Sylver Ochoa

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
About 10 years ago, this guy was playing really jam up 1hole. What in the hell happened to him, did he quit pool altogether?

baby huey

Verified Member
About ten years ago, Scott Frost spotted Sylver 9/8 on Scotts break and Slyver gave all he could handle. People don't know how well he plays all games and his banking skills are pretty sporty. I saw him at the Boggies Senior Event last year and he told me he was not playing. I didn't get any more info from him but suffice it to say he could play.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
About ten years ago, Scott Frost spotted Sylver 9/8 on Scotts break and Slyver gave all he could handle. People don't know how well he plays all games and his banking skills are pretty sporty. I saw him at the Boggies Senior Event last year and he told me he was not playing. I didn't get any more info from him but suffice it to say he could play.

It think it was at the last tournament at Hollywood Billiards. I sweated it and Friday night Sylver got 8/7 and won a few k. Saturday night he got 9/8 and lost. He got to pounding beers after getting stuck and that did not help. I think Scott beat him 4/3 at Derby City when he won the title there. At that time it looked like Sylver was definitely up there with the top players.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I played him about 20 yrs.ago. 2 sets, won the 1st. lost the 2nd. Was really impressed with his manner and his banking ability for a young guy.

jay helfert

Verified Member
It think it was at the last tournament at Hollywood Billiards. I sweated it and Friday night Sylver got 8/7 and won a few k. Saturday night he got 9/8 and lost. He got to pounding beers after getting stuck and that did not help. I think Scott beat him 4/3 at Derby City when he won the title there. At that time it looked like Sylver was definitely up there with the top players.

That was at one of our Jay Swanson Memorial events, held at Hollywood Billiards. Sylver had beaten Scott earlier getting 9-7, 8-7 and they adjusted the game. They went to 8-7 all the time and Sylver won again. Finally at 9-8 Scott had the best of it. Overall I think Sylver came out ahead after several confrontations.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Jay, please forgive me - these handicaps are a mystery to me. I calculate that a change from the 8-7 game to 9-8 meant that the stronger player gained .017 in the arithmetic - less than 2%. In your example, Scott/Sylver, did the favorite and the dog swap positions for future matching up? Or was it negligible, and more likely just a variance in their relative performances or the roll of the balls? Was the adjustment greater than just the difference in the numbers? All responses appreciated.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Jay, please forgive me - these handicaps are a mystery to me. I calculate that a change from the 8-7 game to 9-8 meant that the stronger player gained .017 in the arithmetic - less than 2%. In your example, Scott/Sylver, did the favorite and the dog swap positions for future matching up? Or was it negligible, and more likely just a variance in their relative performances or the roll of the balls? Was the adjustment greater than just the difference in the numbers? All responses appreciated.

Ha ha, Matching up in One Pocket is literally that sensitive/acute. The slightest adjustment can change everything, including who is the favorite. Maybe it's partly psychological, but that 2% you mention may be enough to sway a game one way or the other.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
That was at one of our Jay Swanson Memorial events, held at Hollywood Billiards. Sylver had beaten Scott earlier getting 9-7, 8-7 and they adjusted the game. They went to 8-7 all the time and Sylver won again. Finally at 9-8 Scott had the best of it. Overall I think Sylver came out ahead after several confrontations.

Jay, was It a dual event too? I remember playing in a one pocket event there on that red cloth and thought it was the same time Frost and Sylver played.