Giants 1970

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Before I turned 18 sometimes I would B.S. with Jersey Red at the end of the bar in LaCue Club in downtown Houston.

It was a classy poolroom and chock full of good players.

Red schooled me on the pecking order of the top one holers of the day.

He schooled me on the Johnston City tourney and what it was like.

He told me I played good and would probably win it and gave me his red raider chuckle, bahahaha.

I'm sure he was B.S.ing but he really did say that, no s--t!

But at J.C. I learned how to be a pro, a big time pro, I learned what it took to play at a top tier level. If you didn't learn from Johnston City you just couldn't learn I guess, lol.

the top one holers in 1970 were Ronnie Allen first, he gave the closes to him 9-8, Gave Ed Kelly 8-7, Lassiter 8-7, Weenie Beanie Staton I don't know, probably 9-8.

By 1971 Johnston City you could throw me in the top 2 to 5 in the pecking order, I had matured in my one hole game and could dance with anybody and believe me people I enjoyed dancing, bahahahah.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Keith,
You undoubtedly have great lineage & tutelage in One Pocket. I find it amazing that starting with Lineen, and then past on to Erovlino & Breit and then onto Rempe & Liscotti, and now past on to you from Jack, what lineage!

I know you spent your early years watching Breit the master, and learning the moves of One Pocket. Combine this with your ball pocketing and undoubtedly banking ability, and learning what it takes to get to that top level, then by the time '72 rolled around you were ready and willing to dance with anyone in One Pocket. Alf Taylor can attest to that!

Jack Breit was Ronnie's toughest opponent in OP, Ronnie stated this. And you were right there willing and ready!!!!

Great seeing you back threading again. One of my favorite threads of yours was your 9-ball match with Crane. I call players like Crane, Lassiter, and the like, 'constamment pros', you can rely on them, these guys are the real deal.

I am not sure about this; but I think Crane was not allowed to play at JC for I believe he was a Brunswick BCA sponsored player. But when 9-ball and OP was finally recognized as a game in '67 then he was allowed. Need Confirmation on this!!!

Crane was on the BCA rule committee during that time, but in the '67 BCA official rule book it did list JC results from '61-'67, so JC got full recognition.
thanks, Whitey

Last edited: