Practicing the "L" in One Pocket, for Cue Ball control

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I've been fairly ill as of lately, a couple of months now. Finally decided to go to the pool room, a friend of mine drove me. To my surprise, I started hitting the balls pretty damn good for a broken down 3C player. I decided to try an run the "L" in one pocket, on my first attempt, I missed the fourth ball, then I told my friend to record the second try, here it is.

This is a drill for running balls in one pocket, it encompasses many aspects of carom billiards. The player may have to go from ball to ball or 1, 2 or 3 cushions for position for the next ball in the line up.

I had only 1 faux pas, barely touching the last ball on the table, the 7 ball.
The 12 ball jumps out of the pocket because the pocket was too full!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVzqKwi5P0[/ame]

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I've been fairly ill as of lately, a couple of months now. Finally decided to go to the pool room, a friend of mine drove me. To my surprise, I started hitting the balls pretty damn good for a broken down 3C player. I decided to try an run the "L" in one pocket, on my first attempt, I missed the fourth ball, then I told my friend to record the second try, here it is.

This is a drill for running balls in one pocket, it encompasses many aspects of carom billiards. The player may have to go from ball to ball or 1, 2 or 3 cushions for position for the next ball in the line up.

I had only 1 faux pas, barely touching the last ball on the table, the 7 ball.
The 12 ball jumps out of the pocket because the pocket was too full!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVzqKwi5P0

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Nice drill, thanks.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Nice drill Mr. 3 Cushion. When practicing running balls for one pocket I prefer to use a variation of this L drill that is easier than in your video but it definitely improves a person's TICKY TACK position. I start with the ball on the spot and even if I can go straight across the table or straight down to end rail I will leave a ball or two in that area and revisit it for position purposes. Objective is still to run all 15 balls with maximum control and I also like to do it to both corner pockets and see the difficulty shooting across one's body. This variation will still show the need for getting above the balls and a person will run many times between 10 and 15 balls in their pocket but player must factor in shot selection knowing running all the balls is the objective. Take care.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Nice drill Mr. 3 Cushion. When practicing running balls for one pocket I prefer to use a variation of this L drill that is easier than in your video but it definitely improves a person's TICKY TACK position. I start with the ball on the spot and even if I can go straight across the table or straight down to end rail I will leave a ball or two in that area and revisit it for position purposes. Objective is still to run all 15 balls with maximum control and I also like to do it to both corner pockets and see the difficulty shooting across one's body. This variation will still show the need for getting above the balls and a person will run many times between 10 and 15 balls in their pocket but player must factor in shot selection knowing running all the balls is the objective. Take care.

Stedyfred; The objective of this drill is also to run ALL 15 balls, but, to run them in succession, one after another as they lie.

Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation. Could you please post a diagram or video of the setup?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

stedyfred

Verified Member
Balls are positioned in the same manner as the L drill. Please read again my earlier post. Again nice shooting and take care.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Balls are positioned in the same manner as the L drill. Please read again my earlier post. Again nice shooting and take care.

This is how I came to the conclusion about maybe you weren't running the balls in succession. "but player must factor in shot selection knowing running all the balls is the objective."

I just misunderstood your post, I guess.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

stedyfred

Verified Member
I am not running the balls in succession but rather leaving a ball or two in that area (either going across the table or down table from the spot area) and revisiting there for position purposes.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Nick Varner drill

Nick Varner drill

Nick does this drill and I learned it 10 years ago. It will definitely improve your ball running and it's also a great deal to do on a table you have an upcoming match on that you aren't familiar with. You will get the speed down faster.

You can make variations to this drill by playing shape 2 rails on every ball...and then go back through and play shape 1 rail. It makes it more challenging. Of course this is for advanced players that may have mastered it.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I did this for Power One Pocket years ago, it is a good drill which I still practice from time to time. It teaches you to get higher up on the balls instead of coming up short with no shot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAJH_08np_c[/ame]

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I think I am going to experiment with the L drill in terms of leaving the highest and the lowest ball there, and running every other ball then getting back to the low and the high ball, like how you are supposed to run the balls in 1 pocket.