Ronnie Allen Has Passed Away

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Great story about Ronnie. Ronnie shares his carney background with Grady and Artie. This seems a disproportionate distribution of statistics beyond coincidence. My first employer was a retired carney and he had a very unique philosophy of life. I'm sure he would have been good at oone pocket if he had wanted to be.

JAM

Verified Member
That is so true, Petie. I think the carnivals may have been quite popular back in the day, more so than now. I still see them occasionally, but not as much as a long time ago.

Keith seems to recall Ronnie winning a major one-pocket tournament in Vegas or Reno. He can't remember. He said it came down to Ronnie and Grady in the finals. Does anybody remember this, a date or the name of the tourmament?

Ronnie was behind a little bit, but then it came down to hill-hill. Ronnie fought back and won. Keith said it was a really fun pool tournament.

Looking for a date, name, and place, if anybody can remember, Ronnie v. Grady in the finals. :confused:

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Oh, man, that would be so cool to find. I have some P&B mags. I will pore through them and see if I can locate it. That would be, I'm sure, a gold mine, chockful of Ronnie data for the article. Thanks for mentioning it.

I am going to be working on it today. I'm taking the day off from work today and will beef up Ronnie's article.

I used to really enjoy creating these Wiki articles for the "American Pool Player" category. I've created a couple dozen American pool player articles to date. I was very active doing this a few years ago. At the time, they only had a couple dozen American Pool Player articles on Wikipedia. Now we have 70 American Pool Player articles. The one I did on Cisero Murphy made the front page of Wikipedia, which is quite an honor in the Wiki World, on its third day of being published.

Several of them, i.e., Wade Crane, I only wish I could have done it while they were still alive, so the players themselves could enjoy it reading it.

I'm a junior Wiki editor. The biggest problem I have with Wikipedia is their punctuation of double quotes. Many editors follow the British style, and I like the American style. The British editors edit the American punctuation in articles to their liking, and the Americans edit the British punctuation to the American punctuation style. Meanwhile, nobody else probably even notices the punctuation like we Wiki editors do. :D

Here's the link: Ronnie "Fast Eddie" Allen Wikipedia Article.

Jam,

I went through my pool mags today and found the article. It wasn't by Tom Shaw in Pool and Billiards but by David McCumber in the July 1998 edition of Billiards Digest page 144-152. I'm sorry for my mistake.
Also in the March 1999 ed. of Billiards Digest, there's an article on Johnston City tournaments that has a chart of the winners on page 50 that lists Ronnie as a winner for 1p.

Again I'm sorry to have wasted you time looking for an article in the wrong mag.

JAM

Verified Member
Jam,

I went through my pool mags today and found the article. It wasn't by Tom Shaw in Pool and Billiards but by David McCumber in the July 1998 edition of Billiards Digest page 144-152. I'm sorry for my mistake.
Also in the March 1999 ed. of Billiards Digest, there's an article on Johnston City tournaments that has a chart of the winners on page 50 that lists Ronnie as a winner for 1p.

Again I'm sorry to have wasted you time looking for an article in the wrong mag.

Oh, thanks so much for that info. That is extremely helpful. I appreciate your sharing that.

JAM

Verified Member
Does anybody know why Ronnie Allen's father was "killed"? I have read this in several news items from the past.

If you don't want to write in the thread, please PM me. Thanks.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Fattys dad was a merchant marine and twice took fats overseas with em on a ship when he was around ten years old. Ea trip length was probably total 3 months. Carnival, wow!!! My next door neighbor is a professional clown, musician, entertainer, dancer and actor. He's great hangin out with, kinda like being in a good pool room with some characters.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Does anybody know why Ronnie Allen's father was "killed"? I have read this in several news items from the past.

If you don't want to write in the thread, please PM me. Thanks.

In the famous RA road stories, there is one he called the best day and worst day. It was when he went to the track after winning big on pool games. He was with a crowd of gamblers and he decided to book the bets. A thirty to one horse won and RA lost all the winnings and a lot more. Well anyway, at the beginning of that story, he mentioned the fact that his dad got killed in a car wreck...

JAM

Verified Member
In the famous RA road stories, there is one he called the best day and worst day. It was when he went to the track after winning big on pool games. He was with a crowd of gamblers and he decided to book the bets. A thirty to one horse won and RA lost all the winnings and a lot more. Well anyway, at the beginning of that story, he mentioned the fact that his dad got killed in a car wreck...

Thanks again, Jimmy, for the info. Now it makes more sense to me. Much appreciated! :)

JAM

Verified Member
Bravo to Billiards Digest! Thank you to Billiards Digest for remembering Ronnie Allen!

Here's their article on the front page of the website, Headstring News:

During pool's golden era for hustlers in the 1960s and '70s, passed away on February 6. The one-pocket legend was 73 years old.

For much of the prime of his career, Allen was considered the best one-pocket player on the planet. His major titles include Cochran's One-Pocket event in 1962, the one-pocket division at the 1970 Johnston City jamboree and Red's Open One-Pocket in 1984. He also won the 1966 All-Around Championship at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

Perhaps the most well-known anecdote concerning his one-pocket prowess, Allen is said to have taken the microphone at one of the Johnston City events in the early '70s and offered to play anyone, spotting them a 10-8 handicap.

Allen was inducted into the One-Pocket Hall of Fame in 2004.

Gosh, do we have Ronnie's birth date wrong. BD has him as 73 years old at the time of his death.

I have another tournament, though, to add to his Wiki page, thanks to Billiards Digest: 1966 All-Around Championship at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

Check out the Billiards Digest article: Ronnie Allen, 73, Passes Away

Photo courtesy of Billiards Digest. Allen accepts his trophy after winning a Stardust 9-ball event in the 1960s.

Attachments

• AllenL.jpg
    AllenL.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Bravo to Billiards Digest! Thank you to Billiards Digest for remembering Ronnie Allen!

During pool's golden era for hustlers in the 1960s and '70s, passed away on February 6. The one-pocket legend was 73 years old.

For much of the prime of his career, Allen was considered the best one-pocket player on the planet. His major titles include Cochran's One-Pocket event in 1962, the one-pocket division at the 1970 Johnston City jamboree and Red's Open One-Pocket in 1984. He also won the 1966 All-Around Championship at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

Perhaps the most well-known anecdote concerning his one-pocket prowess, Allen is said to have taken the microphone at one of the Johnston City events in the early '70s and offered to play anyone, spotting them a 10-8 handicap.

Gosh, do we have Ronnie's birth date wrong. BD has him as 73 years old at the time of his death.

I have another tournament, though, to add to his Wiki page, thanks to Billiards Digest: 1966 All-Around Championship at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

Photo courtesy of Billiards Digest. Allen accepts his trophy after winning a Stardust 9-ball event in the 1960s.

Thanks for the link Jen..I would assume the apparent 'mystery' as to his exact age, will come out in his final obituary...All I remember is, we have both agreed, (all these years)..that he was 4 years my junior, which would make him 74, (I guess) when he passed..Not that it really matters !..John H. may know, for sure.

I also think it was nice of BD, to post a picture of him, as many of us, (who befriended him) prefer to remember him..There are plenty of them around !.. As opposed to the ones, that are not very flattering, when he became very obese, and riddled with health problems...He was a well dressed, decent looking guy, for most of his life, Why show him at his worst ?

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Thanks for the link Jen..I would assume the apparent 'mystery' as to his exact age, will come out in his final obituary...All I remember is, we have both agreed, (all these years)..that he was 4 years my junior, which would make him 74, (I guess) when he passed...John H. may know, for sure.

I also think it was nice of BD, to post a picture of him, as many of us, (who befriended him) prefer to remember him..There are plenty of them around !.. As opposed to the ones, that are not very flattering, when he became very obese, and riddled with health problems...He was a well dressed, decent looking guy, for most of his life, Why show him at his worst ?

I couldn't agree more. I was tickled pink to see Billiards Digest post that photo of him on their Main Page. That really was nice to see! :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

That photo is highly likely a Jansco produced publicity photo -- they were great about that. I'd be shocked it if it actually was a BD photo (which back then was the National Bowler's Journal and Billiard Revue). Still nice to see it :D

JAM

Verified Member
That photo is highly likely a Jansco produced publicity photo -- they were great about that. I'd be shocked it if it actually was a BD photo (which back then was the National Bowler's Journal and Billiard Revue). Still nice to see it :D

Well, I'd sure like to figure out how I can get the rights to insert that photo in Ronnie's Wiki article. It is really a good-looking photo. Keith said that's how he remembers Ronnie looking, when Ronnie was hitting 'em strong.

I have learned more about Ronnie after his passing than I knew about him when he was alive. Shame on me! I mean, I knew he was a pool phenom, especially in one pocket, but he really has some interesting happenings that surrounded him.

I read about a fishing trip in Mexico when Ronnie took a hiatus from pool. Keith did the same thing as Ronnie when he was about Ronnie's age, according to my records. Keith went to help Glen Campbell's ex-wife and her team train quarter horses. He loved in the ranch and was a ranch hand. Somehow I have trouble picturing this, Keith cleaning up the barns, et cetera. LOL Keith always loved the horses, and he did this for several years, met all of the top horse trainers.

Living in Los Angeles, both of them hobnobbed with movie stars, actors, producers, actresses. Ronnie Allen sure was a character. Whenever he walked into a pool room, it seemed like everybody's face would light up, wondering what was going to come out of his mouth. He was one of a kind; that's for sure. :)

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
I don't know if you're just looking for stuff where Ronnie won but I found some more stuff from looking through some old pool things.

On the Wire page 8 has Mike Massey mentioning him when asked about some pool characters he's met. Keith was mentioned also.

Hard Times Sac Jamboree 1 pocket he got 9-12th July 2003 On the Wire p25

On The Wire August 2002 4th of July HT Sac he gets 3rd in 1 pocket.

JAM

Verified Member
I don't know if you're just looking for stuff where Ronnie won but I found some more stuff from looking through some old pool things.

On the Wire page 8 has Mike Massey mentioning him when asked about some pool characters he's met. Keith was mentioned also.

Hard Times Sac Jamboree 1 pocket he got 9-12th July 2003 On the Wire p25

On The Wire August 2002 4th of July HT Sac he gets 3rd in 1 pocket.

Thank you so very much fof that bit of data. I appreciate it.

JAM

Verified Member
I contacted Pool & Billiard Magazine about Ronnie's passing, and they were not aware of it. A gentleman named "Harold" replied to my e-mail and IMMEDIATELY put a mention of it on their front page.

He said in his reply e-mail: Jennie,

Thanks for the heads-up. We have a post on poolmag.com front page and will memorialize Ronnie in our March issue.

Harold

That made my day to have a reply like that. Mike P. of Billiards Digest was also extremely nice when he found out, and he also put up an article about Ronnie immediately on the BD front page.

Check it out ---> Pool and Billiards Magazine's website.

I did not get a reply from InsidePOOL magazine when I notifed them, sad to say.

Bravo to Billiards Digest, Pool & Billiards Magazine, and OnePocket.org for taking the time to remember Ronnie Allen, a genuine legend in the pool world that we, most of us, were fortunate enough to see and get to know. :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I contacted Pool & Billiard Magazine about Ronnie's passing, and they were not aware of it. A gentleman named "Harold" replied to my e-mail and IMMEDIATELY put a mention of it on their front page.

He said in his reply e-mail: Jennie,

Thanks for the heads-up. We have a post on poolmag.com front page and will memorialize Ronnie in our March issue.

Harold

That made my day to have a reply like that. Mike P. of Billiards Digest was also extremely nice when he found out, and he also put up an article about Ronnie immediately on the BD front page.

Check it out ---> Pool and Billiards Magazine's website.

I did not get a reply from InsidePOOL magazine when I notifed them, sad to say.

Bravo to Billiards Digest, Pool & Billiards Magazine, and OnePocket.org for taking the time to remember Ronnie Allen, a genuine legend in the pool world that we, most of us, were fortunate enough to see and get to know. :)

Harold, is Harold Simonsen. He is the boss and publisher of Pool and Billiards mag.

Beard

JAM

Verified Member
Harold, is Harold Simonsen. He is the boss and publisher of Pool and Billiards mag.

Beard

Thanks, Freddy. I notice that Mike P. of Billiards Digest and Harold both are very receptive to the public. I like that!

I am disappointed with InsidePOOL's lack of acknowledgement.

I recently learned that AzBilliards only publishes news articles "provided" to them by others. I guess they don't write their own articles anymore. Steve Booth was kind enough to provide one to AzBilliards.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Went through my old mags again and found some more stuff in case you want it for your wiki section.

Billiards Digest Apr 1998 page 62, 64, 65, 66, 97 Legends of One Pocket in La. Tie 17

Billiards Digest Dec 1999 page 26 People's choice for greatest poolplayers. #53

Pool & Billiards Jan 2000 page 12 Yesteryears section Won 1p in Reds Open in Jan 1984

Pool & Billiards May 2000 page 50 name mentioned in an article on Cornbread Red

Billiards Digest Apr 2001 page 81 DCC 1p tie 10

Pool & Billiards Jan 2002 page 45 01 LA Expo and Tourney men senior am pool championships 8 ball 2nd

JAM

Verified Member
Went through my old mags again and found some more stuff in case you want it for your wiki section.

Billiards Digest Apr 1998 page 62, 64, 65, 66, 97 Legends of One Pocket in La. Tie 17

Billiards Digest Dec 1999 page 26 People's choice for greatest poolplayers. #53

Pool & Billiards Jan 2000 page 12 Yesteryears section Won 1p in Reds Open in Jan 1984

Pool & Billiards May 2000 page 50 name mentioned in an article on Cornbread Red

Billiards Digest Apr 2001 page 81 DCC 1p tie 10

Pool & Billiards Jan 2002 page 45 01 LA Expo and Tourney men senior am pool championships 8 ball 2nd

Good work! I love this. Exactly what I need. You're the best!:cool: