Back to normal (almost)

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Finally getting back to a normal life after relocating to AZ, selling two houses and buying a new one. Been able to play and think more about the game than all
the other stuff happening. Feels great. Anyhow, one of the guys I play with swears there is a shot where the two balls on the spot, ball in hand situation you can make both balls. I don't see how this possible without some extremely lucky roll. Not that I want to argue with the guy just want to know I'm not missing something.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Finally getting back to a normal life after relocating to AZ, selling two houses and buying a new one. Been able to play and think more about the game than all
the other stuff happening. Feels great. Anyhow, one of the guys I play with swears there is a shot where the two balls on the spot, ball in hand situation you can make both balls. I don't see how this possible without some extremely lucky roll. Not that I want to argue with the guy just want to know I'm not missing something.

A shot one of my friends lovingly refers to as “The McGintney”. CB is shot at the first spotted ball using draw. By using draw, follow is transferred to the first ball which forces it into the corner pocket. The second(back) ball banks 2 times back into the same hole. Someone I’m sure will post a diagram.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member

Yes... just shoot the draw shot to make the headball. Sometimes you can double bank the back ball in.
It is rare.
When the score is right for me or the table is lying right, I may shoot this shot with either straight draw or a tip of inside.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
You can play to make one or the other, The front ball can be played using draw to put top spin on it and by positioning the cue ball at the right spot so that you can transfer the English to it's fullest. The back ball will travel two rails toward your pocket too but will be a little short.
To get the back ball to go you must cut the head ball a bit more to throw it more. This makes pocketing the head ball more difficult. It takes a powerful stroke to hit the head ball off center and still get enough transfer of English on the head ball to have it go toward the hole. But I've seen it done.

beatle

Verified Member
of course i wouldnt think about doing this but you can angle the balls a little and make it happen much more often, or angle them the other way if your opponent is shooting.

if they do check things you would do it perfectly for them and at the last minute say stop they arent straight and give them the final adjustment which no one ever goes back to check as that makes it look like they dont trust you.

you have to learn the slightly different spots to hit the first ball with the different angles, the place to place the cueball and your speed and english especially to get the cue ball back where you want it.

its a shot like the break that needs hours of practice to perfect. but determines whether you win or lose in many games.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
A shot one of my friends lovingly refers to as “The McGintney”. CB is shot at the first spotted ball using draw. By using draw, follow is transferred to the first ball which forces it into the corner pocket. The second(back) ball banks 2 times back into the same hole. Someone I’m sure will post a diagram.
Pretty standard shot, Mike, as you know. Many refer to it as the "Okie Doke" shot. We've discussed it many times here on the forum; not only how to shoot it, but WHEN to shoot it..;) I shoot it only if I need both balls. But some advocate shooting almost all the time.

~Doc

powerball

Verified Member
okie-dokie

okie-dokie

you can find a short video on youtube of Efren teaching this shot. Pretty cool!

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Thanks guys,

Interesting info, I seriously doubt I have the stroke to accomplish the shot I'm
really happy when I can occasionally make one ball in that situation.