Small Revalations - Please share yours!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Bumping this for Alex also. :). Some good tidbits for us new guys to 1p.org here. This site is awesome. Thank you guys.

Any other additions?

Mitch

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Bumping this for Alex also. :). Some good tidbits for us new guys to 1p.org here. This site is awesome. Thank you guys.

Any other additions?

Mitch

Good idea. It's good to see a trick shot champion interested in one pocket. Learning to search the archives here. Selecting a good WWYD shot and putting it up takes time. I hate to think how many hundreds of hours have been donated by Larry III, Cowboy, now Tom and several others. Doc. To put these up. I did a couple and said screw this. A pain. But it could cut your learning in half or more by researching those shots and explanations that go with them. Even when the different champions here disagree, you can see the thinking and learn from both of them and the different choices...

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
When you are giving up the table, and looking for the best way, always consider what your opponent will have available to him. Many spectacular safety plays are worth nothing, if you have not really put him in trouble.

And once in a while you will find that your best play is to shoot a ball into his pocket. The cost is about the same as taking a foul. This can be a wired combination that you can't break up, and are unwilling to leave. When you are stuck up to lose a dollar, keep looking. You might find a nickel shot.

dontscratch

Verified Member
From
Freeman va
Do not be afraid to leave your opponent a long off angle shot that will result in him getting one ball versas you getting 2 or more on a miss-a lot of low to middle players feel some sort of loss of macho if they don't take a shot that you leave them, and I have seen this result in many losses-

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Do not be afraid to leave your opponent a long off angle shot that will result in him getting one ball versas you getting 2 or more on a miss-a lot of low to middle players feel some sort of loss of macho if they don't take a shot that you leave them, and I have seen this result in many losses-

dontscratch....absolutely correct, and I'm going to emphasize what you said...

You said "don't be afraid to leave" this type of shot..not only, don't be afraid to leave them..beyond that, leave this type of shot on purpose, often - and especially dangle them out there for the MACHO sucker-fish to gulp at...:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member

You said "don't be afraid to leave" this type of shot..not only, don't be afraid to leave them..beyond that, leave this type of shot on purpose, often - and especially dangle them out there for the macho sucker-fish to gulp at...:cool:

- Ghost

And to expound on this strategery, if they start making these shots, raise the bet ! :eek:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
That sometimes a ball by your pocket but on the side rail isnt worth crap and can be more help for your opponent than you. In other words don't be afraid to knock a ball up table even if it is by your pocket if that ball could end up hurting you.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Small Revalations - Please share yours!

That it's not the end of the world to give your opponent a ball! So many times this is better than trying to clear a ball out of the pocket and losing the rock, or leaving your opponent the chance for multiple balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I was doing my 30 minutes of practice of my Break and one of my friends said, "When you do have a good Break, why don't you take the first shot as if you were the incoming player?" So, now I include that in my Break practice.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

You said "don't be afraid to leave" this type of shot..not only, don't be afraid to leave them..beyond that, leave this type of shot on purpose, often - and especially dangle them out there for the MACHO sucker-fish to gulp at...:cool:

- Ghost

And to expound on this strategery, if they start making these shots, raise the bet ! :eek:

Good addition senor...:heh

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
<snip>

Also never take a shot that is outside of your wheelhouse... unless the entire game depends upon it... then pray to the pool gods, see the ball going in, put the universe in control and play the shot to the best of your ability... sometimes you will amaze even yourself, and if you miss, what the hell, it was beyond your ability anyway...

B
Yes, when your situation is dire, by whatever combination of score and the lie of the balls, if you see a shot that if you make it you could turn the game around, that is a good time to be aggressive. Yeah, you might lose, but the game is nearly lost anyway.

I won one last night where I played a combination with about a foot between the balls -- these are shots I generally avoid, because I suck at them. But I was behind something like needing 12 to their 6 due to a few back scratches. They left me doubled up and trapped, so what the hell, and it went and eventually I did win that game. :D