You vs. Him #357

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am just bringing the 8-ball home. I don't think it goes without wacking it to shorten the angle, which I would definitely not do, so I am hoping to leave it hanging around my hole like this:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-03-27_23-08-46.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-03-27_23-08-46.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

bstroud

Verified Member
So many choices.

I like the straight back on the one ball with right English and up the table to the end rail near or behind the 9 ball.

The 9 ball bank is open to go one rail and kill the cue ball up table.

If I were to bank the 8 ball I would bank it into the 7 ball for best effect.

You could just follow the cue ball to the side rail off the 8 ball.

Bill S.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

The eight goes for him but not for you so just go ahead and pot it and run some balls, if it lays like I think it does, either this way or going three rails around. Shootchacockoff...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Lotta options here...besides banking the 8 in, or into the stack, as much or better, I like shooting the 4-2 combination-bank here at medium speed/low inside english - because the angle is perfect for controlling/killing the cueball by hitting my opponents long rail a diamond or two to the left of the side pocket...you will get good offensive ball action with this shot, or you may make the 2 cross-corner - and it doesn't matter if the 2 ball throws and rubs the 7 ball on it's way across either...this close-up pic shows me that I can see/hit enough of the 4 ball for this shot to be available...

- Ghost

Attachments

• youhim3.jpg
    youhim3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Lotta options here...besides banking the 8 in, or into the stack, as much or better, I like shooting the 4-2 combination-bank here at medium speed/low inside english - because the angle is perfect for controlling/killing the cueball by hitting my opponents long rail a diamond or two to the left of the side pocket...you will get good offensive ball action with this shot, or you may make the 2 cross-corner - and it doesn't matter if the 2 ball throws and rubs the 7 ball on it's way across either...this close-up pic shows me that I can see/hit enough of the 4 ball for this shot to be available...

- Ghost[/

If you can hit enough of the 4ball to control the cue ball with a medium hard speed I like the shot even more. Looks like the 2ball will brush the 7ball and if so the 2ball may bank into the 12ball and could possibly score the 12ball. If not it still looks to be a good option that will produce positive action. I also like your cue ball action with an inside ball. With an inside ball you can afford to shoot the shot with a harder speed and be assured of cutting down the possibility of selling out a return shot. If I would opt to play off the 8ball I would play to score the bank and draw the cue ball to the top rail and come back down table near the side rail 1/3 of the table for position on either the 6ball or 14ball. With this hot if the 8ball should happen to hit the balls going short of the pocket then the 6 an 14ball will be interfering balls in protecting balls that could be around my pocket.

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
From the top view the 4-2 combo looks like it would hit too much of the 7 ball to be a valid shot.

Bill S.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

- Ghost

Good eye there Ghost. But I would probably scratch in the side.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
From the top view the 4-2 combo looks like it would hit too much of the 7 ball to be a valid shot.

Bill S.

You are correct sir. Best shot bank the 8 ball to make and go uptable on your opponents side. If you make the 8 ball the 4/12 ball is wired

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There are two shots I like here. First I like the bank on the eight. It is staring me right in the face saying "pick me pick me". But I like controling the cue ball with inside english playing it two rails off the side rail. This will kill the cue ball, provide position for a follow-up shot, and it will stay on a diagonal angle where the other loose balls will help hide the eight should the bank be missed.

The second shot I would be interested in is the bank on the one ball. This is not a difficult bank and the cue ball can be controled to any number of positions on the opposite rail which will offer both position should the bank be made and concealment should the one end up close to my hole.

One thing, I'm not much in favor of the four-two bank because personally I don't like disturbing the stack and going up table with the cue ball unless I know exactly what to expect. I've seen too many times where a dead ball is left for the opposition or an unexpected ball leaks out onto my opponent's side of the table. That being said if this shot is taken and it goes in there will be plenty to shoot at from there.

Tom

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like the 4-2 combo bank and it looks like the two will pass the seven.No need to take the cue ball up table. You can leave it the the area and you will be in position to run a lot of balls.

The only other balls that will be disturbed would be the 12 and the five but they will be moved in your favor. At the worse you will have a ball very near your hole with the 15 ball possibly making banks for him a bit difficult.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I like both shots equally well...I think this is one that could go either way..IMHO... If forced to make a choice, I'd give banking the one a very slight edge !

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like the 4-2 combo bank and it looks like the two will pass the seven.No need to take the cue ball up table. You can leave it the the area and you will be in position to run a lot of balls.

The only other balls that will be disturbed would be the 12 and the five but they will be moved in your favor. At the worse you will have a ball very near your hole with the 15 ball possibly making banks for him a bit difficult.

Frank,
These photos of situations always seem to present a distorted view to me but I fail to see more than a half ball hit on the four. If that is the case the four must run into the edge of the twelve and then into the side of the five on an angle. Depending on the speed the four is likely to run towards the other guy's pocket. I also see holding the cue ball from doing a bit of traveling as a dificult task.

If none of what I suggest is correct and your analysis is right than the combo bank is a teriffic shot in this situation and I applaud all those who saw it. I sure didn't. JMO humble or not.

Tom

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank,
These photos of situations always seem to present a distorted view to me but I fail to see more than a half ball hit on the four. If that is the case the four must run into the edge of the twelve and then into the side of the five on an angle. Depending on the speed the four is likely to run towards the other guy's pocket. I also see holding the cue ball from doing a bit of traveling as a dificult task.

If none of what I suggest is correct and your analysis is right than the combo bank is a teriffic shot in this situation and I applaud all those who saw it. I sure didn't. JMO humble or not.

Tom

Tom, looking at the third picture down from what Dennis posted, it looks like to play the four-two combination bank, you would need to slightly cut the four ball which in turn will not hit the two ball full. The two then should pass the seven ball and take a bit of induced right english so after it hits the rail is should head toward the pocket. Using a bit of right english on the cue ball should hold it in that area.

Of course I would have to be at the table make a clear assesment of the shot.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Bank 1 or 8

Bank 1 or 8

IMO banking the 8 with inside english or Banking the 1 with a punch stroke TOM WIRTH is right on the money. I like banking the 8 ,because the 1 is on your side already.Also if you make the 8 you can play the 1 next and come across the table for for other shots to lock up the game.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I dont like baking the one here because it can possibly go somewhere real bad. I like the 8; I don't like that 8 ball bank with inside though, feel i'd have to cut it thinner. Just for me, I will make it more often with outside (where is brumback anyway?). I'd be planning to cut the one next shot; my shot would be almost like what jimmy suggested, maybe a little softer on the speed.