Help,help,help

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
For the past couple of weeks I seem to have lost interest in pool. I play but with no thought in to what I'm doing. My interest level is extremely poor at the present. I've never been in a slump like this. I'm asking for help on how to get out of pool jail. Thanks in advance

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
For the past couple of weeks I seem to have lost interest in pool. I play but with no thought in to what I'm doing. My interest level is extremely poor at the present. I've never been in a slump like this. I'm asking for help on how to get out of pool jail. Thanks in advance

You don’t happen to live in the White House do you?

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
no but if i had bet more when i played i would not have a house [played bad]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I cannot answer for you, but for me, One Pocket in particular helps with this condition -- and I actually mean this seriously :D:D

The reason is the creativity that the game itself offers, or maybe even demands. That always perks up my interest in pool.

But the other thing is, why are you playing pool? If you are mainly motivated by the money then you better win or you are going to get depressed from losing. But if it's more about the game than the money -- then look for games where the money is not a distraction, and enjoy the game. How much money on the game is not a distraction is up to you -- for some it might by quite a bit, for others not so much. I don't think that matters as long as you are getting more pleasure out of the game itself then whether you are winning or losing money.

I treat gambling at pool like an entertainment expense, so I keep it at a "fun" level so as not to completely take over my experience of the game itself.

Even if I lose some money, I can usually take away some satisfaction for a few shots or moves that were really cool (occasionally it is an opponent's shot lol). This kind of attitude has really helped me much more consistently enjoy pool every time I get out and play, win or lose.

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Ronnie Allen told me once that if the pockets seem to be to large if you bet enough they get smaller.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I am no help, but it is hard to maintain an interest in pool. You could morph into a world beater overnight, and all you would have access to us a half dozen guys with less that 40 bucks in their pockets and a couple local tournaments that pay 73 dollars for first place.

"We do it because we love the game". Well, ok, that is cool and all, but when people really love and are passionate about something, it is an almost 24/7 affair. Can't do that with pool; see above paragraph.

That last motivator is to play for recognition. I think this is the big one since there is nothing else for anyone. Guess what, nobody gives a damn how good you play. In fact, if you start playing really well, you will likely get a bunch of knuckleheads doing nothing but complain about your game, and you will get kicked out of all the 73 dollar tournaments.

You are pretty much ****ed.

unoperro

Verified Member
I am no help, but it is hard to maintain an interest in pool. You could morph into a world beater overnight, and all you would have access to us a half dozen guys with less that 40 bucks in their pockets and a couple local tournaments that pay 73 dollars for first place.

"We do it because we love the game". Well, ok, that is cool and all, but when people really love and are passionate about something, it is an almost 24/7 affair. Can't do that with pool; see above paragraph.

That last motivator is to play for recognition. I think this is the big one since there is nothing else for anyone. Guess what, nobody gives a damn how good you play. In fact, if you start playing really well, you will likely get a bunch of knuckleheads doing nothing but complain about your game, and you will get kicked out of all the 73 dollar tournaments.

Is "el chapo" spanish for the pessimist:D
All valid points but did you have to make it so harsh?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

We just had the Inaugural McCreery Invitational 3C tournament in NYC with over 600K in prize money! 150K for 1st, 90K for 2nd. I think that is a pretty good motivator to start playing 3 cushion more seriously!

chicagomike

Verified Member
Take a break...find something else to occupy your time for a while. Forcing it is no fun. Try another pool game for a while...straight pool or bank pool maybe. It will be there for you when you’re ready to come back.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

I pretty much agree , except I think you sugar coated it a bit.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Bmoretallpaul: "Help,help,help... For the past couple of weeks I seem to have lost interest in pool. I play but with no thought in to what I'm doing. My interest level is extremely poor at the present. I've never been in a slump like this. I'm asking for help on how to get out of pool jail. Thanks in advance."

I noticed from your post that you've been a member of onepocket.org since April of 2018 and have posted three times. That provides me with very little information regarding how long you have played, your current ability at one pocket or any other pool game.

My answer to your question is centered on my own thought of playing pool and never losing interest. I had played pool frequently as a teenager, intermittently during my 20's, 30's and hardly at all except for spurts in my 40's, 50's. But upon retirement at the age of 63, I no longer had the same roadblocking responsibilities as schooling, family, and employment.

I've played nearly everyday for the past 5 plus years and what has kept my interest is to "improve and compete." The interest is automatic because to improve you must dedicate your time and focus by practicing your weaknesses thereby gaining the confidence and ability to be able to compete in money games and tournaments.

In closing, I believe if you are not self-motivated to improve and compete then you will lose interest in the game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Quit 'til you itch.

Quit 'til you itch.

Take a break...find something else to occupy your time for a while.

Good advice, IMO, and I'm guessing it wouldn't work for TallPaul to play a different billiard game.

Quit 'til you itch.

If you've reached the point that you're thinking you can't ever become a better player than you are today, it might take the itch a loooong time to return.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If you've reached the point that you're thinking you can't ever become a better player than you are today, [/QUOTE]

I should have quit after my accident 15 years ago. My game has only gone down since then. I think I played better when I first started than now. Complete lack of any interest and playing for more money means I go broke faster. Pain and pool do not coincide.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I should have quit after my accident 15 years ago. My game has only gone down since then. I think I played better when I first started than now. Complete lack of any interest and playing for more money means I go broke faster. Pain and pool do not coincide.

True for a lot of us, but hope sure helps keep the fire burning. Without that, it's easy to be off and on and off and back on.

I can't imagine what it's like trying to play and think well when you're in pain.