Greatest display of knowledge and skill

Peter Bresee

Hello there, I don't often post here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Seattle, I'm a relatively new to one pocket and pool. I'm 20 years old, have been playing pool for about 5 years and one pocket for about 2. I absolutely love the game, and its a shame I rarely seen anyone less than twice my age playing!

Anyway, I pay a lot of attention to excellent players, both in person and in videos, and I was wondering if anyone could nominate a video they believe to be the best one pocket caught on tape. I'm certainly willing to pay to see it. Thanks for your consideration!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Hello there, I don't often post here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Seattle, I'm a relatively new to one pocket and pool. I'm 20 years old, have been playing pool for about 5 years and one pocket for about 2. I absolutely love the game, and its a shame I rarely seen anyone less than twice my age playing!

Anyway, I pay a lot of attention to excellent players, both in person and in videos, and I was wondering if anyone could nominate a video they believe to be the best one pocket caught on tape. I'm certainly willing to pay to see it. Thanks for your consideration!

People will probably recommend the Efren DCC semis and finals when he was playing just about perfect, offensive pool. Defensive too I suppose.

I personally think the best production in one pocket I have ever witnessed, both for teaching and perhaps entertainment-wise as well, is the Varner vs Fusco match Legend Phily style that has player commentary/review with Fusco and Grady Mathews. That may be too old to even get your hands on, but certainly worth a try.

Welcome to the site. I have always wanted to get up to Seattle. Been to Portland a bunch of times.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
IMO, the best match video to get for knowledge is the Fusco/Rempe match at the Philly Legends -- and not just because I was the commentator. For years it was the biggest seller Accu-stats ever had. I have it on DVD and Pat Fleming should have it also.

The best onepocket instructional DVDs (IMO) are Willie Joplings Ultimate Onepocket, now rare and out of print (but I do have a few copies) and Billy Incardona's One pocket DVD. I have others, but those are my choices.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Congratulations Peter...Its neat that you have found one pocket, to be the great game it is, at such an early age !..This will surely mean you will progress more rapidly than most of your peers, who play rotation games...Almost any video that features a top 1P player, will guide you in the right direction..Just pay close attention !

I might suggest you watch the recent Efren Reyes/Bobby Emmons match, (available free, on youtube)...Efren is past his prime, and Bobby is probably a better pure shot maker !...For his age, he plays pretty darn good one pocket.. But, it will show you, how shot selection, and cue ball control, will allow age and experience, to easily overcome youth..Efren is giving Bobby 9 to 6, and it is no contest !..Most top notch 1P players, could give him the same game. (or even more)

SJD

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
There are several on Youtube.

I try to find those with Billy Incardona commentary.

I also recommend looking at different styles.

These is how I classify them.

1. Chicago style, where above all else you control the cueball and never give them a shot. To me this is classic one pocket and Chris Gentile is what I think of using it. (Efren and Chris are my favorite players to watch but totally different styles).

2. West Coast Style - Scott Frost, Ronnie Allen. Aggressive that pays big dividends when executed but huge risks.

3. Efren Reyes - style of incredible creativity and cueball control.

4. Nick Varner - you have to see the "wedge" and you will hear it called the Nick Varner wedge, but others have used it including Buddy Hall and others.

I try to play the Chicago style primairly, but usually I look more like an ATM than anything else.

Best of luck,

Ken

PS. The match where Efren played perfect is at the DCC where Efren Reyes played Jason Miller. It is on Accu-stats.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hi Peter

Shannon Daulton/Efren Reyes, and Shannon Daulton/Buddy Hall, both at the 1998 Legends in Baton Rouge.

And Fred is right (as usual) about the Willie Jopling instructional. If Fred isn't willing to part with any of the few he has, you can find it online (I think Bebobpublishing.com has it for about 40 bucks.) Willie did two versions. I think the first disc is more suitable for beginner-intermediate; the second is the one that really impresses me.

And, Fred: It's OK for you to promote your commentating. ;) It's top notch.

My dream one-pocket commentating team would be Incardona, Maddux, Bentavegna.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
IMO, the best match video to get for knowledge is the Fusco/Rempe match at the Philly Legends -- and not just because I was the commentator. For years it was the biggest seller Accu-stats ever had. I have it on DVD and Pat Fleming should have it also.

Beard

Just got off the phone with Pat and told him the Freddy recommended this video and he had it in stock and was sending it out today.

Ken

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hi Peter

Shannon Daulton/Efren Reyes, and Shannon Daulton/Buddy Hall, both at the 1998 Legends in Baton Rouge.

And Fred is right (as usual) about the Willie Jopling instructional. If Fred isn't willing to part with any of the few he has, you can find it online (I think Bebobpublishing.com has it for about 40 bucks.) Willie did two versions. I think the first disc is more suitable for beginner-intermediate; the second is the one that really impresses me.

And, Fred: It's OK for you to promote your commentating. ;) It's top notch.

My dream one-pocket commentating team would be Incardona, Maddux, Bentavegna.

I have both bolumes of the Willie Jopling 1pkt dvd in one box. He combined them later and sold the duo for about 80 or 90 dollars (forgot which). I have the dual edition and I let it go for $49.95. It is 4 hours long.

Beard

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Just a thought

Just a thought

While matches with the likes of joyner, Reyes, Frost and others come to mind, in the beginnIng and starting out, there is the old"what should a player of MY SPEED" shoot here?

My answer to that is guys like Hopkins, Varner and even Diliberto.
While deadly, they show that defense is key.

Also, Incardona vs Vickery-Bill didnt out shoot him, it was maneuvering.
Bill I, Daulton, Joyner are very good examples of smart play.

Daulton-Joyner had a hell of a match, and anything Effren did, wow.

Billy I commentating is absolutely PRICELESS and Danny Di/Freddie are too.

Peter Bresee

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. To give some indication of my speed, I play about 10-5 with the strongest players in the area. Most people tell me I shoot very straight. I take that as a nice way to say I need to learn the game better haha. I'll definitely take a look at these recommendations, and the instructional video.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
I have both bolumes of the Willie Jopling 1pkt dvd in one box. He combined them later and sold the duo for about 80 or 90 dollars (forgot which). I have the dual edition and I let it go for $49.95. It is 4 hours long.

Beard

I will paypal if the OP doesn't want.

He should have first dibs.

Ken