We lose another one- Monster John has passed

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Please let us know more about him, for those of us that didn't know him, by telling us some stories of the man.

Very sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed watching him in action at Derby City -- never saw him on his home turf. I know he and Billy I played a couple times at DCC. Also saw him play Jeanette Lee. Some photos from those matches:

This one goes back to the Executive West in 2008

This was in 2009 probably one of the times he matched up with Billy I

This from two years ago

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Very sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed watching him in action at Derby City -- never saw him on his home turf. I know he and Billy I played a couple times at DCC. Also saw him play Jeanette Lee. Some photos from those matches:

This one goes back to the Executive West in 2008

This was in 2009 probably one of the times he matched up with Billy I

This from two years ago
It saddens me to hear that one of our people has passed, especially one of our good ones. John was a Monster in stature and on the table, he was truly a gentlemen to play and his game was the opposite. He played a slow and solid game, rarely giving up a shot but knowing at all times when it was right to gamble. His style, skills, and determination and will to win made him as formidable opponent as there is. Rest In Peace John

Billy Incardona

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Rest in peace Monster John.

- Ghost

PS, Billy, Freddy, or any other old school guys who would know...who played the best/in what order, would you rank three of the top black southern one pocket players from back in their prime?:

Monster John, Strawberry, and Patcheye.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

- Ghost

PS, Billy, Freddy, or any other old school guys who would know...who played the best/in what order, would you rank three of the top black southern one pocket players from back in their prime?:

I would say that there wasn't much of a difference in the over all speed of the three players you mentioned. They were all extremely knowledgeable and very difficult to beat, they played well and very hard as was evidenced at the last DCC when an 80 year old Patcheye gave Harry Platis everything he could stand, and more.

Dr. Bill

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx

- Ghost

Billy, How would Joey Barnes match up with the names mentioned here? Just Curious..........

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
RIP Monster John.

I remember the time I walked into Hollywood Billiards and some guy asked me to play some one pocket. He had one eye that looked a little funny and I thought I'd have an easy game.

OMG what the heck did I run into. M John played several shots I still cant figure what the heck happened, except some how the ball went into his hole.

I played about as well as possible and it took John a while to get up six or seven games. I didnt know who he was until about 6 months later when I was in New Orleans. I was telling Jamie F about it and he said "You played Monster John".

I wish I could have played John some more.

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
Still sick to my stomach over this...got a text @ 5:25 AM yesterday right after it happened. MJ was much more than a backroom legend to me, he was and will always be a true friend. Nothing he did suprised me on the table, I guess because I had seen him do so much and consistantly time and time again. His drive was incredible and to coin Freddie The Beard "He tries so hard he puts fingerprints in the slate". I know his funeral is Saturday in Jacksonville...when I know more Ill share.

RIP my brother, Im sure gonna miss hearing yell out to the rail;

"OK, BIG STEVE...NOW IM GONNA SQUEEEEZE HIM"

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Still sick to my stomach over this...got a text @ 5:25 AM yesterday right after it happened. MJ was much more than a backroom legend to me, he was and will always be a true friend. Nothing he did suprised me on the table, I guess because I had seen him do so much and consistantly time and time again. His drive was incredible and to coin Freddie The Beard "He tries so hard he puts fingerprints in the slate". I know his funeral is Saturday in Jacksonville...when I know more Ill share.

RIP my brother, Im sure gonna miss hearing yell out to the rail;

"OK, BIG STEVE...NOW IM GONNA SQUEEEEZE HIM"

Very fitting tribute, from what I've seen of the man...RIP John.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
One....

One....

...look at that bridge hand and you can see why they called him Monster,via condios,Jack

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member

- Ghost

I know u asked this of Freddy and Billy ... but im gonna chime in only because I was an eye witness. Strawberry would only give Monster 8 to 7.

MonsterJohn asked for two balls but Straw did not feel especially charitable for a situation such as that(this is circa 1994).

John Brumback

Verified Member
I watched him play a few times.He was a great player.We woofed at each other a few times but never did get matched up.I think he wanted 8-7 playin banks but I only offered him 9-8.I figured I was out on the limb far enough.Hate to hear of him passing.I enjoyed watching him match up and play.
He had seen and knew every shot in the book.Stone cold killer when he was on a pool table.John B.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I know u asked this of Freddy and Billy ... but im gonna chime in only because I was an eye witness. Strawberry would only give Monster 8 to 7.

MonsterJohn asked for two balls but Straw did not feel especially charitable for a situation such as that(this is circa 1994).

No Tony, it's all good - I said for anybody to reply, who had input re. what I was asking.

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No Tony, it's all good - I said for anybody to reply, who had input re. what I was asking.

- Ghost

I didnt reply to choosing between, Strawberry, Monster J and Patch eye, because I wasnt clear on who was better than who. I never played Monster John, at least I dont think I did. He knew me pretty well, better than I knew him, so we may have played. He was in Chicago, but he played mostly on the South Side.

Played for big lines with Strawberry and 50 a game'd it many times with Patch at Bensingers. Strawberry may have had a little edge over the three, but all 3 were fierce competitors with Strawberry being a for-sure thru ticket if you could beat him. Patch was not a thru ticket. He had that Philadelphia- Allingers background.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would say that there wasn't much of a difference in the over all speed of the three players you mentioned. They were all extremely knowledgeable and very difficult to beat, they played well and very hard as was evidenced at the last DCC when an 80 year old Patcheye gave Harry Platis everything he could stand, and more.

Dr. Bill

I thought Patcheye was in his 90's. Sad about Monster John. This year has claimed more than it's share of good people.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Monster John obituary

Monster John obituary

Funeral service for Mr. John 'Monster John' Rouse, Sr. will be held Saturday, July 21, 2012 at 1:00PM in the King Solomon United Baptist Church. He is survived by his children, Ericka Rouse and John Rouse, Jr.; 6 grandchildren; 1 brother, Clarence Rouse; and a host of other relatives and many friends. Mr. Rouse will rest in the mortuary for the visitation of friends on Friday, July 20, from 5-8PM. Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery. Professional services provided by HOLMES-GLOVER-SOLOMON FUNERAL DIRECTORS, INC., 4334 Brentwood Avenue.

Published in the Florida Times-Union on July 19, 2012

There is an online guest book here: Guestbook @ Jacksonville.com