Foul Or ?

pocket1

heres the senerio I'm playing onepocket with a friend for some cheap sets and he gets down to shoot as i am turned around to sit when he walks over to a rolling cue ball on my side of the table he waits till it stops and starts to pick it up and i stop him to find out whats going on and he informed me while he was down to shoot someone bumped him and his stick pushed the cue towards my side of the table he said it was unintentional but i say it was a foul and if he picked up the cue ball it would be another foul what happens in this type of situation is it a foul or what or do we start the game over

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
pocket1 said:
heres the senerio I'm playing onepocket with a friend for some cheap sets and he gets down to shoot as i am turned around to sit when he walks over to a rolling cue ball on my side of the table he waits till it stops and starts to pick it up and i stop him to find out whats going on and he informed me while he was down to shoot someone bumped him and his stick pushed the cue towards my side of the table he said it was unintentional but i say it was a foul and if he picked up the cue ball it would be another foul what happens in this type of situation is it a foul or what or do we start the game over

First of all, you cannot foul twice on the same shot. If you insisted on a foul being called it would only be one foul.

Second, if it is truly a friend playing cheap sets you would not need to ask the question.

Third, as long as you did ask I will tell you what I think. I never take my eyes off of the table after my inning is over, that way I know what happens. It's your job & responsibility to watch the table after your inning is over, you did not do so and don't know what happened as a result. If your opponent is truly a friend you will accept his explanation and let him replace the cueball. You will also remind him that if it happens again he is not to pick up the cueball, it's up to you whether or not it will be replaced.

Do your job and watch the table when your inning is over, then you can make a decision based on what you see and not on what you are told.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
First of all, you cannot foul twice on the same shot. If you insisted on a foul being called it would only be one foul.

Second, if it is truly a friend playing cheap sets you would not need to ask the question.

Third, as long as you did ask I will tell you what I think. I never take my eyes off of the table after my inning is over, that way I know what happens. It's your job & responsibility to watch the table after your inning is over, you did not do so and don't know what happened as a result. If your opponent is truly a friend you will accept his explanation and let him replace the cueball. You will also remind him that if it happens again he is not to pick up the cueball, it's up to you whether or not it will be replaced.

Do your job and watch the table when your inning is over, then you can make a decision based on what you see and not on what you are told.

Dennis

I would say,..just tell him "tough rocks...shit happens"...charge him a ball, or two...and put the cue ball anywhere your heart desires, and its your turn, If he objects...shoot him !!! (dead)

PS..This is how I would deal with RBL or WB...anybody else, we could talk it over...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
I would say,..just tell him "tough rocks...shit happens"...charge him a ball, or two...and put the cue ball anywhere your heart desires, and its your turn, If he objects...shoot him !!! (dead)

Until this post you had Clare fooled into thinking that you were a "cute & harmless Duck". Now look at what you've done.

pocket1

Foul Or ?

well cowboy i do know how to play the game and i know you cant foul 2 times at once the question was with no concern if my back was turned or not has no bearing on the question if an unintentional foul is committed by another person other than the players playing is it a foul with a ball owed or do you pick up the cueball and put it back in the best place you think it was sitting before the foul my understanding is any cueball fouls i dont need another opinion what does the rules say or has this never before been ruled on if i was playing for fun i would have let him put the cueball back and he continue to shoot however since we were gambling was a foul committed

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
pocket1 said:
well cowboy i do know how to play the game and i know you cant foul 2 times at once the question was with no concern if my back was turned or not has no bearing on the question if an unintentional foul is committed by another person other than the players playing is it a foul with a ball owed or do you pick up the cueball and put it back in the best place you think it was sitting before the foul my understanding is any cueball fouls i dont need another opinion what does the rules say or has this never before been ruled on if i was playing for fun i would have let him put the cueball back and he continue to shoot however since we were gambling was a foul committed

With all due respect if you were playing "cheap sets" with a "friend" I'd accept his version of what happened and put the cueball back as close as possible to where it was and let him shoot. If this were a tournament situation the ref would have to figure it out. If this were a serious gambling session the 2 players would have to work it out. I do like Dennis' advice about not taking your eyes off the table.

Also if you don't need another opinion why did you bother to ask.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
pocket1 said:

Do you know how to use a "period" or a "comma" or a "question mark"? Have you ever heard of "paragraphs"? It would be nice not to have to try to decipher your posts as if an 8 year old were writing them. We already have one illiterate poster here.

The answer to your question is that your opponent fouled, unless the rolling cueball hit an object ball and one of the balls hit a rail after contact. His cue hit the cueball and he's responsible for that.

Dennis

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I mean this in the best of ways...

I mean this in the best of ways...

Since you don't want opinions, I'll give you mine. Here goes.....READY???

You can't type, and your fouling friend can't SPELL One-Pocket. Just an opinion, You probably are a great guy other than that.....

That said, the scolding you got came from a respectable Pro-Killer([sic]should go there..), and was seconded by an amateur that plays One-Hole like Burning Hell. Both of which are likely your elders(They are each 4 years younger than God), and both of which would probably spank your @$$ all day long. So don't whine about the scolding, you have 2 respectable opinions.

Here's the rest of mine : learn from your mistakes.
learn from others mistakes.
Get a word processor, cut/paste posts into it
before posting.

beatle

Verified Member
well here is my opinion. take it for what it costs.
when a player gets bumped and it is not his fault which most times isnt, he puts the cue ball back and shoots. that is the right thing to do. the same thing as if you had been the one to bump him. cheap sets or not.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Pocket 1---Welcome to the forum. There are some crusty old folks here who like to bust your chops. It's not really a good welcoming to you but I think you're on the right track by asking us what is the right thing to do. Some of these guys are probably in the sauce a bit so give them a little slack---they may give some good information when you really need it.

You can't always keep you eye on the table especially after the shot has ended. Even these old f+rts have to turn around to find their seat.

Your friend was wrong to move the move the cue ball and any other balls back to the original position without asking you. You have he right to decline in most situations but when there is outside interference---it is time for your guys to discuss.

Keep the questions coming--I think you will enjoy it here.

Tennessee Joe

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Waikiki 1975 rules or not....

Waikiki 1975 rules or not....

So I'm playing this guy for 50$ a game eight-ball and as I get down to shoot an easy shot his friend walks around behind me and hits my cue butt as I follow through.I miscue and miss the shot.So we start argueing back and forth and what I should of done was start another game cause I was a little better than him but I was drunk and said if you dont pay me were going outside.So about 15-20 guys who heard us argueing follow us out and one of us takes a swing at the other.Then like in a Laurel&Hardy movie everybody jumps on me and this guy and we start punchin each other for about a minute,then were all tired of it and it breaks up so all the guys go back upstairs to whatever they was doing and me and a girl I had met walk over to her place to get cleaned up.Never got my money but had alot of laughs over the years remembering the whole bar fighting each other over nothing in the middle of Kalakaua Ave. in the middle of the day.If theres a lesson here it might be be aware of your backside when your down shooting at the money ball in a pirate-place,cheers,Bob

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
usblues said:
So I'm playing this guy for 50$ a game eight-ball and as I get down to shoot an easy shot his friend walks around behind me and hits my cue butt as I follow through.I miscue and miss the shot.So we start argueing back and forth and what I should of done was start another game cause I was a little better than him but I was drunk and said if you dont pay me were going outside.So about 15-20 guys who heard us argueing follow us out and one of us takes a swing at the other.Then like in a Laurel&Hardy movie everybody jumps on me and this guy and we start punchin each other for about a minute,then were all tired of it and it breaks up so all the guys go back upstairs to whatever they was doing and me and a girl I had met walk over to her place to get cleaned up.Never got my money but had alot of laughs over the years remembering the whole bar fighting each other over nothing in the middle of Kalakaua Ave. in the middle of the day.If theres a lesson here it might be be aware of your backside when your down shooting at the money ball in a pirate-place,cheers,Bob
i think the lesson to learn here is to have a girl to get cleaned up with:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Pocket 1---Welcome to the forum. There are some crusty old folks here who like to bust your chops. It's not really a good welcoming to you but I think you're on the right track by asking us what is the right thing to do. Some of these guys are probably in the sauce a bit so give them a little slack---they may give some good information when you really need it.

You can't always keep you eye on the table especially after the shot has ended. Even these old f+rts have to turn around to find their seat.

Your friend was wrong to move the move the cue ball and any other balls back to the original position without asking you. You have he right to decline in most situations but when there is outside interference---it is time for your guys to discuss.

Keep the questions coming--I think you will enjoy it here.

Tennessee Joe

Joe,

You are a true diplomat, we could use you at the United Nations:) . You are also correct about the sauce. I'm certain that SJD was into it pretty heavy last night:eek: .

Dennis

senor

Verified Member
lll said:
i think the lesson to learn here is to have a girl to get cleaned up with:D

I don't know about a girl from a pirate joint, but I see your point.

Attachments

• pirate-carribeanbabe.jpg
    pirate-carribeanbabe.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Joe,

You are a true diplomat, we could use you at the United Nations:) . You are also correct about the sauce. I'm certain that SJD was into it pretty heavy last night:eek: .

Dennis
are you sure about sjd??:rolleyes:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
pocket1 said:
I think the simplest solution would be to have the cueball replaced by you in it's original position. There were no other balls moved, but if there were, those should be replaced too. Then he would start his inning over.

The following section from the WPA standard rules doesn't seem to address an accidental touching caused by outside interference:

6.6 Touched Ball
It is a foul to touch, move or change the path of any object ball except by the normal ball-to-ball contacts during shots. It is a foul to touch, move or change the path of the cue ball except when it is in hand or by the normal tip-to-ball forward stroke contact of a shot. The shooter is responsible for the equipment he controls at the table, such as chalk, bridges, clothing, his hair, parts of his body, and the cue ball when it is in hand, that may be involved in such fouls. If such a foul is accidental, it is a standard foul, but if it is intentional, it is 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

If you believed that the guy was intentionally trying to pull a fast one on you, I'd quit, and would never play him again.

Doc