End game

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
End game, 4 balls and under.

I have been weighed and measured, and I have been found wanting.
My end game is in search of a mentor.

Just thought, throw this out there, good topic for discussion, lots of knowledge here, and most are happy to share, so here is the basic query.

What are the most important things to consider when involved in an end game, and in what order ( train of thought) do you stack up them up. How do you go about your pre-shot routine, and what is your first consideration? All of these thoughts should be predicated on an even or close to even ball count.

If Ive asked the wrong questions here, feel free to add your question to this thread, I'm just interested in acquiring more knowledge about the END GAME.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Just thought, throw this out there, good topic for discussion, lots of knowledge here, and most are happy to share, so here is the basic query.

What are the most important things to consider when involved in an end game, and in what order ( train of thought) do you stack up them up. How do you go about your pre-shot routine, and what is your first consideration? All of these thoughts should be predicated on an even or close to even ball count.

If Ive asked the wrong questions here, feel free to add your question to this thread, I'm just interested in acquiring more knowledge about the END GAME.

I think knowing your opponent is a key ingredient if you play the same people on a regular basis,

I have three players I play often and I play each one differently in the end game. One spots me, one I play even and one I give weight to. IMO my end game is better than all three, but the closest is the one I give weight to. He banks off the end rail with speed very well and spins the one rail bank out of the corner on my side as well as anyone I have played. The other two are better ball runners than I am, but I am more patient, especially in the end game. Most of their wins come earlier in the game and if it does get down to a few balls they are more likely to take a flyer than wait.

We are usually playing for $40 to $100 a game and know each others game well. Not many unknown players come around much anymore, but if you are playing a stranger, shot selection until you feel them out would be the key for me.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Jeff, that's a very difficult question to answer because every game has it's own personality. Some are similar but never the same. There are over riding priorities which should be respected, but then again that depends on the player and how it's perceived.

Basic things to remember, which you probably already know would be to leave distance when given a chance. (learn creative ways to bring the cue ball back to the bottom rail) When leaving the table try to leave the cue ball on or near a rail. (make a conscious effort in the execution of the move) Look for balls that favor one player over the other and treat them accordingly. Move balls that only favor your opponent and leave balls that only favor you. Learn to recognize balls that favor one player over the other. ( I often emphasize the importance of this when choosing options for the wwyd's when relevant)) Whenever a ball is positioned on the shooters side of the table 1/2 diamond or less to the top pocket on the top rail, this ball only favors the non shooter and should be moved as quickly as possible, or when it's convenient. Same rule applies when there's a ball positioned on the side rail near the top pocket on the shooters side of the table 1/2 diamond or less from the top pocket, this ball can only be banked (three in the corner) to the shooters pocket, treat it accordingly.

The up table game would be better taught in a case by case scenario, like I mentioned before, every game takes on it's own personality. As we go through different positions then we could bring up what options would be the better or best option to choose, and why.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think knowing your opponent is a key ingredient if you play the same people on a regular basis,

I have three players I play often and I play each one differently in the end game. One spots me, one I play even and one I give weight to. IMO my end game is better than all three, but the closest is the one I give weight to. He banks off the end rail with speed very well and spins the one rail bank out of the corner on my side as well as anyone I have played. The other two are better ball runners than I am, but I am more patient, especially in the end game. Most of their wins come earlier in the game and if it does get down to a few balls they are more likely to take a flyer than wait.

We are usually playing for $40 to $100 a game and know each others game well. Not many unknown players come around much anymore, but if you are playing a stranger, shot selection until you feel them out would be the key for me.

Those are excellent points which shouldn't be undervalued, knowing how to play your opponent will alter your decision making from one player to the other.

There are players that understand the importance of leaving certain players long (like myself) which is very beneficial when playing an aggressive game. Leaving distance when playing a mediocre ball striker will be the better move ..at times.. then playing a better tactical move, simply because you can play more aggressively.

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thank you guys,

I will try to apply all those thoughts in my end game today. Very kind of youse guys to share, much appreciated. I'm off to Bogies to apply em now.

Jeff

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Look for balls that favor one player over the other and treat them accordingly. Move balls that only favor your opponent and leave balls that only favor you....

Whenever a ball is positioned on the shooters side of the table 1/2 diamond or less to the top pocket on the top rail, this ball only favors the non shooter and should be moved as quickly as possible, or when it's convenient. Same rule applies when there's a ball positioned on the side rail near the top pocket on the shooters side of the table 1/2 diamond or less from the top pocket, this ball can only be banked (three in the corner) to the shooters pocket, treat it accordingly.

Dr. Bill

These are jewels.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Jeff....repeating what I stated in my last thread ----->

Re. some of my teaching to Clyde for the last 10 months being about the end game...I've told him that by far the great majority of games won during the end game segment of One Pocket are a result of a player being careless and leaving his opponent a bank - the opponent then making the bank, and making it will often lead to him making another ball or two...the bank will usually be a straight back, a cross-corner, or a two-rail bank - and often times it will be a tough bank that didn't seem to be so dangerous to leave him...

So I've stressed to Clyde...if you're in the end game, and don't have a viable offensive shot, thus having to play a safety..try very hard to find a place to leave the cue ball where you won't leave a bank (or a thin cut shot - the other danger in the end game) - and if you have to leave a bank or cut shot, then let it be a very tough/low% one.

keoneyo

Verified Member
During the endgame I like to keep in mind before I commit to a shot is that every action has a reaction. Or every shot has a response or a consequence to it. That is unless you are able to run out then there is no response but to rack em. (Which is always the best solution)

Those who continue to look for only a shot to their hole in the end game are doomed to major consequences. They evidently are unaware of the lay of the land. Like others have said putting balls in position that favor you and taking out balls that favor your opponent is so important in the end game.

These a player must begin to recognize. Like for example a ball frozen to the top rail on your side by the 1st diamond does not benefit you but benefits your opponent greatly. This was pointed out by Billy during the MIH event. Moving those balls are a priority.

Keep in mind Risk vs Reward. Take the time to see the results of your action. Is the shot worthy of the risk or a result unfavorable to you. The endgame is often resolved by the first mistake one makes.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Played for 9 hours, 3 different people, ( I'm so sore my hair aches) I felt like I had a gun and they had a fly swatter! I see how the good players just robbed me years ago and why I was almost always uncomfortable coming to the table.

The advice given freely by all of you is truly appreciated. The leaving of distance, the bad & good ball positioning, the bank and cut shot advice, the difference in opponents, and the CB positioning, all gems!

If youse got more... I'm all ears.

Thanks again,

Jeff

P.S. I'm comin to get you Rod!
P.P.S. And you may win Monday Jtom, but you're gonna be wringing wet!!

1andDone

Verified Member
From
Ocean Springs, MS
Keep in mind Risk vs Reward. Take the time to see the results of your action. Is the shot worthy of the risk or a result unfavorable to you. The endgame is often resolved by the first mistake one makes.

Good advice for the whole game, here!

Also, as pointed out earlier, getting familiar with your opponent's game will help in you'd decision making. I play one person in particular who banks 'em in off the top rail like a champ! I try to put him into a wedge on his side.
Another person I play cuts them down the rail like they're hangers! I try to keep balls close to the top rail, open and bankable against him.
My general strategy, though, is to try to set the trap early and run out while the balls are all still down table. In this scenario the only end game is making sure I pocket and get position on my last couple balls! :cool:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm no expert but you can really learn a lot by watching One Pocket matches especially when they are commentated by our own Dr. Billy Incardona. Youtube, Accu-Statts and others have enough material to teach anyone interested in learning. For me, I'd say to be patient and wait for a good shot or at least a free shot, and keep his balls away from easy potting position. The end game is the one place where you can actually think 2 or 3 moves ahead like you do in chess. Also, it is good to accept the fact that this is going to be a grind and not get in a hurry to end the game with a winger.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
it is good to accept the fact that this is going to be a grind and not get in a hurry to end the game with a winger.

Others have implied this in various ways, but Petie you cut to the chase and gave the best and simplest piece of advice on the thread, IMO.