C. Dickson vs. R. Luat 2010 D.C.C.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I'd probably carom/billiard the 10 (?) into my pocket. Check with me again when they quit rolling, but I would expect to end up with a shot at the pink stripe. A better shooter than me would probably run out from there.

bstroud

Verified Member
I would shoot the stripe into the far corner pocket and put the cue ball on the end rail.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They're so many shots here it's hard to pick one, I certainly wouldn't play safe and leave the opportunity to clean up my pocket. :frus
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bank the 1ball play mostly cue ball across table using the strope as a cover ball. Looks to be the only reasnable shot from this position. Dr. Bill

bernie p

Verified Member
Yes, it is the hill hill game, and yes I (Luat) am down 6-4 but obviously I'm still in a position of strength.

Given that, I would thin the green 6 ball (between the red stripe 11 ball and the side rail) leaving whitey as close to the end rail as possible approx 3/4 of diamond away from my upper corner pocket.

From here, the 10 ball closest to my hole may be brought into play (even closer to my pocket) and the 11 ball should provide cover to prevent Cole clearing my balls out via the back rail.

The whitey on the end rail in this position also makes it very dangerous for Cole to consider shooting the stripe in the middle of the table, given the pending scratch angle in his side pocket.

Executed well, this may only leave Cole with a " hope to get lucky fram" clear out.:eek:

Thanks.

Bernie.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bank the 1ball play mostly cue ball across table using the stripe as a cover ball. Looks to be the only reasonable shot from this position. Dr. Bill

That was one I liked although it's not the 1 ball. My first choice was the shot Bernie picked but though the CB had to go closer to the opposite side. After looking at his description I like his position of the CB.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yes, it is the hill hill game, and yes I (Luat) am down 6-4 but obviously I'm still in a position of strength.

Given that, I would thin the green 6 ball (between the red stripe 11 ball and the side rail) leaving whitey as close to the end rail as possible approx 3/4 of diamond away from my upper corner pocket.

From here, the 10 ball closest to my hole may be brought into play (even closer to my pocket) and the 11 ball should provide cover to prevent Cole clearing my balls out via the back rail.

The whitey on the end rail in this position also makes it very dangerous for Cole to consider shooting the stripe in the middle of the table, given the pending scratch angle in his side pocket.

Executed well, this may only leave Cole with a " hope to get lucky fram" clear out.:eek:

Thanks.

Bernie.

like this?
cole1.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
Bernie,

Congrats on beating Earl.

I was watching as I was playing Chris.

One of the highlights of the tournament.

Great shot on the last ball.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This shot but hit whitie hard enough and with enough LH English to go off the end rail and possibly LH side rail and get straight in on the stripe in the middle of the table.

Yep, and its a Big ball comin' from that angle. What I dislike about just runnin' it down table same side, you could create a simple removal shot for your opponent of at least two balls if not all of em.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I like banking the upper left striped ball on Coles side one rail and open the cluster.

I like this too. I would try to do something like this myself. If you don't move that stripe from cole's side there are too many offensive opportunities for Cole.

Attachments

• luat1.jpg
    luat1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It looks like the two balls closest to the pocket are close to a combo for Luat. If he was confident that they go then the only question would be what position he could get -- probably just a bank next.

Banking the distant stripe that others have mentioned is very likable too -- hopefully to open up those balls and double up the cue ball.

Another possibility if the combo is not quite available due to the 6-ball cutting off the cue ball's access, he might be able to softly follow through the six ball and leave those two balls and the cue ball bunched up together and lined up along the bottom of the rail. Not using the carom angle here, but instead softly following through the 6-ball. Trying to show that below. If he can do that, Cole should have to give Luat a ball

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-07-25_07-18-24.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-07-25_07-18-24.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

tylerdurden

Verified Member
It looks like the two balls closest to the pocket are close to a combo for Luat. If he was confident that they go then the only question would be what position he could get -- probably just a bank next.

Banking the distant stripe that others have mentioned is very likable too -- hopefully to open up those balls and double up the cue ball.

Another possibility if the combo is not quite available due to the 6-ball cutting off the cue ball's access, he might be able to softly follow through the six ball and leave those two balls and the cue ball bunched up together and lined up along the bottom of the rail. Not using the carom angle here, but instead softly following through the 6-ball. Trying to show that below. If he can do that, Cole should have to give Luat a ball

Oh man, you are right. Now that you mention that, I think he will shoot that 3 ball combo, the 6 to 9 to 10. I think he will go all out for it. That combo really isn't that hard to make at all. He'll go all out and have either the 6, 9 or 11 when he makes it. I would not expect to see him miss that at all. Sorry if this was already somebody's shot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
No Cookies For You

No Cookies For You

Nobody except Stroud wants to play a simple safety? And he wants to shoot the stripe (15 maybe) in the upper corner as if it's a hanger? No cookies for you:frus:sorry:D.

Luat just rolled into the 15 and left the cueball on the headrail. I didn't think, watching the DVD, that this angle presented but it obviously did. I guess even overheads lie to us:eek:.

luat's shot1.jpg

luat's leave2.jpg

luat's leave1.jpg

bernie p

Verified Member
Nobody except Stroud wants to play a simple safety? And he wants to shoot the stripe (15 maybe) in the upper corner as if it's a hanger? No cookies for you:frus:sorry:D.

Luat just rolled into the 15 and left the cueball on the headrail. I didn't think, watching the DVD, that this angle presented but it obviously did. I guess even overheads lie to us:eek:.

View attachment 8645

View attachment 8646

View attachment 8647

Dennis,

It would be interesting to continue the WWYD from this position.

I believe Luat gave up some strength by not bringing the 10 ball into play here, given that the three ball combo is not exactly dead.

Bernie.

bernie p

Verified Member
Bernie,

Congrats on beating Earl.

I was watching as I was playing Chris.

One of the highlights of the tournament.

Great shot on the last ball.

Bill S.

Bill,

I appreciate the comment.

Earl was.....shall we say.....just....being Earl.:frus

And yes, it did make my day also...:lol

Thanks.

Bernie.

bstroud

Verified Member
I think he did the correct thing to get the cue ball on the end rail.

How he did it is personal choice.

Looks like he was trying to hide the cue ball.

A good shot overall.

Cole has a possible out by going rail first and making a ball for Luat.

He can also cut the stripe and put the cue ball on the end rail but I think Luat should win the game from here.

Unless Cole makes some great shot.

I have played him a lot and he often does that.

Bill S.