Photos from pool tournaments in the 1980s

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I'm sure that many long-time members of this forum are familiar with my photo hosting Website containing several hundred images of pool tournaments in the 1980s. The site (Smugmug.com) was recently "remodeled" and I had to spend a few days getting the images reorganized. I like the new design of the site and maybe you will as well. It occurred to me that newer members of this forum may not be aware of the photos that Mike Haines and I took all those years ago, so here's a link to the galleries: http://billporter.smugmug.com/

If you recognize anyone in the photos who has not been named in the caption or the comments, leave a comment letting us know who they are. Unfortunately, with Smugmug's new format, you must login to leave a comment. To login, you must have either a Smugmug account (free) or login with a Facebook account.

Thanks for looking!:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I only recognize Earl, Louie and Ceasar Morales. :)
Rod.

Sitting behind Earl's right shoulder is Ricky Gracyk. Probably one of the best young players ever to come out of this area. I played him 9-Ball for 10-12 hours when he was 16 yrs. old and we broke even. He got much better in the next year or two. I didn't.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm sure that many long-time members of this forum are familiar with my photo hosting Website containing several hundred images of pool tournaments in the 1980s. The site (Smugmug.com) was recently "remodeled" and I had to spend a few days getting the images reorganized. I like the new design of the site and maybe you will as well. It occurred to me that newer members of this forum may not be aware of the photos that Mike Haines and I took all those years ago, so here's a link to the galleries: http://billporter.smugmug.com/

If you recognize anyone in the photos who has not been named in the caption or the comments, leave a comment letting us know who they are. Unfortunately, with Smugmug's new format, you must login to leave a comment. To login, you must have either a Smugmug account (free) or login with a Facebook account.

Bill, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you and Mike Haines again for sharing these so generously with the pool community! For those who are unfamiliar, do yourself a favor and visit Bill's site -- you are guaranteed to enjoy browsing. These photos are from I'm guessing about 15 or 20 or so different tournaments -- several of them in Texas, but ranging elsewhere to places like the Clyde Childress events and Colorado. Really a lot of fun to browse whether you were around and playing at that time yourself or just want to see some of today's legends when they were much younger or, some of the long deceased legends of the game who were still around back in the 80's. Enjoy, and thank you again, Bill and Mike!!!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I'm not sure but the guy over Earl's left shoulder looks like a guy named Grover or Mud Ball. He like rick is from Michigan.

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
I enjoyed the photos from the past. So many players not with us anymore. My friend Sammy Jones from the past always had a good looking girl around. I will go over and over looking at these. Thank you so much.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not sure but the guy over Earl's left shoulder looks like a guy named Grover or Mud Ball. He like rick is from Michigan.

Yep, I just checked and saw that a guest had left the following comment under the photo. Maybe you didn't see it.

"The man directly behind the water pitcher is Grover Baker from Detroit. He was on the road with the young Detroit phenom by the name of Ricky Graczyk who can be seen directly over Earls left shoulder."

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bill
I'm not a Facebook member. I wasn't able to post on your site.

Red's tourney picture #152
The gentleman on the end, checkered sports coat and pinkie ring is
"Dickie Maegle" All american running back from Rice U, and All pro defensive back for the S.A. 49'ers. .
He was the ball carrier inthe 1954 Cotton Bowl when an Alabama player (Tommy Lewis) came off the bench and tackled him. He gained 265 yd's that day.
Rodney Stephens.
P.S. Tommy Lewis became more famous for the illegal tackle than Maegle did for the 265yd's in, I think 12 carries.

Last edited:

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Bill
I'm not a Facebook member. I wasn't able to post on your site.

Red's tourney picture #152
The gentleman on the end, checkered sports coat and pinkie ring is
"Dickie Maegle" All american running back from Rice U, and All pro defensive back for the S.A. 49'ers. .
He was the ball carrier inthe 1954 Cotton Bowl when an Alabama player (Tommy Lewis) came off the bench and tackled him. He gained 265 yd's that day.
Rodney Stephens.
P.S. Tommy Lewis became more famous for the illegal tackle than Maegle did for the 265yd's in, I think 12 carries.

Thanks, Rod, I'll put the information under the photo for you. :)