Kick at a ball behind the head string ?

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Here's a question that come up a few days ago. The guy has ball in hand behind the headstring. There are three balls stacked at the spot, and a couple more balls behind the head string. The guy wants to know if he can skip the spotted balls and kick off the foot rail at the balls in the kitchen to make a legal shot. I think the answer must be that he cannot, but I can't find it in the rules. Anybody??

For that matter, what about kicking just across the line at the long rail, using english to score a hit on a ball behind the head string? Couldn't do that, either, could you?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here's a question that come up a few days ago. The guy has ball in hand behind the headstring. There are three balls stacked at the spot, and a couple more balls behind the head string. The guy wants to know if he can skip the spotted balls and kick off the foot rail at the balls in the kitchen to make a legal shot. I think the answer must be that he cannot, but I can't find it in the rules. Anybody??

For that matter, what about kicking just across the line at the long rail, using english to score a hit on a ball behind the head string? Couldn't do that, either, could you?
I would think you could do either kick you describe as long as you go fully out of the kitchen first -- but this is the kind of question that the answer would come in pool's general rules; this is not covered in the One Pocket rules.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY

I've definitely seen it done before. I can't remember who was playing. The shooter was going to kick just ahead of the headstring and spin the ball back behind the headstring to hit the ball.

It was decided to place a piece of chalk right at the headstring so there would be no arguments that the cueball didn't cross the line. If it hit the chalk, it would be a foul.

Of course that would alter the path of the cueball, but that was what they decided.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Why not ? people kick all around table. I don't see any difference. Ghoats could probably kick it 2 rails. :)
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

As long as the cueball crosses the headstring and then makes contact with an object ball it is a good hit and no foul as long as something hits a rail after contact, just like any other shot. Both of your scenarios can be shot.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this from billiards congress of america rules
6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.

heres a link
http://home.bca-pool.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=54#fouls

a portion of section 6 is quoted above

everyone above including dennis (we will exclude vapros since he wasnt sure and asked the question) is correct:D

tylerdurden

Verified Member
What is the ruling if you shoot a ball clearly behind the headstring with ball in hand and hang it in your hole? I know its a foul, but is this a potential loss of game or anything?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What is the ruling if you shoot a ball clearly behind the headstring with ball in hand and hang it in your hole? I know its a foul, but is this a potential loss of game or anything?

6.2 Wrong Ball First
In those games which require the first object ball struck to be a particular ball or one of a group of balls, it is a foul for the cue ball to first contact any other ball.

its a foul you owe a ball you dont lose the game
im not sure of the following
play would continue from where the cue ball ends up ???
the object ball which didnt go in i assume would stay where it ended up too???

or would the object ball be restored to its prior position
opponent gets cue ball in hand behind head string and you owe/spot a ball???

what do you guys think is the ruling

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

It's not a foul or anything else, you cannot do that. The ruling if a guy does that to me is I pick up the ball, put it back behind the line, hand him the cueball and tell him to shoot again. If he does it again I go home.

P.S. It's never happened to me or in any game I've seen.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It's not a foul or anything else, you cannot do that. The ruling if a guy does that to me is I pick up the ball, put it back behind the line, hand him the cueball and tell him to shoot again. If he does it again I go home.

P.S. It's never happened to me or in any game I've seen.

Dennis

I'm picking the OB up and replacing it where it was and telling him he owes one and it's my shot. If miscuing on the break is a foul, this is definitely a foul.
Rod.
P.S. I've never seen it either. What was his opponent looking at ?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm picking the OB up and replacing it where it was and telling him he owes one and it's my shot. If miscuing on the break is a foul, this is definitely a foul.
Rod.

Your response is a good one, my response would be the same as yours with one difference. I would think that it would be viewed the same as a moved ball by your opponent. If your opponent inadvertently moves a ball his opponent would then have the option to leave it in the position where it was moved too, or place it back as closely to the position it was moved from. But yes in either case it would be a foul and loss of a ball.

Billy I.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Rod.

Thanks for the responses.

I like Billy's solution a lot.

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct

Penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct

Post #11 speaks about shooting at your hole when both OB and CB are behind the line...

Post # 10 quotes a rule that says that hitting such an OB (behind the line) intentionally is unsportmanslike conduct.

What is the penalty for unsportmanship conduct? Loss of game?