One Pocket w/Mike Massey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing 1pocket w/Mike Massey whom I've known for many years. He is doing a couple of exhibitions at the pool room I play at in Fort Collins on his way to WY for a couple of tournaments. Always fun to see Mike so we arranged to play a couple hours of 1pocket before dinner and his show.

He was talking about the seniors one pocket tourney in Houston and is thinking about going. I hope he does as the stories to be told by him and the other "seniors" would be worth the price of admission. Sounds like it will be a blast. Good luck to all.

My wife, Diane, insisted on taking a picture...glad she did.

Dave

Attachments

• Mike Massey and Dave.jpg
    Mike Massey and Dave.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Great pic Dave, thanks for sharing!

I have seen many of his trick-shot exhibitions but never have seen him play one pocket.

With all due respect, how is his game? :)

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
Here is a video of him playing Brandon Shuff at the 2015 Hardtimes 10 & 1 Open courtesy POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBI5IQdYjwA&t=1s

If I recall Brandon won the match, can't remember how Mike played. I do remember that it seemed like his ball striking abilities let him down some. I think Rodney Morris beat Raphael Martinez in the finals of this event.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Mike is competitive in pretty much all the games, and I believe his one pocket would be the same. I know he finished near the top in some bar table tournaments in the last few years and I know he finished second in the US Amateur Snooker Championship some time back.

Like most of us old timers he plays all games and I look forward to seeing him in Houston next month.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
him

him

Great pic Dave, thanks for sharing!

I have seen many of his trick-shot exhibitions but never have seen him play one pocket.

With all due respect, how is his game? :)

Mike's game went down a little when he started to concentrate on his trick shot shows (good career move) from what I was told, he used to be a monster in his day (before we met). In the last couple years he's been playing more tournaments and getting himself back in playing shape, well as much in shape as a 71+ year old can get. He still does many things really well and we may have split the games. So enjoyable to play Mike and he helped me with shooting over a frozen or near frozen ball.

I mentioned to him that he stays solid and down on shots, especially the long tough ones, better than most pros I've seen and executes those shots really well. He said well being 300 lbs helps you stay down. Hahahahaha. I'm not sure he's 300 lbs but I'm now loading up the calories to add a little weight. LOLOL :eek::D:lol

Great pic Dave, you look healthy! Stay well my friend!

Thanks, Bill. I'm pretty healthy these days and wish the same for you.

Here is a video of him playing Brandon Shuff at the 2015 Hardtimes 10 & 1 Open courtesy POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBI5IQdYjwA&t=1s

If I recall Brandon won the match, can't remember how Mike played. I do remember that it seemed like his ball striking abilities let him down some. I think Rodney Morris beat Raphael Martinez in the finals of this event.

Thanks for the video, Erik. His ball striking is fine now, but like I said, there was a time he didn't practice because of his trick shot shows. This is probably one of those times.

Mike is competitive in pretty much all the games, and I believe his one pocket would be the same. I know he finished near the top in some bar table tournaments in the last few years and I know he finished second in the US Amateur Snooker Championship some time back.

Like most of us old timers he plays all games and I look forward to seeing him in Houston next month.

John, before I moved from No CA (maybe 1998ish) Mike was around for like a month. He played in a one pocket tourney at CA Billiards where we were playing each other and asked me if he could use a jump cue, I said I don't think you can. He asked Chet and he allowed it. He hit the jump shot so badly that he opened the stack and sold out. I was laughing so hard and teasing him suggesting he could use the jump cue anytime, I missed my first ball so he ran out. hahahahaha

I hope he makes it to Houston, you all will have a ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
"Tennessee Tarzan" meets the "Colorado Crusher"...:D

CK asked about Mike's 1P game. I watched him play Cliff a few years ago in Tunica. He gave Cliff all he could handle. Cliff squeaked by for the win, but not by much.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies!

I guess when you have a good stroke, it translates well into all billiard games! I would not have thought he would be able to compete at a higher level in one hole but I see I am wrong, thanks again for the feedback!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks for the replies!

I guess when you have a good stroke, it translates well into all billiard games! I would not have thought he would be able to compete at a higher level in one hole but I see I am wrong, thanks again for the feedback!

I’m working on my stroke for Derby time next year. See you then:D
If I only had Dave to help me it would go a lot faster and better

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
great pic dave of you and mike massey
i understand mike plays pretty sporty 3 cushion also

Larry, Mike loves 3-cushion but doesn't play it enough to really play well, but some of his shots and strokes are amazing.

You with 300 pounds? Youre going to lose a hunnert? Tough road.

I'm determined! hahahahaha

Earl showed me a healthier way by putting 150 lbs on my arm. :heh

You are a funny man. Here's a picture of me and Earl as teamates during one of his exhibitions (I paid $10 and tried to explain the concept of solidarity and talked him into letting me wear one of his arm weights), I know what you mean.

I’m working on my stroke for Derby time next year. See you then:D
If I only had Dave to help me it would go a lot faster and better

Woe is Me! I can't stroke, I can't play, I don't have a beautiful and charming wife....

You're a funny man, Jim. Hope you're well Champ! (but thanks for the compliment).

Love, your roomie. :)