One pocket story

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Here is a little something for Fast Lenny and especially Steve Lomako. Lenny was asking for a Onepocket story and Lomako would probably be very interested to hear that Black Jones, the legendary backer from the Rack called me the other day. I havent seen him in 30 yrs. He went to jail for a long time, but he has been out for about 7yrs. I thought he was dead. He is 78 yrs old. He heard I was writing about Romberg playing Weenie Beenie, when "Boogie," (Romberg, nee Kenny Remus) beat Beeenie out of 200k. Beenie told the story to a magazine in 1998 and Jones said it was all wrong. He said he wrote a letter to the mag from jail with the real story, but they never printed it.

He is sending me the letter, asking me to make it public. It will certainly be interesting.

Lomako, did you know Jones was still around?

Beard

And no, he doesnt seem to recall the Claim Jumper as a viable pool player in his memories. Who woulda figured?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Here is a little something for Fast Lenny and especially Steve Lomako. Lenny was asking for a Onepocket story and Lomako would probably be very interested to hear that Black Jones, the legendary backer from the Rack called me the other day. I havent seen him in 30 yrs. He went to jail for a long time, but he has been out for about 7yrs. I thought he was dead. He is 78 yrs old. He heard I was writing about Romberg playing Weenie Beenie, when "Boogie," (Romberg, nee Kenny Remus) beat Beeenie out of 200k. Beenie told the story to a magazine in 1998 and Jones said it was all wrong. He said he wrote a letter to the mag from jail with the real story, but they never printed it.

He is sending me the letter, asking me to make it public. It will certainly be interesting.

Lomako, did you know Jones was still around?

Beard

And no, he doesnt seem to recall the Claim Jumper as a viable pool player in his memories. Who woulda figured?

He was stopping by my place after he was done with the halfway house bit and getting settled in after the vacation. He lives close by me and the room but things were dying then. He's friends with Enzo and I think Zo still talks to him once in a while.

He was going out to Hall of Fame on the east side for a little bit but things were getting dead there too so he never really got involved in anything even though he told us (me and Zo) we could try and do something. Nobody around here will bet like he likes to bet so that didn't pan out too well plus he was older and just didn't care for it like the old days.

I've been out of the room for over 2 years now and he hasn't been around since before that.

He was involved with the Kwame Kilpatrick/Bobby Ferguson Detroit crew because of the business experience he has but he never got caught up with the shit they all stepped in.

Jones was always a great guy.

It'll be interesting to see what the letter holds.

Beenie good/Whitey bad. :eek: :lol

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

So then, it is O.K. for live guys to knock dead guys? I've got to write this shit down just to keep track:p.

P.S. There probably ain't no angels who were also poolplayers in a previous life.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just got a package from Detroit "Jones." It is a 6 page letter he wrote to Pool and Billiard magazine in 1998 -- from his jail cell. It is the true story of what actually transpired in the Romberg/Weenie Beenie session at the Rack in 1977.

Jones is intelligent and tells it like if he was really a billiard reporter. Interesting and informative.

Questions answered: Did Beenie really bet and lose his car? Did Beenie really lose 200k Who was in with Beenie? And did anyone know that his name wasn't "Jones" at all? No part of it. Speaking of names, "Jones" didnt know Romberg's real first or last name. What was Romberg's cut of the action? Was he in with the side bets?

I intend to type the whole thing out and post it up on my website soon. I'll put up a link here as soon as I am done. "Jones" also sent me a couple of photos of himself.

Beard

This kind of stuff is my long suit, not wasting what little ink I have left, bickering in Flame Wars.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Just got a package from Detroit "Jones." It is a 6 page letter he wrote to Pool and Billiard magazine in 1998 -- from his jail cell. It is the true story of what actually transpired in the Romberg/Weenie Beenie session at the Rack in 1977.

Jones is intelligent and tells it like if he was really a billiard reporter. Interesting and informative.

Questions answered: Did Beenie really bet and lose his car? Did Beenie really lose 200k Who was in with Beenie? And did anyone know that his name wasn't "Jones" at all? No part of it. Speaking of names, "Jones" didnt know Romberg's real first or last name. What was Romberg's cut of the action? Was he in with the side bets?

I intend to type the whole thing out and post it up on my website soon. I'll put up a link here as soon as I am done. "Jones" also sent me a couple of photos of himself.

Beard

This kind of stuff is my long suit, not wasting what little ink I have left, bickering in Flame Wars.

Beanie told about the incident in an interview to Steve B. right on this site also, Beard. Said he pawned his car for 7,500 and lost another set. Later gave his girl a thousand to fly out there to pay them and drive it home. Offered to play more if they would just adjust the game to 9-8 on Rombergs break and they said no dice. Looking forward to reading his account.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm looking forward to reading this too -- because like Jimmy said, Beenie described it to me from his perspective when I interviewed him in 2005.

Thanks Freddy!