunes.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO