How/Why Did Your Match End?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
We've all told stories about how we lost,won or broke even, how about telling why a match ended or how it ended. I'm certain there are as many different endings here as there are posters on this site. I'll start with my tale from lll's "beaten by list" thread:
Cowboy Dennis said:
I guess the only guy I can think of right now who beat me playing even one-pocket was Horseface Harry, the last time we played in the mid-nineties or so. We bet $50 per game and he ended up one game ahead

This match was played at the Cushion & Cue, located on the second floor of Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, Michigan. It was a sunday night which is very easy to remember since on every sunday night the room filled up with many young men who occupied every table in the joint, sometimes 4 or 5 to a table. Harry & I were playing on table 13 which was the first 9 ft. table near the counter at the top of the stairs.

I don't remember how long we had been playing but it was several hours at least of back & forth action. The tables were laid out so that there were eight 8' tables (side by side) on a level slightly above us and separated from us by a waist-high wrought iron fence. The lower level was comprised of tables laid out end-to-end. As it was laid out, table 12's head was at table 13's foot. All of the countermen always were good about giving out table 12 last when there was action on table 13. Sooner or later though the room usually filled up on a sunday night and table 12 had to be given out to someone.

After quite a while of people on table 12 bumping into us, waiting for us to shoot while we looked over the table, walking up to our sides as we were down shooting, balls jumping off the table (you all know that sound when you are down on a shot) and other things that happen in a public poolroom I finally asked Harry to let's call it a night as this crap was driving me crazy. He said O.K. and we quit with me being one game loser.

Dennis

bstroud

Verified Member
I was playing last Saturday giving 12 to 5 and the break and was playing really well. The last game of the last set I had my game ball in my pocket and the cue ball on the end rail about 12" away. We both needed one ball.

Andy was trying to remove the ball by hitting it hard. The ball came out, jumped over the cue ball and went right in his pocket.

That was the last set for that day.

Bill Stroud

RedCard

Verified Member
Ball In Hand

Ball In Hand

I was playing a guy down in Florida once and decided to execute a strong ball-moving maneuver while he was buying a drink. He rounded while the move was in progress, saw it, and that ended our session. It also gave new meaning to 'ball in hand'. The best I could come up with quick was there was a big speck of something on the ball and I felt it was my duty to clean it off.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
All my "game enders" seem to wind up at bar anymore...I am either settin' 'em up for the house, or, more often mooching all the drinks I can, while drowning my sorrows...:frus

YJ Duck <---Could be why, he will no longer play anyone,...who doesn't drink..:p (except RBL)

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Match at DCC

Match at DCC

I was my own partner playing The Ghost and Bernie at The Derby and the score was tied 3/3 going to six. We had to quit to play our tournament matches and were going to resume the next day where I was going to put the hammer down and take it off.

Poor Ghosty got sick with the flu and spent the rest of Derby week in his room.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was my own partner playing The Ghost and Bernie at The Derby and the score was tied 3/3 going to six. We had to quit to play our tournament matches and were going to resume the next day where I was going to put the hammer down and take it off.

Poor Ghosty got sick with the flu and spent the rest of Derby week in his room.

That's quite the duck there Ghosty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
That's quite the duck there Ghosty

Hi Ghosty.

Hope you are in fine, healthy form at DCC this year...I'm hoping to stake you against Alex "the Lion" for some major $$$$... Oh, no...Not at one pocket...I want to stake you at a "standing high-jump" match...If you can do it anytime, not just in the act of shooting... we got the nutz..:cool:

Boy, you would put Michael Jordan away, at that game...Just be careful not to injure yourself on the ceiling, and we'll clean up, big time...Look how Ghosty got out of the joint..And they say "white men can't jump"...:rolleyes:

View attachment 4193

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Hi Ghosty.

Hope you are in fine, healthy form at DCC this year...I'm hoping to stake you against Alex "the Lion" for some major $$$$... Oh, no...Not at one pocket...I want to stake you at a "standing high-jump" match...If you can do it anytime, not just in the act of shooting... we got the nutz..:cool:

Boy, you would put Michael Jordan away, at that game...Just be careful not to injure yourself on the ceiling, and we'll clean up, big time...Look how Ghosty got out of the joint..And they say "white men can't jump"...:rolleyes:

Hey Duckbreath, what the heck are you talkin' about? I must've missed something somewhere:confused:.

RBL