Big Picture Advice

Keith E.

Verified Member
I didn't want to clog up the thread that @youngstownkid started so I figured that I'd start this one.

How do you good folks get out of the trees so that you can see the forest when you're in a game? Most of the time, for me, things seem clearer when I'm railbirding as opposed to playing. I feel that I can see a little further ahead when not directly participating. As a reference, this is only my fourth year of actually being interested in this game.

Thanks In Advance,
Keith

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I didn't want to clog up the thread that @youngstownkid started so I figured that I'd start this one.

How do you good folks get out of the trees so that you can see the forest when you're in a game? Most of the time, for me, things seem clearer when I'm railbirding as opposed to playing. I feel that I can see a little further ahead when not directly participating. As a reference, this is only my fourth year of actually being interested in this game.

Thanks In Advance,
Keith
Well I agree watching is a good way to get a feel. Watching with good commentating is even better :)

In the pressure cooker of a game I agree it is appealing to just focus on hitting the shot you see as well as you can.

In general, that kind of thinking is best done in your seat or on your initial approach to the table, well before you get down on your shot.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Acquiring a “tunnel vision” when playing is not uncommon. I had exact same problem in my formative years. Taking a walk around the table and looking at the balls from different angles before each shot helped and so did going through a decision making routine (e.g. 1 - are there any dead balls to my/op’s hole, 2 - any bank / carom bank / rail first bank shots to my hole, 3 - any kicks or banks at the stack, 4 - do I take a scratch and where etc.). I should have a full list laying around somewhere but I’m sure you will be able to come up with a similar one. I also tried to prioritise my decisions (1 - shoot at my hole, 2 - not let the op see a ball near my hole, 3 - move a ball/s to my hole, 4 - remove the balls from op’s hole, 5 - get out of an inning). Hope this helps