2020 Members Only Tournament (MoT) - Room Nominations

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I talked to Lacy’s, they only have 12 tables now. I’m crossing them off my list. I doubt I’ll go to Michael’s with only 12 tables. Your preference may vary.

There’s only two rooms on my list for this year. California Billiards and Chris’s. I’m good for either room.
That is too bad because everyone liked it at Lacy's! 12 tables can still be on the ballot -- it means starting earlier on Friday. If you do not want to advocate for Lacy's but someone else steps up, then I will still include Lacy's on the ballot. Any room on the ballot needs to have a member here willing to be the local liaison; so it sounds like we need a volunteer for Lacy's to be on the ballot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd like to wrap up the nominations soon -- so I am going to say one week from today we will close it and post the poll.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That is too bad because everyone liked it at Lacy's! 12 tables can still be on the ballot -- it means starting earlier on Friday. If you do not want to advocate for Lacy's but someone else steps up, then I will still include Lacy's on the ballot. Any room on the ballot needs to have a member here willing to be the local liaison; so it sounds like we need a volunteer for Lacy's to be on the ballot.

I'm more than happy to be the Lacy’s volunteer. If we used 12 tables what time would we start, 10am? I’ll go to Lacy’s Monday and talk to them. I did have a phone conversation with them and they are interested.

John or some Bay Area member needs to nominate California Billiards

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I talked to Lacy’s, they only have 12 tables now. I’m crossing them off my list. I doubt I’ll go to Michael’s with only 12 tables. Your preference may vary.

There’s only two rooms on my list for this year. California Billiards and Chris’s. I’m good for either room.
Jim, I'm curious if you know why Frank got rid of five 9-footers. Did he put in karaoke or something? Perhaps they just weren't getting used.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Jim, I'm curious if you know why Frank got rid of five 9-footers. Did he put in karaoke or something? Perhaps they just weren't getting used.

I heard that Frank was renting the tables from Diamond and he didn’t need those tables or the extra cost.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The Hall of Fame Dinner will occur on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at Buffalo's on Bloomfield in New Orleans. Nearest/Best Hotel: Hampton Inn and Suites, New Orleans Elmwood (855) 479-0732. 5150 Mounes St. Harahan, LA 70123. This hotel is literally walking distance to the pool room. Many restaurants around and abundant parking.
is walking with your cue case from the hotel to the room and back a problem?? ie safe??

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
is walking with your cue case from the hotel to the room and back a problem?? ie safe??
There's a big mall more or less across the street, and otherwise it's more of an industrial neighborhood, so I wouldn't think it's a high crime area. Of course it's still New Orleans..;) If you'd be concerned, Buff would probably stow your pole in the back room to be safe.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
California Billiards offered $3000 last time to have the tournament there but we told him we didn’t do that sort of thing

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
They didnt offer 3k... but did offer a good amount. If somebody added 3k I would pay 16 places ...lol
I still say it was $3000 but it was turned down right away by The Administrator. We have never allowed anyone to donate any money because of undo influence with rooms that have greater ability to offer incentives. I sent Chris a message asking if he wanted to host again but No Answer so far. We can have a four man tournament at my house of equal players. You, Chris, Larry, me. We put up $1000 each. Green fees ($950) would have to come out of pot. New Orleans was the only time I considered carrying the short time I lived there. I wouldn’t say New Orleans is a high crime area, just the crime area has no boundaries.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think if a room wants to add money it's fine as long as they don't want to control who we allow to play.
Me and Miller had no problem accepting added money for our member tournaments, we considered it a nice gesture by the room owner and he had no demands in return.
I appreciate the invite to your house. Maybe one day if I get up that way.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I think a modest amount added is fine. I think too much would be better spent for a pro tournament, which Chris has been great about and it’s what I would have told him when the idea of adding came up. Too much for us would certainly make it appealing for even better players than we already have to make the effort to meet our basic requirements just for eligibility. I think zero to 500 or so is good.

Maybe we should not call it a calcutta, but instead should call it a Player Sponsor Auction — PSA. That way anyone like him can bid up what he wants and write it off.

I played yesterday at Amazin Billiards in Malden MA and they now have 12 9’ tables. They also have 4 heated world class billiard tables and one 6x12 modern snooker table!! The owner (Mazin Shooni) is a former US 3 cushion champion, and he was out of town for a 3c tournament somewhere, but I am going to talk to him about hosting — maybe not this year. I’ll see what he says.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I think a modest amount added is fine. I think too much would be better spent for a pro tournament, which Chris has been great about and it’s what I would have told him when the idea of adding came up. Too much for us would certainly make it appealing for even better players than we already have to make the effort to meet our basic requirements just for eligibility. I think zero to 500 or so is good.

Maybe we should not call it a calcutta, but instead should call it a Player Sponsor Auction — PSA. That way anyone like him can bid up what he wants and write it off.

I played yesterday at Amazin Billiards in Malden MA and they now have 12 9’ tables. They also have 4 heated world class billiard tables and one 6x12 modern snooker table!! The owner (Mazin Shooni) is a former US 3 cushion champion, and he was out of town for a 3c tournament somewhere, but I am going to talk to him about hosting — maybe not this year. I’ll see what he says.
I have been to this room and he is an amazing ambassador of billiard sports. There are some local players that play pretty jam up too.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Ok I got an answer from Chris at California Billyards, 8 9’ diamond tables by them selves, 20 other tables 9’ available for play and he said anytime.

baby huey

Verified Member
I'm a homer but Cali Billiards is a great venue. The owner Chris Swart does support One Pocket dot Org and will probably add money. He also gets us a great room rate at the Holiday Inn for about $100/night which includes a breakfast. Now it's on the west coast so it is not centrally located but for playing in a great room with added money and a safe hotel to stay in, you cannot do better than that. And, as an added feature we all get to hang with Sizzor Bill AKA Kentucky Bill..............What could be better than that?