Johnston City 50 years

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
????????

????????

Whats a polo in this context?Forgive me for being slower than molasses in January........cheers,James

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
????????

????????

Whats a polo in this context?Forgive me for being slower than molasses in January........cheers,James

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Polo shirt. it is a style of pull over shirts, usually with a collar.

Here is one that One Pocket.org sells.

Attachments

• BlackPolo.jpg
    BlackPolo.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I.....

I.....

....remember now,real popular in the 60's.Polyester I think.Real cheap at the PX,thanks,B

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Polo's are 100% Cotton... at least the ones I wear.

PX= Post Exchange (military convenience store)

usblues said:
....remember now,real popular in the 60's.Polyester I think.Real cheap at the PX,thanks,B

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The OnePocket.org polos are 100% cotton. I just had a couple of long-sleeved ones made for John Brumback -- hopefully they are as nice a fit as the short-sleeved.

As for the 50th polos, JoAnn had a very few made, as in maybe one for me and a couple for her and her husband. Next time I talk to them I can see if they want to make some more, there might be people interested...

I do have a large color poster available -- a collage of Johnston City photos and memorabilia. They are 22" x 28" and include a lot of rare images. They are a limited run of 250 and numbered. $40 with the money split between OnePocket.org and JoAnn Jansco, who provided the images.

Attachments

• JC-50th-22x28-web.jpg
    JC-50th-22x28-web.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 0

markgriffin

Verified Member
Johnston city posters

Johnston city posters

Steve,
You might bring a couple of those to the us open one pocket to sell.

Mark griffin

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
My buddy here in town...

My buddy here in town...

My buddy here in town has probably the largest Johnson City memorbia collection anywhere. His pool room is covered with the stuff with signatures from all players. Truely, awe inspiring group. One of my favorites is the invitations with the logos, etc.

How about this, he has one of the original tables from the tournament, with the documentation to back it all up. It is the table that everyone was standing around in all of the photos.

I should just go in there one day and just take pictures of all the stuff.....He is a great guy and loves to share stories and treasures.

Ken

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ken_4fun said:
My buddy here in town has probably the largest Johnson City memorbia collection anywhere.

I should just go in there one day and just take pictures of all the stuff.....He is a great guy and loves to share stories and treasures.

Ken
how 'bout today ?? :)

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
lll said:
how 'bout today ?? :)

How about this week?

My wife is a photographer and Ill "borrow" her camera to take pictures, or have her come along!

Are there any New York Blackie fans out there? Lots of that stuff too.

Buddy Hall stuff, and lots of it. He plays there often.

Ken

cuesmith

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
The OnePocket.org polos are 100% cotton. I just had a couple of long-sleeved ones made for John Brumback -- hopefully they are as nice a fit as the short-sleeved.

As for the 50th polos, JoAnn had a very few made, as in maybe one for me and a couple for her and her husband. Next time I talk to them I can see if they want to make some more, there might be people interested...

I do have a large color poster available -- a collage of Johnston City photos and memorabilia. They are 22" x 28" and include a lot of rare images. They are a limited run of 250 and numbered. $40 with the money split between OnePocket.org and JoAnn Jansco, who provided the images.
A couple of years ago JoAnn still had a bunch of the polo shirts left over from the Stardust Tournament that she was selling at the Derby. She may still have some of these. I bought one then.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Ken_4fun said:
How about this week?

My wife is a photographer and Ill "borrow" her camera to take pictures, or have her come along!

Ken

I am a Blackie fan (of sorts). Played against him many times in the 60's/70's when he was in CA on the snooker tables and even three cushion once.

He could pull some outrageous stuff, but it was hard to stay mad at him long.

Here is a Blackie story I have posted before:

Blackie was staying with a girl who was an old family friend. He had just had an operation for gallstones, I think. Anyway, she was waitressing in a local bar just outside Los Angeles and Blackie came in right after the surgery and begged me to play him some cheap to help him get back in stroke because he had to make some $$. I didn't want to play because he was a much better player when he was healthy. He kept hounding me until I played and I beat him out of around $30.

Now I was a no good S.O.B. for taking advantage of a guy right out of the hospital. I wouldn't give the $$ back, but offered to take him to a good spot and stake him. We go to this bar that had one table with a dozen quarters on the rail. You had to play for anywhere from nothing to $10 a game depending on the challenger. The bar table had the big cue ball then. Blackie gets up and runs about three racks of eight ball with the big rock, drawing it all over the table with that huge stroke of his for a few dollars a game and everybody took their quarters off the table.

No matter how bad he needed the $$, Blackie couldn't or wouldn't stall.

Blackie was a great all around player, but in those days they often had a ring game in LA with Ronny, Ritchie, Ed Kelly and any other champion who happened to be in town. Blackie couldn't stay out of those games and you know what happened there. He wasn't quite that good.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
I am a Blackie fan (of sorts). Played against him many times in the 60's/70's when he was in CA on the snooker tables and even three cushion once.

He could pull some outrageous stuff, but it was hard to stay mad at him long.

Here is a Blackie story I have posted before:

Blackie was staying with a girl who was an old family friend. He had just had an operation for gallstones, I think. Anyway, she was waitressing in a local bar just outside Los Angeles and Blackie came in right after the surgery and begged me to play him some cheap to help him get back in stroke because he had to make some $$. I didn't want to play because he was a much better player when he was healthy. He kept hounding me until I played and I beat him out of around $30.

Now I was a no good S.O.B. for taking advantage of a guy right out of the hospital. I wouldn't give the $$ back, but offered to take him to a good spot and stake him. We go to this bar that had one table with a dozen quarters on the rail. You had to play for anywhere from nothing to $10 a game depending on the challenger. The bar table had the big cue ball then. Blackie gets up and runs about three racks of eight ball with the big rock, drawing it all over the table with that huge stroke of his for a few dollars a game and everybody took their quarters off the table.

No matter how bad he needed the $$, Blackie couldn't or wouldn't stall.

Blackie was a great all around player, but in those days they often had a ring game in LA with Ronny, Ritchie, Ed Kelly and any other champion who happened to be in town. Blackie couldn't stay out of those games and you know what happened there. He wasn't quite that good.

Blackie came to San Jose one time, Looking for me, I think...I happened to be out of town, and he played even 9 ball, with my long time "homie", Chuck Bailey, who could not handle my action, even up, at any game.

Chuck emptied out, him and his backer twice. Blackie was a little over-rated, but he was a always a good guy with me.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ken_4fun said:
How about this week?

Ken
ken ive told this story before so i'll give you the short version
as a college student in new orleans 1970s i used to go to the sports palace to sweat the action. blackie was a regular.
when he fell on hard times i played him 10 -4 for cheap and still got robbed:eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Blackie came to San Jose one time, Looking for me, I think...I happened to be out of town, and he played even 9 ball, with my long time "homie", Chuck Bailey, who could not handle my action, even up, at any game.

Chuck emptied out, him and his backer twice. Blackie was a little over-rated, but he was a always a good guy with me.
Dear "I wasn't there" Breath,

Why is it that every time a player came looking for you, you weren't there? Maybe you were out delivering mail? Perhaps your UPS truck got a flat tire, no? When you went to Chi-Town you said all the guys were in the bathroom or gone. Something funny going on here. You just couldn't ever find anybody to play could you?

RBL

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:

Puckett came in Five Points Bowl in El Monte one time when Blackie was there and barked at him for quite a while, not trying to make a game, just barking and insulting him.

Must have had some history somewhere down the line cause Blackie did not say a word.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
jrhendy said:
Puckett came in Five Points Bowl in El Monte one time when Blackie was there and barked at him for quite a while, not trying to make a game, just barking and insulting him.

Must have had some history somewhere down the line cause Blackie did not say a word.
can any of you guys that were there in the day shed some light on this??