Mkbtank Derby report/thoughts

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
My derby report:

This was my second year attending the Derby, and it was fantastic for a bunch of reasons.

1. My tournament Play: I made it to the 4th round this year (including my buy back). One round from the money. I realize this is not great by some of your standards, but since I lost in the first round last year, this was a two steps in the right direction for me.

My first loss was when I drew Nick Van Den Berg, who played on the European Mosconi cup team. Even in the loss, I am pleased with how I played. The first game went to 6-6. I left him uptable by the corner after pocketing a ball there and he back cut the spot shot, well..... Like a pro.

The second game I scratched on the break and he ran 6. I got a shot and ran a 6 back on him :). Then I double kissed a ball while clearing it from the bottom rail near his hole and he got out.

Third game was a boxing match early and it was 1-1 I think. At one point, he had 2 balls on the short rail near his hole and the 1 ball was about a 1:2 inch from the long rail on his side 1/2 way to the first diamond. He had me by my hole locked up against the 12 ball. I one rail kicked the cue off of the long rail cross to his side and brought it to rest after just touching the one into the rail and brought it to rest safely :). I was thrilled and looked up to see the Mike Massey was watching our match, and he gave me the "nice shot" head nod. You know the nod!! I think that was a major highlight for me lol. Anyway, after more boxing, I was up table and tried to play him in his corner off the stack, but scratched. He ran 8 and out. So while I lost, it was still a great match IMO.

My second loss with a guy named tiger cass sucked. It was the one match that I played poorly this week IMO, and I think that I was "popping up" out of my shots. Just made several unforced errors. Oh well. I'll fix that next year. Tiger went on to play Bernie P next and they had a serious battle, with Bernie notching the win I believe.

I also got in the one pocket mini last night (just 25 bucks!) and made it to the second round.

2. The sweating:

It cannot be overstated that if you are a serious pool fan, you MUST get to the Derby sometime. I don't think there is anywhere else in the world where you see literally every top player right there a playing each other. For example during my match the tables around me were: Efren, bustamonte, frost, Appleton, and Ike Runnels. It is just awesome! And watching all of the non pros who shoot the numbers off of the balls gambling for thousands is great too. The barking and betting is like an adrenaline circus.

3. The Socializing:

I got to meet and hang out with several of the 1p.org members and that was really a highlight. NHSteve, Miller, onepockethacker, the Ghost, Bernie P, and Col. Bill I recall. It was great meeting you all. I even got to play some 1 hole with Tom Wirth. (Thanks for taking it easy on me Tom). I still want to diagram the 4 rail kick off the bottom the the stack that you called and executed perfectly!

I was even lucky enough to be "Banking with the Beard" this morning! He kicked my ass but I did hit him with one nice 4 and out early for my only win lol.

I also matched up with a guy from my area who I've never caught and won a couple hundred, so that helps :).

Lastly, I want to say again..... GET to the DERBY!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My derby report:

This was my second year attending the Derby, and it was fantastic for a bunch of reasons.

1. My tournament Play: I made it to the 4th round this year (including my buy back). One round from the money. I realize this is not great by some of your standards, but since I lost in the first round last year, this was a two steps in the right direction for me.

My first loss was when I drew Nick Van Den Berg, who played on the European Mosconi cup team. Even in the loss, I am pleased with how I played. The first game went to 6-6. I left him uptable by the corner after pocketing a ball there and he back cut the spot shot, well..... Like a pro.

The second game I scratched on the break and he ran 6. I got a shot and ran a 6 back on him :). Then I double kissed a ball while clearing it from the bottom rail near his hole and he got out.

Third game was a boxing match early and it was 1-1 I think. At one point, he had 2 balls on the short rail near his hole and the 1 ball was about a 1:2 inch from the long rail on his side 1/2 way to the first diamond. He had me by my hole locked up against the 12 ball. I one rail kicked the cue off of the long rail cross to his side and brought it to rest after just touching the one into the rail and brought it to rest safely :). I was thrilled and looked up to see the Mike Massey was watching our match, and he gave me the "nice shot" head nod. You know the nod!! I think that was a major highlight for me lol. Anyway, after more boxing, I was up table and tried to play him in his corner off the stack, but scratched. He ran 8 and out. So while I lost, it was still a great match IMO.

My second loss with a guy named tiger cass sucked. It was the one match that I played poorly this week IMO, and I think that I was "popping up" out of my shots. Just made several unforced errors. Oh well. I'll fix that next year. Tiger went on to play Bernie P next and they had a serious battle, with Bernie notching the win I believe.

I also got in the one pocket mini last night (just 25 bucks!) and made it to the second round.

2. The sweating:

It cannot be overstated that if you are a serious pool fan, you MUST get to the Derby sometime. I don't think there is anywhere else in the world where you see literally every top player right there a playing each other. For example during my match the tables around me were: Efren, bustamonte, frost, Appleton, and Ike Runnels. It is just awesome! And watching all of the non pros who shoot the numbers off of the balls gambling for thousands is great too. The barking and betting is like an adrenaline circus.

3. The Socializing:

I got to meet and hang out with several of the 1p.org members and that was really a highlight. NHSteve, Miller, onepockethacker, the Ghost, Bernie P, and Col. Bill I recall. It was great meeting you all. I even got to play some 1 hole with Tom Wirth. (Thanks for taking it easy on me Tom). I still want to diagram the 4 rail kick off the bottom the the stack that you( MY EDIT :TOM WIRTH) called and executed perfectly!
I was even lucky enough to be "Banking with the Beard" this morning! He kicked my ass but I did hit him with one nice 4 and out early for my only win lol.

I also matched up with a guy from my area who I've never caught and won a couple hundred, so that helps :).

Lastly, I want to say again..... GET to the DERBY!!!!!!

mitch it sounds ike you had a great time
also it sounds like your game is improving by leaps and bounds...:)
i would like to see the shot by tom when you get a chance to post it
if you are ever in my neck of the woods in fl dont forget to give me a call
larry

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
nice job mitch. ive been following all the results and it looks like your record this year is one of the best from op.org keith

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thanks vey much all. One thing I forgot. My game must be getting better because my second match was with the guy who knocked me out last year and this year I beat him 3-0 :).

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Mitch, you executed more than a few excellent shots this trip. Keep working at your game, and keep showing off that upbeat enthusiasm of yours. It is contagious! :)

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mitch, you executed more than a few excellent shots this trip. Keep working at your game, and keep showing off that upbeat enthusiasm of yours. It is contagious! :)

Tom

Thanks Very much Tom. I am very pleased that we got to hang and shoot some.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
hey mitch…
you played very well and are a great guy. i am glad we met.
wish we could have hit em around some more but there are just so many hours in a day and so many things to see and do….
:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

hey mitch…

wish we could have hit em around some more but there are just so many hours in a day and so many things to see and do….

Thanks Dustin. Back at you brother. Next year it's on. :)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
hey mitch…

HI Dustin, Thank you for introducing yourself the other day. It's nice to put a face to the names.

Tom

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
HI Dustin, Thank you for introducing yourself the other day. It's nice to put a face to the names.

Tom

Hello Tom.

Likewise. I would have liked to have had an opportunity to chat a while, but you were getting ready for a mini-tournament match and I was invested in a Bernie Pettipiece v Tiger Nall marathon....

If the Miller family vacation makes its way through FLA this summer, perhaps a slight detour might be in order and we can manage to get a half day in....:)

Dustin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hello Tom.

Likewise. I would have liked to have had an opportunity to chat a while, but you were getting ready for a mini-tournament match and I was invested in a Bernie Pettipiece v Tiger Nall marathon....

If the Miller family vacation makes its way through FLA this summer, perhaps a slight detour might be in order and we can manage to get a half day in....:)

Dustin

hey dustin im about 2 hours north of tom
maybe we can find a meeting point

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
hey dustin im about 2 hours north of tom
maybe we can find a meeting point

sounds good larry. wish you could have made it this year.....
time to start making plans and stashing cash for dcc 2015 (you too petie, sappo, and akrick.....)
:eek:

senor

Verified Member
My first loss was when I drew Nick Van Den Berg, who played on the European Mosconi cup team. Even in the loss, I am pleased with how I played. The first game went to 6-6. I left him uptable by the corner after pocketing a ball there and he back cut the spot shot, well..... Like a pro

Thanks for the report Mitch sounds like a great time. If I may offer my two cents on this situation. Leaving the cue ball where you described is not an advantage against great players, unless you think you have a good chance to corner hook your opponent. Also, you may be able to figure out if/when your opponent is weak and leave him there. However in a generic situation where you should be giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt that they will make most anything they shoot at, the safest play for me is to leave the cue ball a few inches up the long rail, taking away the angle for the cut shot and not leaving enough angle where they might shoot the cross corner. It can even make the return safety a little more difficult should they try to cross the cue ball and send the OB down table. Please don't interpret as criticism just trying to help!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thanks for the report Mitch sounds like a great time. If I may offer my two cents on this situation. Leaving the cue ball where you described is not an advantage against great players, unless you think you have a good chance to corner hook your opponent. Also, you may be able to figure out if/when your opponent is weak and leave him there. However in a generic situation where you should be giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt that they will make most anything they shoot at, the safest play for me is to leave the cue ball a few inches up the long rail, taking away the angle for the cut shot and not leaving enough angle where they might shoot the cross corner. It can even make the return safety a little more difficult should they try to cross the cue ball and send the OB down table. Please don't interpret as criticism just trying to help!

Not at all. I have much to learn. This makes great sense and I will absolutely use this advice. Thank you!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It was great to meet you Mitch. Every time I saw you it looked you were having a GREAT TIME!! I hope I caught a couple pics of you...