Hit and Pick

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Recently I followed a pickup apparently belonging to an ex-marine and decorated with a number of slogans on decals. The only one I can recall said 'when in doubt, empty the magazine'. I wish I could remember them all - some were pretty funny. :eek:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Back in 1954 I was running the mike on a sizeable firing range at a Texas location, and 'lock and load' was a part of my standard spiel. I was advised that it had originated with the old M-1 Garand, with which one had first to draw the bolt and lock it in position and then load it. Maybe? If not that, maybe it really was a Chicago garble.

I can't go to the DCC either. Let's hope our traveling photographers return with some good stuff.
I promise to work hard at it :D I just bought a new lens too, a lightly used 85mm 1.4 Nikon -- most excellent in low light. :)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
to:wgcp...me "brodder" (who was in the service a few years before "meself") used both the M-14 and M-16 , much preferred the M-14 (even though heavier) due to the reliability factor and stopping power factor. The M-16s were great weapons "IF" you were using them in your living room (that was just vacuumed) and it was between 68-72 degrees. Otherwise "Immediate action" (term that I vaguely remember) might be required...but lets not bore these guys with our military exploits (unless you wish to talk about ANITA...little cream puff waitress who worked at Sambos restaurant outside of Ft. Campbell KY on Rt.41 now THAT was an exploit...lol). Anyhow back to "hit and the pick" (or Anita...whichever you prefer).

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Anita? are you sure her name wasn't Jodie... LOL

Anyone want to give me the hit and pick at Derby? Cheap just to pass the time... since I have never had that spot... ghost you don't count on this...

B

Don Smith

Verified Member
Proper term

Proper term

Fred

Clear this up for me, I have been away from the game for a long time. Isn't the correct usage always "one(or two or three etc) hit and the pick" I would n't know what "hit and the pick" meant.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fred

Clear this up for me, I have been away from the game for a long time. Isn't the correct usage always "one(or two or three etc) hit and the pick" I would n't know what "hit and the pick" meant.

don im no expert but "hit and the pic"= "one hit and the pic"
to me
icbw

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Is that what you agreed to before starting? You're evil Lenny and that's why I ducked you at California Billiards and Kolby's.:lol:lol:lol
I just assumed its the rule Bill, no one has told me otherwise on here how it works if the guy getting the hit and the pick makes a ball in the other guys hole. I had this happen to me playing Preacher Ronn one time, he gave me the hit and the pick or pick 2 I think and I made a ball on the break, I take the balls off the table and am ready to keep shooting and he says its his shot as I had my hit and 2 picks. :cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I just assumed its the rule Bill, no one has told me otherwise on here how it works if the guy getting the hit and the pick makes a ball in the other guys hole. I had this happen to me playing Preacher Ronn one time, he gave me the hit and the pick or pick 2 I think and I made a ball on the break, I take the balls off the table and am ready to keep shooting and he says its his shot as I had my hit and 2 picks. :cool:

Lenny,

I gave the answers to your questions long before you asked them, in post #2.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Way to go Freddy..Excellent brag, well disguised !!...Oh, I'm sorry, was that you Denise ? ...Its getting hard to tell your posts, from your 'rust belt homie's'...:sorry:....:rolleyes: ;) :p (is your part time job, on an Italian cruise ship ???) :D

Dear "one hit & the pick" Breath,

If you don't have an opinion why the f@@k are you posting in this thread?

Here's your reply about a "hit & the pick" query from a couple of years ago.

P.S. Your reply (below) is a very intelligent response...to Larry, Moe or Curly. It makes a lot of sense. "I'd rather give it up (because it's better for me) AND (I would rather receive it (because it's better for me). What a f@@king yo-yo.

P.Ps. In response to your question: No, this would only make sense to an idiot.
SJDinPHX said:
Mike,

Not having any experience at giving (or getting) the "hit and a pick", my first instinct would be, I'd rather give up the H & P, than 10 to 7. However if I were on the recieving end, I think I would prefer getting the H & P, over 10/7. Does that make sense to anyone ? JMHO

Dick

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
That's an excellent assessment of the value of 1 hit and the pick. I always felt, based off of how I fared playing that game that it was worth 10 to 7, but 8 to 6 is close as well.

Billy I.

Cardone's valuation from two years ago:
wincardona said:
I have a lot of experience receiving one hit and the pick, and also 11/7 from champion players. I believe that the two spots are comparable when it comes to this level of players. I can say without hesitation that I would certainly take 8/6 and the break over one hit and the pick.

One hit and the pick can be a tricky spot to handicapp, since a lot has to do with the conditions of the equiptment and the size of the pockets. For instance, if I was to get one hit and the pick on a table that the balls would open up nicely on, and the pockets were forgiving, then one hit and the pick would be worth close to 10/6. But if the balls didn't break well and the pockets were snug one hit and the pick would not be as strong as possibly 9/7. So conditions play a big roll in handicapping this type of a spot.

Playing on equiptment where the balls break reasonably well and the pockets are fairly tight the hit and the pick is worth about 11/7. But keep in mind this evaluation is based on my speed against champions, ansd it doesn't necessarily have to hold true to two other players that have lesser speeds.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Mr. Ghost's reply from two years ago:

One Pocket Ghost said:
Mike.........I think you analyzed it well, and I agree with your final thought = I also think that one hit and the pick is a little stronger than 10 - 7

- Ghost

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

wincardona said:
That's an excellent assessment of the value of 1 hit and the pick. I always felt, based off of how I fared playing that game that it was worth 10 to 7, but 8 to 6 is close as well.
Billy I.
Cardone's valuation from two years ago:

wincardona said:
I have a lot of experience receiving one hit and the pick, and also 11/7 from champion players. I believe that the two spots are comparable when it comes to this level of players. I can say without hesitation that I would certainly take 8/6 and the break over one hit and the pick.
One hit and the pick can be a tricky spot to handicapp, since a lot has to do with the conditions of the equiptment and the size of the pockets. For instance, if I was to get one hit and the pick on a table that the balls would open up nicely on, and the pockets were forgiving, then one hit and the pick would be worth close to 10/6. But if the balls didn't break well and the pockets were snug one hit and the pick would not be as strong as possibly 9/7. So conditions play a big roll in handicapping this type of a spot.

Playing on equipment where the balls break reasonably well and the pockets are fairly tight the hit and the pick is worth about 11/7. But keep in mind this evaluation is based on my speed against champions, ansd it doesn't necessarily have to hold true to two other players that have lesser speeds.

Nothing's worth as much as it used to be. (except gold) :D
Rod.

Last edited: