neils vs scott

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
1.) Take a foul?

2.) Kick 2 rails into the back of the 11 ball?

3.) Three rail the 1 ball and leave cue ball there?

4.) Hit the 15-10 bank, send 10 to your side and place cue ball on opponents side?

5.) I'm trying

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Tough spot. I like taking an intentional by kicking 2 rails toward the 11 ball. I play this intentional alot. Kick side rail, side rail, then try to roll up under the 11 ball

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Tough spot. I like taking an intentional by kicking 2 rails toward the 11 ball. I play this intentional alot. Kick side rail, side rail, then try to roll up under the 11 ball

One of my choices! yay
This is why I thought that...the angle for a kick to get an intentional is a bit diagonal,
so you might end up hitting into the back of the 11 anyway.

If it is first game then you can do this, without worrying about ball count or opponent getting in the groove yet or anything else you have to pay attention to before deciding to play offense or defense.

I first thought to just take an intentional without trying to hit the 11,
but you may as well try to go 2 rails to hit the 11 because even if you fouled, it might be OK at this point.

*Seems intentionals come up sometimes after the break.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd like to survive another inning, so I think I might take a scratch here. One simple way would be to nudge between the 4 and 7 balls like this:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-01-09_07-51-35.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-01-09_07-51-35.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 1

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It also looks like there is a lane to kick one rail the long way -- but you would have to be pretty accurate... But on the plus side, you have plenty of room to cue the cue ball and no english is needed. If you ended up not close to the bottom rail you could leave either a bank or carom bank on the 10 ball though, so speed has to be pretty good.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-01-09_07-59-18.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-01-09_07-59-18.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I'd like to survive another inning, so I think I might take a scratch here. One simple way would be to nudge between the 4 and 7 balls like this:

O ok nice I see. (referring to the nudge on the 4-7)

It is like doing the 2 rail kick intentional into the 11, but it is more safe and higher percentage to execute this intentional.

Also because cue ball stays where it is in one pocket, then opponent must shoot from there! lol

(referring to the one rail intentional)...nice ;) I think the 4-7 is better, what do you think?

*p.s. is a scratch/foul/intentional, same meaning write. Silly semantics! lol jk

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I'm always looking aggressively, what about banking the 13 to your hole (hit as full as you can with a lot of right and slightly above center), cue ball goes slightly off the 2 ball and drift over to the side rail near the ball on their side (14). If I get lucky the 2 bumps the 10 and the 10 covers up (protects) the 13

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Im not sure my 2 rail intentional at the 11 ball is there or not. Its close. If the 7 ball banks into my hole, I might bank it with top right and try to come back down table past the 14 ball with the cueball. Maybe he can combo bank the 15 ball into the 10 ball and get the cue ball safe. All 3 of my shots are so close to whether they are executable or not. I would have to be at the table to look at all 3 of my options better.
P.S. This is a great WWYD Larry..

Last edited:

pocket.speed

I think I would probably go into the left hand side of the three ball and leave the cue between the first and second diamond (from the top) on the head rail. This would reposition the balls on my side, and I don't see much he would be able to shoot at his hole without being pretty aggressive.

Disclaimer: That's what I would do (and I'm terrible), probably not what a pro would choose, and probably not the best shot. :confused:

mosconiac

Verified Member
I generally dislike hiding on the "wrong side" of the balls, but I would like to hear the experts opinion on doing this.

It's simple, it's easy to execute, it gives your opponent a chance to do something silly, leaves your opponent in a potentially awkward cueing position, positions a ball to be banked to your pocket later, & it doesn't give up any offensive shots.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I generally dislike hiding on the "wrong side" of the balls, but I would like to hear the experts opinion on doing this.

It's simple, it's easy to execute, it gives your opponent a chance to do something silly, leaves your opponent in a potentially awkward cueing position, positions a ball to be banked to your pocket later, & it doesn't give up any offensive shots.

I like that. His reply will likely separate the 3 and 8 but not clean both out, which is also somewhat helpful.

I don't think the 15-10 is on, but if it is, I might shoot that and try to leave the CB between the 2 and 5, next to the 13 (a bit risky).

If the 15-10 isn't on, I'd also look at hitting the 15 firmly to the footrail just short of the 11 to clear out the 11 and leave the CB in that same area between the 2 and 5.

These are both risky because you could bump the blockers a little too hard and sell out the game. So I'd have to be at the table to make my final decision. If I chicken out, then I'm playing your shot on the 1-ball.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Here are the problems with that shot. If you freeze him in the crotch of the 3 and 8 what do you do if he thins off the 3 ball having the cue ball hit the side and come to rest close to where you shot from last time. If you leave a gap between the cue ball and 3 and 8 balls then he can knock the 8 ball away and freeze you on the 3 ball. Like you already said you dont want to hide on the wrong side of the stack when to do so you have to move one of the balls that go in your pocket down table. I think one of the intentional scratches in the long run will work better for you in this predicament

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Looks good to me. He can come off the 3, but he also may make a mistake, giving you a better escape next time

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Looks good to me. He can come off the 3, but he also may make a mistake, giving you a better escape next time

I agree that he can come off the 3 and try to return you to where you started.

But there are risks for him, too: sell a bank on the 7 (either at your hole, or att the 11); sell a bank on the 10; leave an easy clear on the 11 (probably letting you clear the 14 in the process). Less likely, but he could even leave a bank on the 3 that let's you shoot at pocket speed and put the CB uptable.

All things considered, in the second time around, you should be no worse off and probably better off than the initial position.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I agree that he can come off the 3 and try to return you to where you started.

But there are risks for him, too: sell a bank on the 7 (either at your hole, or att the 11); sell a bank on the 10; leave an easy clear on the 11 (probably letting you clear the 14 in the process). Less likely, but he could even leave a bank on the 3 that let's you shoot at pocket speed and put the CB uptable.

All things considered, in the second time around, you should be no worse off and probably better off than the initial position.

Yep, that's my take on it also

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Yep, that's my take on it also

If you leave any gap on the 8 ball he will shoot it away and freeze you on the 3 ball. If you leave a gap on the 3 ball he shoots it into the stack and draws behind the 8 ball. You freeze him in the crotch. He takes a scratch what do you do now?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Im starting to like a variation of Steves intentional. I would nudge the 7 ball and leave him froze on top of the 5 ball. Now that I have looked at everything I think this is by FAR the best shot to escape this situation in the long run

bernie p

Verified Member
Im starting to like a variation of Steves intentional. I would nudge the 7 ball and leave him froze on top of the 5 ball. Now that I have looked at everything I think this is by FAR the best shot to escape this situation in the long run

This is a tough spot to be in, for sure.

I agree that playing on the wrong side, rolling off the 1 ball up to the 3-8 is just too passive, and will most certainly allow a player of Scott's level to leverage his advantage even more. You are in essence, just knocking a few more nails into your own coffin.

By playing Hacker's shot here, if you freeze Scott to the 5 ball, it eliminates Scott from knocking out the 15 ball and leaving you in an even worse spot buried in the stack.

Niels does not have too many options here that would'nt possibly sell out the game. Many lesser players may choose to try something desperate here, but Niels is not yet in that position.

Rob's shot allow Niels to come back to the table again, with perhaps more options to get out of the trap.....and....most important, Scott's ability to play offensively here is very limited.

Bernie.