Joyner/frost Mobile

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
thats what cliff did
the 8 grazed the 6 as it came back towards the pocket and actually hit the long rail alittle above the pocket to end up where it did near the pocket
View attachment 3633
When I look at the near overlapping paths of the 8-ball and the cue ball on the three-railer, it reinforces to me the hazards of that shot -- it sure looks like a potential kiss. Cliff hit it about as perfect as it could be hit, though.

Personally, I like to develop "rules of thumb" for different banks, and at what angles I feel comfortable playing them -- comfortable meaning I feel pretty confident I can get the object ball fairly close toward my pocket, and I can also control the cue ball in a kiss-free manner. Apparently Cliff has this shot and that approximate cue ball shape in his tool box. I'll have to experiment for myself...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
NH Steve said:
When I look at the near overlapping paths of the 8-ball and the cue ball on the three-railer, it reinforces to me the hazards of that shot -- it sure looks like a potential kiss. Cliff hit it about as perfect as it could be hit, though.

Personally, I like to develop "rules of thumb" for different banks, and at what angles I feel comfortable playing them -- comfortable meaning I feel pretty confident I can get the object ball fairly close toward my pocket, and I can also control the cue ball in a kiss-free manner. Apparently Cliff has this shot and that approximate cue ball shape in his tool box. I'll have to experiment for myself...
steve
the cue had alot of left hand english as it came off the long rail(1st rail)
it really turned and jumped off the rail
dont know if that helped beat the kiss but it got the cue going towards the opposite corner

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
just to wrap this game up shot wise and let the discussions continue
a few innings later cliff left scott like this
watching it again i think it is the right shot
although im not sure i would have made the 6 from close/on the end rail:rolleyes: :D

jf9.jpg

scott then ran out the rest of the balls he needed.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
fred bentivegna said:
... I have been harping against -- with the accompanying reasoning -- for my last 3 or 4 posts. It is a common mistake, but one you would do well to put behind you.

Beard
I posted this shot as the 3rd post in this thread. It was a guess as to what Cliff would do. After that Larry asked me for details. By the time I posted the details it was a lot later in the day and you had posted your "harping against" but I was answering Larry's direct question. It's not like I'm still holding out that this was the right shot. I never thought it was--I just though Cliff might go for it.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
lll said:
just to wrap this game up shot wise and let the discussions continue
a few innings later cliff left scott like this
watching it again i think it is the right shot
although im not sure i would have made the 6 from close/on the end rail:rolleyes: :D

View attachment 3635

scott then ran out the rest of the balls he needed.

Most of these frozen-to-a-ball shots are either on or not on. You can help them a little with draw or, in some cases, follow; but I can tell by the path of the cue ball (assuming it is diagrammed correctly) Scott used neither draw nor follow. This shot was on and at that point it's a hanger. Your grandmother could make it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
petie said:
I don't know--the solid to the right and north of the cue ball is good for a straight back if you're Cliff. .
petie i asked for clarification to be sure i knew which ball and which bank you were picking. a straight back and a 3 railer arent the same bank to me:D
just sayin:)
your instincts were right tho. cliff was going to shoot if he could:)

you cant tell from the diagram but the 6 wasnt froze
scott CUT that ball in
and split the wicket too i might add:eek:

bstroud

Verified Member
Anyone can see it was a bad shot choice. He gave up all the leverage he had with the 2 balls near his pocket and a chance to hide the cue ball.

Bill Stroud

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Always remember...

Always remember...

petie said:
I posted this shot as the 3rd post in this thread. It was a guess as to what Cliff would do. After that Larry asked me for details. By the time I posted the details it was a lot later in the day and you had posted your "harping against" but I was answering Larry's direct question. It's not like I'm still holding out that this was the right shot. I never thought it was--I just though Cliff might go for it.

...that even the top players have brain cramps and get impatient when they are under pressure. They worry that their relatively passive, patient move might not be strong enough. That comes from not having strong enough convictions. The way I look at it is, F--- it, if they beat me, with me doing what I believe to be right, god bless 'em. The only thing that I can control is what I do.

Beard

As was proven out, Cliff's risky shot, turning out as well as it possibly could, didnt do him any good.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
fred bentivegna said:
...that even the top players have brain cramps and get impatient when they are under pressure. They worry that their relatively passive, patient move might not be strong enough. That comes from not having strong enough convictions. The way I look at it is, F--- it, if they beat me, with me doing what I believe to be right, god bless 'em. The only thing that I can control is what I do.

Beard

As was proven out, Cliff's risky shot, turning out as well as it possibly could, didnt do him any good.

Thanks, Fred. I must tell you, you are VERY helpful to me with your insights and the reasoning behind them. I thrive on these "what would you do from here" scenarios. I'd trade all the good 'ol boy BS and political stuff for just a couple of these a week.

Recently I was off my feet for 8 weeks or so following surgery on my ankle. I studiously participated in this board and watched 1P matches on line during that time. This may sound absurd, but I swear I picked up a ball or two in my game while not shooting a shot. I learned something from almost each and every one of you guys. I do miss Artie.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
NH Steve said:

When I suggested that I might try this shot I wrote that only if I could follow around the 14 ball, meaning to the right of it. That would be to insure that the kiss was not there. The way he moved the cue ball would have been too risky for me.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Good to hear.

Good to hear.

petie said:
Thanks, Fred. I must tell you, you are VERY helpful to me with your insights and the reasoning behind them. I thrive on these "what would you do from here" scenarios. I'd trade all the good 'ol boy BS and political stuff for just a couple of these a week.

Recently I was off my feet for 8 weeks or so following surgery on my ankle. I studiously participated in this board and watched 1P matches on line during that time. This may sound absurd, but I swear I picked up a ball or two in my game while not shooting a shot. I learned something from almost each and every one of you guys. I do miss Artie.

It is human nature to feel appreciated, so thanks. But, it's like I have always been saying, midwestern liberals are much better people than their cousins in Northern CooCoofornia. :) Just kidding. Just kidding.;)

Beard

You have motivated me enough to continue on, Petie. Thanks again.

t-dog

Verified Member
lll said:
thats what cliff did
the 8 grazed the 6 as it came back towards the pocket and actually hit the long rail alittle above the pocket to end up where it did near the pocket
View attachment 3633

Wheres my cookie, jk.

I wasnt saying what the best shot was, just what I thought Cliff might shoot....... lol

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
t-dog said:
3 rail the 7 and follow off the rail to opposite corner.
dont get too much of a sugar rush from the cookies :eek:
listen to Freddie:) and bill stroud:)
the shot was probably not the best option:(

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
dont get too much of a sugar rush from the cookies
listen to Freddie:) and bill stroud:)
the shot was probably not the best option:(

Yeah, Well opinions are like A$$holes, everybody's got one, most of them Stink. :) The two above couldn't ever carry Cliffs cue. ;) I believe everyone has a right to their opinion and theirs maybe better, but maybe not.
Results are 100%, foreskin is a little less.
Rod.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
cliff lost
thats the result
still think it was the "right shot"??:confused:
your shot was a better selection:) imho

I think he's perfectly capable of picking shots with anyone here.
You're also playing results Larry. :)
Rod.
PS. you're results are 100%

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Larry and Rod..It's already been proven that statistical % are wrong 54% of the time :p