Opinions on Red circle or Measles

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Yes, the finishing is the same. I still wonder about the actual composition of the ball. Note, ferinstance, that their tournament balls are made with "Duramith Technology."

Here's the Aramith blurb:

"The Aramith Tournament set features the Duramith technology with its hi-tech engineered molecular structure enhancing drastically the longevity of the balls while minimizing signicantly table cloth wear. With a life-time that exceeds up to 8 times that of the average polyester and phenol-like resins, reaching easily up to 40 years in residential use, Aramith ball sets are the logical choice for both the trade and the player.

Duramith™ - the new benchmark

With the Duramith™ Technology, the Aramith resins entered their 4th generation. With a totally overhauled resin formulation with new hi-tech reticulation, crosslinking and curing technologies, the Aramith products now set a new benchmark in quality, durability & longevity, increasing their service life up to 50% during which: their through-hardened vitried surface and core holds their glossy look; their specications, rebound and playing consistency throughout the set is maintained all along; the cloth wear and white marks that so easily ruin the look of the table are minimized; their friction resistance minimizes burn spots as well."

With all the folks noting a difference in playing characteristics between the RC and MB, you have to wonder if some variation of the usual recipe wasn't used in making the MB.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, you may have missed my post #31 which gives the information Aramith sent me earlier (couldn't copy & past so it's summarized). The "measles" ball and the red circle ball are indeed made of different resins, although the "measles" ball, red logo ball, and the Brunswick Centennial are all of the same resin and made to the same specifications. In essence, any differences between those three balls are unintentional manufacturing variances.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
So

So

What do the Chinese have to say about their billiard ball production work? I ask only because I suspect their handicraft flows across the tables of this land in numbers equal to or in excess of those of Aramith.

Ah. We cannot indentify those maunfacturers .... though I would almost bet that if one went to a major Asian event one would find equipment meeting world specifications to a "T".

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
What do the Chinese have to say about their billiard ball production work? I ask only because I suspect their handicraft flows across the tables of this land in numbers equal to or in excess of those of Aramith.

Ah. We cannot indentify those maunfacturers .... though I would almost bet that if one went to a major Asian event one would find equipment meeting world specifications to a "T".

Could be, but to my knowledge I've never played with Chinese balls nor have I heard of any U.S. tournaments using them.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Lou, you may have missed my post #31 which gives the information Aramith sent me earlier (couldn't copy & past so it's summarized). The "measles" ball and the red circle ball are indeed made of different resins, although the "measles" ball, red logo ball, and the Brunswick Centennial are all of the same resin and made to the same specifications. In essence, any differences between those three balls are unintentional manufacturing variances.

Missed that. Thanks, Cary.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Not to my knowledge, but this is interesting. Both a 6-dot "measles" ball and a red triangle ball----for $1.12:

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/feixiangculture/product-detailRbenmqUKJarj/China-Cue-Ball.html

H-m-m-m.

ETA: I think maybe I will start toting my own cue ball around after all.

A few years back I ended up with a counterfeit MB. (When you buy one make sure it's in the original plastic clamshell packaging.) Recently Cigar Dave told me how to test to tell which was the real ball:

"The real one has a higher coefficient of restitution (CoR). I have a counterfeit one so I know. The higher the CoR, the more efficient the collision.
Do this test.
From eye-level, simultaneously drop both balls onto a smooth concrete floor. The real one will bounce ~8" higher than the counterfeit one.
And even if two cue balls weigh the same and both have the same diameter, they will play differently if they have different CoRs."

Lou Figueroa

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
A few years back I ended up with a counterfeit MB. (When you buy one make sure it's in the original plastic clamshell packaging.) Recently Cigar Dave told me how to test to tell which was the real ball:

"The real one has a higher coefficient of restitution (CoR). I have a counterfeit one so I know. The higher the CoR, the more efficient the collision.
Do this test.
From eye-level, simultaneously drop both balls onto a smooth concrete floor. The real one will bounce ~8" higher than the counterfeit one.
And even if two cue balls weigh the same and both have the same diameter, they will play differently if they have different CoRs."

Lou Figueroa

That is a significant difference and it's possible even I might notice it. It must really seem "dead" on an open break.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Do this test.

Lou Figueroa
I have two MB's and will try this test in the next couple of days. So I should drop both of them at the same time from eye level and if one bounces higher that the other then that one is the real one? Or if they both bounce the same then I have two real MB's or maybe I have two counterfeit balls.