Alex Pagulayan - Tony Chohan 2006 Derby City Classic

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Alex to shoot and he's stumped. He's not the mover he'll someday be, so he has no idea what to do here.

What would you do?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Don't know the score, but it really doesn't matter this inning.

I would probably roll the 8 down by the stripe, taking care to leave it short a tiny bit, don't want to risk making it.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Don't know the score, but it really doesn't matter this inning.

I would probably roll the 8 down by the stripe, taking care to leave it short a tiny bit, don't want to risk making it.

Score is in the top right of image, both balls (pts) and games.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I only need 2 so I am not doing anythign too risky, I am putting the 8 ball up near the head rail hopefully tieing it up with the other 2 that's up there and having the CB get near the head rail too over by the corner. Basically cueing about 9:30.

If I make the 5, no big deal, he cant really make the other ball in the corner because of the cluster in the middle so he will have to shoot at the 5 towards his pocket or sending it back up table.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Alex would probably just bank the 8 straight back. It's hard to tell if there's a kiss (that may be what Alex is trying to decide), but if there is, I like Jeff's shot.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Alex to shoot and he's stumped. He's not the mover he'll someday be, so he has no idea what to do here.

What would you do?

Pretty sure I'd thin the left side of the 8 and send whitey 2 rails to the middle of the bottom rail (hope I don't hit the point on the side pocket with my CB, but it's close.)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I'd bank at it straight back.

I looked at that too Rod, but I was afraid that if I hit the stripe in the corner, the 8 ball is going towards my opponents hole plus the stripe spots up and they have a good chance to get 2 from there.

And if you miss the stripe, it "may" be on a kiss - hard to tell...

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I think I would just roll very softly into those two balls on the headrail, to leave him jacked up over the rail and a ball. Tough for him to bank the 8 from there without risking a return bank. Since I need 2, I don't mind opening those two balls up. In fact, as they lie now, I can't do anything with those two balls but he can 2-rail the 10, which is another reason to adjust them slightly.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I looked at that too Rod, but I was afraid that if I hit the stripe in the corner, the 8 ball is going towards my opponents hole plus the stripe spots up and they have a good chance to get 2 from there.

And if you miss the stripe, it "may" be on a kiss - hard to tell...

All good points Kid. To make this you have to elevate the rear of your cue and aim for a 1/2 ball hit. The CIE will turn it back, maybe to much. Anyway I'm not babying it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Alex Pagulayan - Tony Chohan 2006 Derby City Classic

All good points Kid. To make this you have to elevate the rear of your cue and aim for a 1/2 ball hit. The CIE will turn it back, maybe to much. Anyway I'm not babying it.

Heh! Rod we have to play sometime!! Our game will look like an old western. Lots if shooting. Heh. I agree. Love this shot. And you are right kid about hitting that ball. If I do shoot straight back I'm focusing hard on my aim point being left of that ball up there.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Heh! Rod we have to play sometime!! Our game will look like an old western. Lots if shooting. Heh. I agree. Love this shot. And you are right kid about hitting that ball. If I do shoot straight back I'm focusing hard on my aim point being left of that ball up there.

Yea, I used to be more of a shooter when I played more often, now I have to be more careful :)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I wouldn't be opposed to pocketing the 5ball and resting the cue ball in the pocket. From that position my opponent will be stiff on the 8ball plus he would have problems playing off the 8ball as well. There will be two open balls for me to win with, plus I will get the first move.

When ever you need two balls with with four or more balls left on the table imo I like two balls open (no more) and the rest out of play. This type of a situation puts more pressure on your opponent then any other type of situation, in terms of open balls. Again, jmo

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think I would just roll very softly into those two balls on the headrail, to leave him jacked up over the rail and a ball. Tough for him to bank the 8 from there without risking a return bank. Since I need 2, I don't mind opening those two balls up. In fact, as they lie now, I can't do anything with those two balls but he can 2-rail the 10, which is another reason to adjust them slightly.

Yes I considered that, but if you move the 8 there he will make the ball (12?) in your side corner pocket and block you from seeing the ball (5?) in the other corner pocket. Leave the 8 in your zone and he can't do that.

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Yes I considered that, but if you move the 8 there he will make the ball (12?) in your side corner pocket and block you from seeing the ball (5?) in the other corner pocket. Leave the 8 in your zone and he can't do that.

I wasn't clear. I meant roll the cue-ball up there, not the 8-ball. I'll leave the 8 in my zone and the cueball in an awkward spot.

Attachments

• Softshot.JPG
    Softshot.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I wouldn't be opposed to pocketing the 5ball and resting the cue ball in the pocket. From that position my opponent will be stiff on the 8ball plus he would have problems playing off the 8ball as well. There will be two open balls for me to win with, plus I will get the first move.
Dr. Bill
That was my first choice as a safety. But then I decided that I'd shoot it only if the 5 ball on the spot would block the cross corner of the 8. Because these guys would shoot that bank in a heart beat. Even putting the 8 near the hole is going to give the opponent problems.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
That was my first choice as a safety. But then I decided that I'd shoot it only if the 5 ball on the spot would block the cross corner of the 8. Because these guys would shoot that bank in a heart beat. Even putting the 8 near the hole is going to give the opponent problems.

~Doc

If the 8ball can be banked it must be hit firmly and hold the cue ball, it clearly can't be crossed. I would welcome anyone who would try to bank the 8ball using this method, poor management on their part.

Dr. Bill